Cedar Point - Places to stay

Hueney020

I’ve stayed at the Magnuson Hotel near the intersection of Route 250 and 2 a few times. It’s nothing fancy but the rooms are cheap, clean and the beds are comfortable. And the water pressure for taking showers is amazing lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My girlfriend and I have stayed at a few places on our trips up this year. With budget in mind here is our current rundown in order of our favorite to least:

Motel 6 In Milan: This one was our favorite, the price is good and the rooms seemed to be more recently renovated. They also have a working Fridge and Microwave in the rooms. (The rooms also have an interesting 60s aesthetic and hardwood floors)

Super 8 Motel in Milan: This is across the street from the Motel 6. The rooms here were nice as well. bottom floor has a back door to the rooms too which is nice for quick loading and unloading the car. This one is about as high on the list as the Motel 6, we just like the renovations at the Motel 6 a little more. (The only downside is you will be about 20 minutes from the park in either of these first two}

Magnuson East Sandusky: This was our first hotel we tried this year, the location is just a couple minutes from the park and the price is fair, so if distance is important this one if a little better than the first two. I think the only real issues here is that there is a bit of a strange smell you have to get used to (But hey its a hotel and thats usually normal) and the walls seemed a bit thin as we could hear our neighbors all night (But that could just be noisy neighbors) There are mixed reviews online, some mentioned bedbugs, but i inspected our rooms each time and never found any issues personally. 

Norwalk Inn: (Farthest from the park) This was the cheapest by far, however we did not stay. Management seemed nice enough and it lookes nice on the outside, however the room we got was in pretty bad condition, dirty and pretty beat up with a non working microwave and fridge. Both my girlfriend and I didn't feel comfortable after getting there and opted for the Super 8 instead. This one was the only one under 100 a night (We were looking to save some money) but like Ding Dong said, it gets pretty dicey when you dip that low. ( we looked at a few other cheap places but also opted out) 

Hope this helps, as you can see we had to do some experimenting to find a place and will likely go for the top 2 any time a trip comes up again unless we can find any better recommendations that are closer.

You can also look in the trip planning threads on pointbuzz for some recommendations.  There are a few that get panned but can’t remember the names.  Management/ownership changes so something from 5 years ago may not be relevant.   

Do not stay at Maui Sands.  Travel Channel did a horrendous show on that pit.  

If you can camp and really want to save money there is Camp Sandusky and Crystal Rock Campgrounds. I think you can get a basic tent site for about $28.  Also basic cabins for about $60.  I usually just drive home but have thrown a tent and bags in the trunk a few times when planning long days in case I just wasn’t up for the 2.25 hour drive home.  Not sure about CR but CS reportedly has some road noise but some earbuds while falling asleep can mitigate that.  

I like The Maples Motel.  It's on Cleveland Rd, about 8 minutes or so from the causeway.  Very much a 50's feel, owned by an individual not a franchisee.  Was affordable.  Good water pressure, but military style shower heads.  No renovations have been made, but I found that refreshing.  He has gourmet donuts, fruit and juice in the office every morning for free.  The only downside is a VERY loud train across Cleveland Rd, there is a crossing and the horn is jarring.  But after about 5 passes, I was used to it.  The owner is extremely nice.

I've stayed at the Econo Lodge on U.S. 6 across from The Thirsty Pony. It was fairly close to the park and convenient for us, especially having driven from here in Batavia to Sandusky, leaving at 7AM, arriving at Noon and staying until close. The least I have to stay in the car, the better.

Camp Sandusky is also good (SR 2 and SR 101, near Friendship and McDonald's) if you are into tent camping or cabin camping. The cabins are relatively small but can sleep multiple people. The amenities vary dependent on the cabin but all have electric. There is a public bath house on site for showers and any other necessities. It was serviceable given I was able to get in a couple hours sleep for Coastermania and a good night's sleep when all was said and done. 

I haven't been up to Cedar Point this year, but last year I did end up staying at the Hampton Inn in Fremont. It was decent and one of the nicer rooms I've stayed in but that drive from the park to Fremont after being at the park open to close, coming from Cincinnati that morning, was rather draining.

• 2 weeks later...

I stayed at that Econolodge this past Sept 13th and 14th. I found a deal and got it for like $70 a night. Clean newly renovated rooms and the beds are not hard. But the walls seem very thin. I was woke up at about 7am and could hear everything going on in the bathroom next door. I should not be able to hear or be woken up by the neighbors shower. I will not stay here again. I wanted to try Seacrest as I have heard good things but it was booked solid.

Magnuson East is a great place for the money.  Right near the park, and can be had on Hotwire or other sites for less than $50 per night.  

Wolf Inn is ok, as long as you ask for and get one of the renovated rooms in the old executive building.  The other rooms are old and smoky.  But, for sometimes $35 ish a night, it's a place to sleep.

If you scout it out, you can catch rooms at the Express on Hotwire for less than $70 per night, and the rooms there are clean and comfortable.  

If you have a group of 6 or more, the cabins and cottages at Lighthouse Point turn into a great deal since the price per person ends up well under 100 most days. I prefer the cottages over the cabins because of the patio with the lake view, but on my last stay, the cabin I was in was essentially directly under Maggie's turnaround, which was a really cool thing to wake up to out the window.