Winterfest 2019 Discussion.

SnakePlissken

4 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

Didn't it always go around that station, turn around and go back to Rivertown? It makes a full loop and runs 2 trains. If it really ends at the waterpark that could explain the Kids Halloween stuff moving back to Planet Snoopy and there could be Winterfest stuff in the waterpark. I kinda doubt it but it would be nice.

The 12 days of Christmas lights ran through the entire ride previous years.    The 12 drummers used to be right before the Rivertown station.  This year the 12 drummers are at the water park station.     Maybe  lights on the second half of the ride?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Winterfestguy said:

And without the pedestals which held giant, tall lighted wire frames of fountain lights in the middle of the ice rink, it may also also make Istreet super underwhelming compared to the past seasons.  It will be interesting to see what is in the middle of the rink this season, if anything.

I’m guessing the ice rink will be solid ice like Kings Dominion. 

• Like 1

i got 2 questions first this will be my first time going so here are my questions 1 can i use my 2019 refill cup and seccond does anyone know if i can use my 2019 meal plan. 
Yes meal and all season drinks work for Winterfest.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 10/27/2019 at 2:37 PM, Winterfestguy said:

And without the pedestals which held giant, tall lighted wire frames of fountain lights in the middle of the ice rink, it may also also make Istreet super underwhelming compared to the past seasons.  It will be interesting to see what is in the middle of the rink this season, if anything.

Maybe. When I heard about the trees being torn down my main concern was Winterfest. It’ll be interesting to see what happens. They have a boatload of technology in which they can employ to make something amazing happen... if they can get it to work.

Interesting when you zoom in on that one fountain shot you realize they used the same plumbing that was there before for the side jets. Probably came off the center “pedestal” hook ups fir the squiggle. It looks like there’s and antennae on the “valve box” and a DMX cable coming out of the other one. Thinking the fountains are all individually controlled at the nozzle, not in a main pump room and it looks like maybe wirelessly? Just interesting seeing the set up without water. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 9:31 PM, super7 said:

The 12 days of Christmas lights ran through the entire ride previous years.    The 12 drummers used to be right before the Rivertown station.  This year the 12 drummers are at the water park station.     Maybe  lights on the second half of the ride?

May I inquire where that is stated (if you know)?

ALSO, does anyone else think that its weird how the park says the Eiffel Tower tree is 314ft tall , but the strands of lights goes to the 265ft level and the highest point of the star is at least 5ft taller than the 275ft level. So, because math, the Eiffel Tower tree is 280ft tall.

1 hour ago, Klabergian Empire said:

May I inquire where that is stated (if you know)?

ALSO, does anyone else think that its weird how the park says the Eiffel Tower tree is 314ft tall , but the strands of lights goes to the 265ft level and the highest point of the star is at least 5ft taller than the 275ft level. So, because math, the Eiffel Tower tree is 280ft tall.

They had the light forms up last weekend and the train was operating.  They end at the water park this year. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Imperial79 said:

I was looking at places to go eat,  found the Snow Day Buffet,  it doesn't say where its at though.  Has anyone here had it before, and where its located?  Thanks

Its probably Miami River Brewhouse aka Reds last year. It was listed for Winterfest 2019 as Brewhouse but looks like its been taken off. Likely just a name change. Red's was a buffet year round. Brewhouse isn't but looked like there was still plenty of room on the right side to add a seasonal buffet. If so it makes me hope some other changes or new things are announced/added to the page.

• Like 4

If Flight of Cheer is really closed for Orion construction, I'm surprised that Racer isn't replacing it as a secondary coaster for the season.  Racer looks like the perfect Christmas coaster and would work so well in that retro Christmas portion of Winterfest: it's painted white like snow and has an adaptable lighting package for red and green.  It is capable of running in lower operating temperatures than many of the coasters. 

It's also highly adaptable for crowds.  There will inevitably be that really nice weather day during Winterfest where the park is slammed and extra capacity is needed: move to 4 trains.  On the other end, the weather may leave the park pretty dead some days: move to 2 trains or even 1.

