Winterfest 2019 Discussion.

SnakePlissken

1 hour ago, brent said:

As of yet not listed. I cant imagine it wouldn’t be. 

When they were building the ride back in January, they made a twitter ad with one of the maintenance people driving the car. So, I think because they could work in cold temperatures it is a good possibility that they would be open.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

Les Taxis did run during Winterfest in 1991, so I would think Kings Mills Antique Autos would be running this year. I think the website is still showing the attractions from last year and has not yet been updated.

I think you are right unless there changing brewhouse back to the reds for winterfest 0E3988EE-50AE-4D05-BD04-67B4C0136CB0.png

• Like 3

The Blue Ridge Tollway runs atKings Dominion Winterfest.   Since part of the damage the Paramount did to that park was removing the train, the antique cars there are the 12 days of Christmas ride   

It would be nice if they would refresh some of the less produced shows like The Mistletones, Jingle Jazz, Sounds of the Nativity with new songs.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kifan6754 said:

You just look up Kings Island winterfest https://www.visitkingsisland.com/play/winterfest

Wow. I had no idea. I literally typed it in and it didnt work but I used your link and it worked so thanks!

ALSO, here are two things:

1. I wonder if it will cost $40 for the carriage ride again

2. I wonder what improvements they will make to Tinsel Town. Last year it seemed that area of the park was lacking what was stated it would be.

• Like 1

I agree the set lists need to be updated. With the huge number of pass holders making multiple repeat visits they definitely need to refresh shows ever 2-3 years. Even if they just rotated a few in rep every few seasons. Traditions are nice, but you don’t want to get too stale. 

• Like 3

Tinseltown 

On 9/8/2019 at 6:44 PM, Klabergian Empire said:

2. I wonder what improvements they will make to Tinsel Town. Last year it seemed that area of the park was lacking what was stated it would be.

That’s an area that can get stronger with more 50s 60s style decorations.    Placing The Mistletones in that area was a great move last year.   

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 6:43 PM, super7 said:

The Blue Ridge Tollway runs atKings Dominion Winterfest.   Since part of the damage the Paramount did to that park was removing the train, the antique cars there are the 12 days of Christmas ride.

I'm personally not a fan of the 12 days of Christmas train ride. I'd rather have the train go past different scenes and have different types of music play like at Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

• Like 3

On 9/10/2019 at 10:31 PM, SonofBaconator said:

I'm personally not a fan of the 12 days of Christmas train ride. I'd rather have the train go past different scenes and have different types of music play like at Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

I’m not a fan of any Christmas lights on metal frames in general.  I prefer them on trees shrubs or buildings.     

• Like 2

Agree. It’s a lazy way to theme something. I thought the White Christmas Express was a great idea during WF2005. It could’ve used a bit more ummmpf but would love to see them build on that idea. The 12 days things could maybe be a big walkthrough along “winter fest way” and move the stained glass stuff to a different location. 

• Like 3

On 9/11/2019 at 8:17 AM, brent said:

Agree. It’s a lazy way to theme something. I thought the White Christmas Express was a great idea during WF2005. It could’ve used a bit more ummmpf but would love to see them build on that idea. The 12 days things could maybe be a big walkthrough along “winter fest way” and move the stained glass stuff to a different location. 

I was thinking 12 Days would be perfect for the antique cars.  The train is just to big an synonymous with Christmas for a throw-together attraction like that.  I feel like the train really is the only thing that didn't exceed my expectations with Winterfest. 

• Like 4

I think a decent idea for the train during WinterFest is to literally put lights the whole course of the track. For example, they could string lights on trees and bushes, on the parts of Diamondback that interact with the train, the rails of the bridge, Fort Coney, etc. As for the 12 Days of Christmas, I agree with @brent, @BoddaH1994, and @standbyme. It would work really well with the Antique Cars (assuming they will be open). Im not saying that the park should NOT use the train, it could just use a theme update for WinterFest. Even with the 12 Days of Christmas, the train during Winterfest is usually at full rides even with both engines running (or at least the times I've been there). And look at the benefits of the trains running. It's a ride open at WinterFest, it's a nice way to relax for a little bit after walking around the park, if it snows the scenery can be AWESOME, etc. So, all the train needs is a little retheming for WinterFest and the train could become one of the biggest attractions at WinterFest.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I was thinking 12 Days would be perfect for the antique cars.  The train is just to big an synonymous with Christmas for a throw-together attraction like that.  I feel like the train really is the only thing that didn't exceed my expectations with Winterfest. 

I agree.  Having seen what they did with the train for Winterfest in 2005, I was expecting something similar.  The live entertainment they had in the station for that incarnation was amazing.  I echo your sentiments that it just seemed underwhelming compared to the rest of the event, especially with all the live entertainment offerings at Winterfest.  

The Winterfest in 2005 had a parade, which was always fun.  I know that Carowinds is adding the Winterfest Wonderland Parade for this year`s version of their event.  With the success that Grand Carnivale had, I wonder if Kings Island will also add a parade to this year`s Winterfest lineup.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, super7 said:

There are some major trees around the train. It would look amazing if there were lights in them. It would also be labor-intensive to do that 

Expensive as well,  and not just for the labor cost for the amount of time it would take to string that many lights.  The train loop is around a mile long.  So lights for a mile's worth of lights on both sides I think would be pretty costly just in acquiring the hardware to do it.  

• Like 1

Does anyone have full or at least a reasonable amount of footage of the 2005 train so that those who didn’t get to experience it could see what we are talking about?

The short of it was that you would accompany a WWII Army person on her voyage home (don’t want to say ‘soldier’ because they would be historically unlikely and they didn’t really mention her function). Anyway, she would sing in the station as well as a couple of times during the route. The train would stop and she would get off and be embraced by her family. Then the train would continue and it would be your turn to go home for the holidays.  

Produced by Jack Rouse Associates

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WhatTheBlazes said:

Expensive as well,  and not just for the labor cost for the amount of time it would take to string that many lights.  The train loop is around a mile long.  So lights for a mile's worth of lights on both sides I think would be pretty costly just in acquiring the hardware to do it.  

Maybe Coney Island is interested in selling their Christmas displays.

• Like 2