Roller Coaster Air Compressors

jensenracing77

I am always fastened by the workings of a ride. I would actually love to be a maintenance guy or mechanic for the park but could never move to the area. I was wondering if the park has one central air compressor to feed most of the rides or one at each ride? I would assume each ride that requires it has it's own. Wondering what size they are and what brands they find most reliable. 

• Like 1

I want to say each ride has its own.  I'm not the expert, so if anyone has more info feel free to chime in.

On a side note, the Larson Looper at KK (and maybe all of them for all I know) has a setup in which the operator has to physically put an air hose onto the train to release the restraints.  Seems very carnival-ish. 

Many rides at KI received new Quincy QGD screw compressors in the 2017-2018 off season. Most rides I have seen use Quincy, though some also use Kaeser or Ingersoll-Rand as well. 

Each ride has its own compressor. Rides like Skyhawk or Power Tower at CP (driven by compressed air) use multiple Ingersoll-Rand compressors to provide the higher air volume. 

Vortex was one of the rides that received a new compressor- it went down this season for several days, and in that time a portable Kaeser compressor was brought in and patched to the pneumatic system while the Quincy was repaired. 

• Like 3

On 8/26/2019 at 1:36 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

I want to say each ride has its own.  I'm not the expert, so if anyone has more info feel free to chime in.

On a side note, the Larson Looper at KK (and maybe all of them for all I know) has a setup in which the operator has to physically put an air hose onto the train to release the restraints.  Seems very carnival-ish. 

I feel like I saw the same at Six Flags St. Louis as well on their Larson Loop.