With extra attention on it running, it'd provide plenty of beautiful Christmas photos shared to social media, which is free advertising for the park.  Did I mention Racer 75 is one of the coasters that runs at Kings Dominion?

I realize Winterfest is primarily about the atmosphere and entertainment aspects, and I appreciate that.  But, the rides and coasters are a huge asset KI has that many other local Christmas events don't have.

• Like 7

Carowinds is running three coasters this year.   Kings Dominion is running 2.  KD competes directly with Busch so they are probably matching them.   

I agree Racer is a great flexible capacity coaster for an event like this    It needs work do hopefully that’s what they are doing with it on the off season  

Its surprising KI is only running one with its normally higher attendance than those parks but maybe they are trying to see what cost cutting they can get away with without affecting attendance (like closing Vortex without direct replacement)

But in all fairness KI operates the popular railroad fir this event and the other parks removed that great ride decades ago.  Steam trains are expensive to run and personally I would rather see a Christmas train than a coaster. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, super7 said:

Carowinds is running three coasters this year.   Kings Dominion is running 2.  KD competes directly with Busch so they are probably matching them.   

I agree Racer is a great flexible capacity coaster for an event like this    It needs work do hopefully that’s what they are doing with it on the off season  

Its surprising KI is only running one with its normally higher attendance than those parks but maybe they are trying to see what cost cutting they can get away with without affecting attendance (like closing Vortex without direct replacement)

But in all fairness KI operates the popular railroad fir this event and the other parks removed that great ride decades ago.  Steam trains are expensive to run and personally I would rather see a Christmas train than a coaster. 

You could always ride the Great Pumpkin coaster.:blink:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

And to that point, there are plenty of rides actually open.  Be glad that they even have Mystic Timbers open.  They have a lot more rides open for Winterfest now, then they did in its original incarnation in the 80`s.

I'm very glad that Mystic Timbers is open.  Here's the thing though: I don't have young kids, I can't do spinning flat rides, and my local zoo (Toledo) offers beautiful Christmas lights, a Christmas train, carousel, bumper cars, and ice slides + bonus animals.  I could drive 10 minutes there or about 3 hours to Kings Island.  This is one of the reasons why I feel the old incarnation of Winterfest failed.  With few rides running back then, people had local zoos and events nearby that provided much of the same experience for a lower price and lower amount of commitment / effort getting there.  

Mystic Timbers & Flight of Cheer were the big draws for me personally.  They provided high-thrill rides that couldn't be had anywhere else nearby during November & December.  Once drawn in, I fell in love with seeing the park in a different season and discovering how much more there was to do other than the coasters.  That being said, getting a coaster ride in November / December is still a huge draw for me, and I loved having Flight of Cheer as an addition or backup in case Mystic Timbers was down.  I understand why it's closed, but getting to ride Racer or another coaster in its place would have definitely provided some extra excitement for Winterfest 2019.

• Like 6

Theres nothing like riding Mystic Timbers when its 32 out and you have to wear that coat, a hoodie, hat and gloves. I love riding it in the cold and wish I could ride others too. I love walking around and seeing the lights, seeing people ice skate, seeing the snowflakes being blown. Walking around with a Starbucks hot chocolate in my hand. Watching some of the shows as I walk from area to area. Eating my favorite chocolate covered pretzels and Buckeyes from the candy shop. I have no kids and I go alone. I ride the train at least once every time. I plan on going at least twice this year even though I am almost 2 hours away. If hours were longer or if I could find something to pass the time during the day I would consider staying overnight and going both Friday and Saturday.

• Like 9

Ffej,

The original Winterfest did not fail, as you state.  In fact it was a very popular event.  The reason it was canceled after the 1992 incarnation, was Paramount had just bought the park, Back then they had several rides open (Dodgems, Antique Cars, Carousel, the train, etc). and they wanted to focus on extending the post season longer into October.  Back then, the park would only be open the first weekend or two of October, then close.  It would be until the year 2000 that the park officially introduced FearFest. 

