Winterfest 2019 Discussion.

SnakePlissken

37 minutes ago, coastergirl24 said:

Question are Fast Passes available during Winterfest? We are planning a trip for the first time to Winterfest.

As far as I recall from last year, no. The normal Fast Lane line for Mystic Timbers was turned into a single rider line, and the same was done with Flight of Fear (which won't be open this year due to its que getting modified and Orion construction).

• Like 3

Drove past the park last night. Tower was testing. You’ll be pleased to know that the star is now pixel mapped (color changing) along with the tower. Dominion had this last year, I believe. Additionally you could clearly see that one of the buildings on the train route was loaded with Christmas lights. Looks like it might be twelve days of chromes until Soak City Station (as we figured out before) and then some cool stuff afterwards.  Exciting!!

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Drove past the park last night. Tower was testing. You’ll be pleased to know that the star is now pixel mapped (color changing) along with the tower. Dominion had this last year, I believe. Additionally you could clearly see that one of the buildings on the train route was loaded with Christmas lights. Looks like it might be twelve days of chromes until Soak City Station (as we figured out before) and then some cool stuff afterwards.  Exciting!!

Really? Im gonna have to drive by the park soon! (or wait until the event starts like everyone else lol:lol:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I love that they are definitely not just resting on their laurels with a successful event.  They keep adding and stepping it up each year.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Really? Im gonna have to drive by the park soon! (or wait until the event starts like everyone else lol:lol:)

Waiting would be the normal thing to do. 

But we aren’t normal. :D

1 hour ago, brent said:

I love that they are definitely not just resting on their laurels with a successful event.  They keep adding and stepping it up each year.

Agreed wholeheartedly. My big concern after the first year was that with all of its success they wouldn’t feel the need to spruce it up every year it would become an event that people would have thought they’d already seen and didn’t need to go again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’m sure there is a “complete package” they are aiming for once they figure out what works best where and we won’t see major adds every year once the parade is added next year (hint hint) but these first few have been pretty dramatic with shifting things around. 

• Like 2

It's interesting that, based off the Weatherbug cameras, the orange and black flags on the International Street buildings were replaced by the original country flags. Not complaining, just an interesting thing to point out because the original Winterfest switched the flags out for red and green-striped ones.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, brent said:

I’m sure there is a “complete package” they are aiming for once they figure out what works best where and we won’t see major adds every year once the parade is added next year (hint hint) but these first few have been pretty dramatic with shifting things around. 

There’s also a possibility that the parade would tour, so it would be the “big improvement” at various parks each year. It’s possible that they’ll have a big marketable thing each year once that plan gets into motion. 

I’m affiliated with design and build groups that do Christmas light displays (not WF) and what they say is that Christmas displays like what we have typically have a 3 year life. Then about 30% needs to be replaced. I’m willing to say that some would be replaced with new versions of the same thing but for other things they’d look for new opportunities. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

There’s also a possibility that the parade would tour, so it would be the “big improvement” at various parks each year. It’s possible that they’ll have a big marketable thing each year once that plan gets into motion. 

I’m affiliated with design and build groups that do Christmas light displays (not WF) and what they say is that Christmas displays like what we have typically have a 3 year life. Then about 30% needs to be replaced. I’m willing to say that some would be replaced with new versions of the same thing but for other things they’d look for new opportunities. 

True, but I wouldn’t want to be in the marketing department of the park loosing the parade this year so it could go someplace else trying to come up with good spin on that. Once you give a gift it’s hard to take it away. I think they are probably testing in a market with a better chance for more “runs” based on weather before rolling it out to all. WF locations. 

17 minutes ago, brent said:

True, but I wouldn’t want to be in the marketing department of the park loosing the parade this year so it could go someplace else trying to come up with good spin on that. Once you give a gift it’s hard to take it away. I think they are probably testing in a market with a better chance for more “runs” based on weather before rolling it out to all. WF locations. 

You are probably right. They also probably didn’t want to drop the money all at once. My understanding is that each fleet of Carnivale was in the $800,000 range. 

I would say in this case crowds just add to the atmosphere. It makes the event better. If you are worried about lines rush to Mystic Timbers first thing. Then get dinner if you have a meal plan. Then it would be time for the tree lighting ceremony. The train opens at 6pm and it runs 2 trains. So even if that line seems long it usually isn't. 

• Like 1

In regards to the Igloo Rentals:  

Note that the prices are $129-149 versus $299 last year.  I'm not surprised to see the price cut after seeing low utilization last year.  I think this will make them more appealing to some. 

