Winterfest 2019 Discussion.

SnakePlissken

If the description is correct, it will be a welcome sight to see a 40 foot Christmas tree return to Winterfest Way.  Last year they moved that tree over to Coney Mall by the Zepher and Winterfest Way was lacking something nice (just the white lights did not do much for the pathway).  

F0D15A17-EE51-464D-A945-D616E4D0E102.png

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:24 PM, FUN&ONLY! said:

I think Cedar Fair handles Winterfest really well! I don’t ever see Banshee and Diamondback running in the cold weather because that would damage the rides. Also, Winterfest is not about the rides, it is about the experience and the atmosphere. Kings Island and Cedar Fair have done a great job of making Kings Island’s Winterfest one of the best Christmas events around. I really enjoy it! I would not want Six Flags to touch Winterfest! Renaming it to Holiday in the Park would also take away the nostalgia factor that Winterfest has. People remember going to Winterfest as a kid, and now they are taking their kids and making new memories together as a family.

I would have liked for all the Kings Island events to be called "Fest"  Definitely keep Winterfest.  I liked the name FearFest better.  Coasterstock could be CoasterFest.  FoodTruckFest.  Granted our Oktoberfest area was more lively back in the day, but it was kinda cool to have that "fest" tie in to the events, and then be able to go into that area of the park for each one and see what kind of beer they had on tap, what kind of music was playing inside of Festhaus etc 

• Like 3

On 10/14/2019 at 1:10 PM, Outdoor Man said:

Here's hoping that the Eiffel Tree star is bright enough to be seen beyond the parking lot.  And, the lighting program for the tree is less "busy".

Yeah. It seemed a bit “nutty” last year. Like “hey kids, look what OUR tree can do. It was changing every 5 seconds. Sometimes just a gentle wash of color, or a subtle fade would be nice. 

I don`t know if this has been discussed yet, but Winterfest is debuting this year on Friday, November 22nd, which is the weekend BEFORE Thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving is late this year, since the 1st of November falls on a Friday.  Thanksgiving is always the fourth Thursday in November.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/explore/calendar-and-hours

• Like 2

Same number of operating days as previous years - just happens that Thanksgiving this year just happens to be the latest on the calendar that it ever can be.  What is interesting is that Carowinds Winterfest opens on Sunday Nov24 which is after KI debuts their Winterfest on Nov 22.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Winterfestguy said:

Same number of operating days as previous years - just happens that Thanksgiving this year just happens to be the latest on the calendar that it ever can be.  What is interesting is that Carowinds Winterfest opens on Sunday Nov24 which is after KI debuts their Winterfest on Nov 22.

I think its one more operating day than last year due to New Years falling one day later.

19 hours ago, JonahWilliamson said:

They drain it during the week. Water will be back in there on Friday One last time!

Nah, it’s done for the season. We are lucky to have had the fountain until the last weekend this year, as I think they started the rink earlier in previous years.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sixohdieselrage said:

Itll be different with the smaller trees on I-Street. 

I'm excited for the New Years Eve party. Last year was a blast!

I’ll wait to see what else they do before making a full decision, but the lights on the small maple trees are going to be underwhelming compared to the previous trees and super underwhelming compared to Kings Dominion’s and Wonderland’s canopies of trees.    And tree lighting is more immersive than stringing lights from buildings to poles  

Are they doing something new on the 2nd half of the train ride?  The 12 days of Christmas ends at the water park station this year   

• Like 4

And without the pedestals which held giant, tall lighted wire frames of fountain lights in the middle of the ice rink, it may also also make Istreet super underwhelming compared to the past seasons.  It will be interesting to see what is in the middle of the rink this season, if anything.

• Like 3

(I swear I'm trying to avoid a one word post) 

42 minutes ago, Winterfestguy said:

And without the pedestals which held giant, tall lighted wire frames of fountain lights in the middle of the ice rink, it may also also make Istreet super underwhelming compared to the past seasons.  It will be interesting to see what is in the middle of the rink this season, if anything.

Indeed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, super7 said:

I’ll wait to see what else they do before making a full decision, but the lights on the small maple trees are going to be underwhelming compared to the previous trees and super underwhelming compared to Kings Dominion’s and Wonderland’s canopies of trees.    And tree lighting is more immersive than stringing lights from buildings to poles  

Are they doing something new on the 2nd half of the train ride?  The 12 days of Christmas ends at the water park station this year   

Didn't it always go around that station, turn around and go back to Rivertown? It makes a full loop and runs 2 trains. If it really ends at the waterpark that could explain the Kids Halloween stuff moving back to Planet Snoopy and there could be Winterfest stuff in the waterpark. I kinda doubt it but it would be nice.

• Like 1