Cedar Point worst day

collin.klopfstein

58 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Is this rare?

I don’t know any official stats but I find MF to be one of the more reliable coasters in the park, even above the B&Ms.  But yeah it goes down occasionally, like all coasters do.  I can recall only one time when it was down all day so there is a really good chance you can a ride it today.  

What have you accomplished so far?

(and dude, ask CP questions in a CP thread :P)

• Like 4

I had a horrible experience at Cedar Point today, waited 5 hours in millennium force line just to shut down because of weather, waited 2 hours for maverick, and that was it, the weather was horrible but hen it cleared up and I go to millennium force line again wait 40 minutes, almost to the station with my brother, he says he is going to get a drink from the vending machine in the queue line, comes back and this one worker said we have to go to the very back it’s not allowed, WHATS THE POINT OF A VENDING MACHINE IN A QUEUE LINE THEN!!!??? So we leave the park... done , 9 hours at the park and only 1 ride

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

I had a horrible experience at Cedar Point today, waited 5 hours in millennium force line just to shut down because of weather, waited 2 hours for maverick, and that was it, the weather was horrible but hen it cleared up and I go to millennium force line again wait 40 minutes, almost to the station with my brother, he says he is going to get a drink from the vending machine in the queue line, comes back and this one worker said we have to go to the very back it’s not allowed, WHATS THE POINT OF A VENDING MACHINE IN A QUEUE LINE THEN!!!??? So we leave the park... done , 9 hours at the park and only 1 ride

I'm my experience, the earlier in the season you can get to CP, do so... We went on June 10th and our longest wait, was for SV about 45 minutes... However 'do to the nature of the restraints' i.e.  I'm on the bigger side, I got WOS off most everything... My wife and kids however were able to get on what was up and running pretty quickly... If you give it another chance, and I suggest you do, visit earlier in the season... Or, I know the prices can get salty, go for FLP at least for the visit... My day was pretty bad after the first 3 WOS off rides I didnt try anything else... To be fair, I should have checked test seats before hand, but lesson learned... 

• Like 3

No matter what park you are at waiting in line while a coaster is down is a huge risk.   While it is possible to come out ahead, more often than not it is a loosing proposition.  You just never know how long it will be down and the park can’t tell you because they don’t know how long it will take to fix it.  

The golden rule of lines is “you move, you loose”.  The vending machines are there to use as you pass by them.  Not to go forwards or backwards in line.  As an older person I just can’t be in a line for 2 hours so I feel your pain and sure wish the parks could develop a “virtual que” but such systems are complex and expensive for seasonal parks that operate on very thin margins.  

A trick I use for hydration is to wear cargo shorts and also carry a couple of the 16oz Mylar collapsible water bottles with sports caps in my pocket or clipped to my belt with a small carabiner.  32oz of water should keep me safe for long time even on a hot day.  My bladder is another story so I just don’t do the monster lines and find something else to do.     

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

A 5 hour line on Millennium force? Most of the time you can almost walk into the ramp... maybe you just went on a really bad day.

No, there is another CP thread on this.  He waited in line while the ride was down, plus there were small but strong storm cells passing close by that caused weather delays.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, collin.klopfstein said:

So Cedar Point’s policies are kind of strange from time to time. I think there’s still some Kinzel in the air there occasionally.

I know a family that’s not really into the park stuff, but they made a trip up there earlier in the season. It was a cold and rainy day. Most rides ran, Maverick did not. They saw it running so they went to the back of the park where a bunch of people congregated wanting to ride. An employee at the entrance said it was down due to weather. They watched as the ride crew rode the ride continuously for 15 minutes. Someone asked again if the ride was going to open soon. The ride op said that with the weather the way it is he didn’t know if it would reopen that day. He was then switched out for another employee and the first employee went up and began to ride himself.

I don’t know every detail of the story but the perception was really bad and the employees didn’t seem to care. The family came back saying they had fun but “the employees were all so rude.” 

• Like 3

I know CPs policies are very strict but this one family we witnessed does make a good point-

They purchased those portable fans that shoot water out from one of the shops so they dont melt waiting in line.

They got all the way up to get on a ride and they kicked them out of line saying either throw them away or leave the queue line and put them in a locker... Now, the perception of the device is to use it while waiting but its illegal to use in their lines. So they were able to get a refund on them but that is ridiculous.

CP is all about load times and not much on customer satisfaction.  

We know how they are though so we kick it up a notch when someone tries to cut in front of us because they know someone further down the line..

We typically call them out loud and dare them to lay a finger on one of us. Cedar Point staff completely agrees and sides with us when taking charge in lines. Break the rules, the wrath of the staff or some random person awaits.

We dont do that anywhere else because all other parks are laid back but we have to be pretty much security at CP because it happens so often there. People getting arrested and others simply getting thrown out the park is fairly common.

They are not playing when it comes to breaking the rules.

• Like 1

Sorry that you had a difficult day at CP. CP is a great park to visit normally.  Intamin coasters are down a lot although MF and Wicked Twister became much more reliable over the years. 

For future reference, Saturdays are really busy.  For a strange reason, Fridays are not as busy as Mondays.  Sundays in September and October are the best time to go. My annual trips to CP is the second Sunday of September.  Very nice weather along with small crowds every trip since 2009.  We normally get around 16 to 20 rides by 3 pm in those days.  2 years ago, we got 1 MF, 8 Maverick, 5 Magnum, 2 TTD, 2 GateKeeper, 1 Raptor and 1 Wicked Twister and left by 3 pm.  Last year, we got 1 SV, 8 Maverick, 8 Magnum, 2 TTD, 1 MF and 2 Raptor and left at 3:30 pm. 

• Like 2

I can remember in 2000 when SoB first opened the issues it had.  We drove from Erie PA to KI 3x before finally getting on (only to be incredibly disappointed, but that is another conversation).

It's easy to have hindsight, but waiting for more than 30 minutes for a broken down MF was not a good decision.  The ride has been around long enough that the bugs have been worked out long ago.  The pic you took looks like an indicator light/ proxy switch replacement (possibly the proxy switch indication for the transfer track), which can take some time to tweak in just right.  There are likely safety protocols in place for x-cycles needed when a device like this is replaced.

• Like 1

Used the groups advise today, was in line for Maverick, waited about 30 minutes, breakdown. 

Group I was with was like "do we stay", my quick response, "nope".  Got out and walked over to MF, 25 minutes later on a train having a great ride.  Also met some cool people and had a great conversation in that line.

Went back later in the day and rode Maverick, only 35 minutes wait. 

Was it the right choice? Statistically speaking I guess so, as I heard from someone else in line it was only down for 45 minutes. 

But I think playing the time gamble game is a losing proposition, as you don't know the reason for the breakdown.  I'd rather be in a line with people looking forward to riding, rather than holding onto hope for reopening.

• Like 5