That being said, if I'm understanding this correctly, the description of what's included with the rental seems deceptive, and I'd recommend the park change the wording.  It states that: "Each reservation accommodates groups of 4 (up to 4 additional guests can be purchased) and includes VIP Seating at Select Shows, Refillable Souvenir Hot Chocolate Mugs, and Priority Access to Ice Skating, Carriage Ride and Cookie Decorating experiences.*"

Upon first read, I thought, "Wow, that's actually a good deal now when you add the cost of hot chocolate mugs and priority access ice skating, carriage ride, and cookie decorating experiences for 4."  Then, I noticed the asterisk: "Priority Access provided upon purchase of additional experiences."  I could see this misleading some guests, especially when these additional experiences were included in last year's igloo rental.

If they're really only including priority access upon purchase of the additional experiences, drop the asterisk, and word it like this:

"Each reservation accommodates groups of 4 (up to 4 additional guests can be purchased) and includes VIP Seating at Select Shows, Refillable Souvenir Hot Chocolate Mugs, and Priority Access upon the additional purchase of any Ice Skating, Carriage Ride, or Cookie Decorating experience."

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Ffej said:

In regards to the Igloo Rentals:  

Note that the prices are $129-149 versus $299 last year.  I'm not surprised to see the price cut after seeing low utilization last year.  I think this will make them more appealing to some. 

That being said, if I'm understanding this correctly, the description of what's included with the rental seems deceptive, and I'd recommend the park change the wording.  It states that: "Each reservation accommodates groups of 4 (up to 4 additional guests can be purchased) and includes VIP Seating at Select Shows, Refillable Souvenir Hot Chocolate Mugs, and Priority Access to Ice Skating, Carriage Ride and Cookie Decorating experiences.*"

Upon first read, I thought, "Wow, that's actually a good deal now when you add the cost of hot chocolate mugs and priority access ice skating, carriage ride, and cookie decorating experiences for 4."  Then, I noticed the asterisk: "Priority Access provided upon purchase of additional experiences."  I could see this misleading some guests, especially when these additional experiences were included in last year's igloo rental.

If they're really only including priority access upon purchase of the additional experiences, drop the asterisk, and word it like this:

"Each reservation accommodates groups of 4 (up to 4 additional guests can be purchased) and includes VIP Seating at Select Shows, Refillable Souvenir Hot Chocolate Mugs, and Priority Access upon the additional purchase of any Ice Skating, Carriage Ride, or Cookie Decorating experience."

I don't think that the price drop is necessarily because they didn't sell.  I know for a fact that they sold out several nights - often time in advance.  Likely it was along the lines of guest feedback - Why pay $300 for an igloo for 5 hours if you will be skating for an hour?  Or seeing a show for 1/2 hour at a time?  The logic kind of defied me last year, so I feel like this makes more sense.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ffej said:

If the igloos were regularly selling out last year, the park would not decrease the price by more than 50% this year, regardless of guest feedback.  Source: supply and demand. ;)

Not sure if I’d say it happened “regularly” but it did happen. I don’t disagree that it is counterintuitive to think that something that sold would be dropped in price, but maybe their research dictates that the demographic would spend more time/money out in the park if they don’t feel obligated to spend the entire evening in the $300 igloo. 

I’ve always said they do all things for a reason, and rarely is it just to be nice. Somehow they found out that they can make more money at a lower price. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Klabergian Empire said:

So, I was looking at Kings Dominions WinterFest to see what ride selection they have, and not gonna lie its funny how their pirate ship ride is running but ours isn't. I wonder why....

Because whoever is in charge of choosing which rides KD has for WF is a Grinch? ;)

• Haha 1

Yeah, I believe you that the igloos sold out at times, Ryan. Personally, the three times I went to Winterfest last year, I saw either none or 1 occupied throughout the night, so maybe it was hit or miss some nights. In the end, we both agree that the park is adjusting the pricing to hopefully make more money, as they should be doing. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 11:51 AM, Imperial79 said:

Here's some pics from WeatherBug Kings Island cam,  showing the star changing,  during the night.

And another pic showing the park getting ready for Winterfest,  in the snow! 

Screenshot (88).png

Screenshot (90) - Copy.png

That's gonna be a rare picture soon, Orion, Diamondback, and Vortex all together. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I'm a bit disappointed with no Flight of Cheer this year, but it's nice that Mystic Timbers will be running. Knowing that's the only coaster open, how are the lines for it? Are we looking at an hour wait if you aren't the first one there? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ki Man said:

I'm a bit disappointed with no Flight of Cheer this year, but it's nice that Mystic Timbers will be running. Knowing that's the only coaster open, how are the lines for it? Are we looking at an hour wait if you aren't the first one there? 

The Great Pumpkin Coaster is open :lol:.

• Haha 1