When Winterfest was brought back in 2005, there were very few rides and experiences.  The only open rides were the Carousel, the train (which was far superior in 2005 than the current incarnation), Great Pumpkin Coaster, Character Carousel and Scooby Doo.  There was no cookie decorating like there is now.  Coney Mall was not open for Winterfest then.  Winterfest 2005 also had a parade.  I wish the current incarnation of Winterfest had a parade similar to the parade for Grand Carnivale (Carowinds is adding a parade to their Winterfest this year).

Having visited all three incarnations of Winterfest, the current set up is by far the best.  There are so many activities and shows going on.  Yes, it would be nice if there was another coaster open, but the amounted of activities is amazing.  (The sledding hill in Action Zone is a nice touch as well).

Here is a map to Winterfest in 1987 from CP Food Blog: http://cpfoodblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/1987-Kings-Island-Winterfest-Map.jpg

Here is the map to Winterfest in 2005 from Theme Park Brochures: https://www.themeparkbrochures.net/maps/paramounts-kings-island-winterfest/

• Like 5

I wish we had done of the entertainment options of ‘05 (parade, train that was basically a show, superior Toy Factory in a Better theatre (no running around, getting food, talking over the show like festhaus) combined with the iteration we have now of decor, rides, additional entertainment etc. 

I really think the “snoopy spectacular” could move into festhaus and not loose anything. Put Tinkers in the main theatre (or even another, better show) and add better cover/ heat to showplace and use that for something (maybe tinkers there if they put something new in the big theatre) 

• Like 3

^ I agree in principle.  I'd like to see Snoopy in Festhaus and Tinkers in the KI Theater.  From memory, I think they can't do the IS because the slope of the walkways and concerns for water/ice.

I think KI is in it for the long term with WinterFest, so I think long term, they may look more buildings with climate control.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, super7 said:

It's just not safe for guests to be riding and walking around in an active construction site. 

I, too, wish the park had another coaster running to replace Flight of Fear, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

It's just not safe for guests to be riding and walking around in an active construction site. 

I, too, wish the park had another coaster running to replace Flight of Fear, but it is what it is.

Has the park cited Orion's construction as the reason Flight of Fear won't be operational? Considering they maintained FOF's operation through closing day, and even had Field of Scream's queue and exit cut through the construction site, I'm inclined to believe there's other reason(s) for FOF not running. Maybe it was a challenge to run in the colder weather, or keeping it open through December negatively impacted off-season maintenance.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TombraiderTy said:

Has the park cited Orion's construction as the reason Flight of Fear won't be operational? Considering they maintained FOF's operation through closing day, and even had Field of Scream's queue and exit cut through the construction site, I'm inclined to believe there's other reason(s) for FOF not running. Maybe it was a challenge to run in the colder weather, or keeping it open through December negatively impacted off-season maintenance.

It is related Orion construction. They’re tying Firehawk’s queue to Flight of Fear and talking out some of the lockers to put in the ride photo booth. They have to do it at some point, and it seems like that time is Winterfest.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

It is related Orion construction. They’re tying Firehawk’s queue to Flight of Fear and talking out some of the lockers to put in the ride photo booth. They have to do it at some point, and it seems like that time is Winterfest.

Maybe it's a factor, but I'm still hesitant to believe it's solely Orion construction. Both of those are small items in the overall construction schedule, and realistically could even be done with FOF still open.

Edit - Actually, if the park treats X-Base the same way they did Rivertown or Action Zone when Diamondback and Banshee debuted, respectively, then I could see that whole area getting overhauled with a new midway, infrastructure, etc. I could see that justifying closing Flight of Fear for the event.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TombraiderTy said:

Maybe it's a factor, but I'm still hesitant to believe it's solely Orion construction. Both of those are small items in the overall construction schedule, and realistically could even be done with FOF still open.

Edit - Actually, if the park treats X-Base the same way they did Rivertown or Action Zone when Diamondback and Banshee debuted, respectively, then I could see that whole area getting overhauled with a new midway, infrastructure, etc. I could see that justifying closing Flight of Fear for the event.

Right. They are putting a lot of work into that area, theming and otherwise for next year. 

• Like 2