Winterfest 2019 Discussion.

SnakePlissken

On 12/13/2019 at 9:51 PM, SnakePlissken said:

Cold and light snow won't close the park. Mystic needs temperatures to be above freezing to start it up then if it drops below freezing it can continue to run. 

In 2017 it snowed at least two nights during the event and it was absolutely amazing.   They ran all the rides except Mystic Timbers.   The train ride through the snow was perfect. 

My best attempt at a Mike Baxter Vlog entry.

You know what one of the best Christmas-time jobs is?  No, I’m not talking about the corner Walmart Santa- I mean, who would want hundreds of snot-nosed kids sitting on your lap telling you all of the multi-hundred dollar things they want that their parents will never buy?  I’m talking about the theme park Christmas show cast.  

Years from now kids will forget the giant, elegantly wrapped box that contained the ugly sweatshirt mom liked but they’ll never wear- but things kids will remember long into adulthood right until dementia sets in are the sights and sounds they experience in their childhood.  

There are probably 50+ individuals on the payroll of Kings Island, or some 3rd party company that participate in this every time they take to the stage.  Kids from 1 to 92 adore you, sing your songs in the car coming and going from the park. Yes, they’re campy shows with goofy storylines- they’re Christmas shows, they’re supposed to be.  Just watch any Hallmark Christmas movie.

However, some characters seem to have lost sight (not all) of what their “work” means this time of year and come across as they are too busy to come out and make some kids night with a photo op.  Maybe not kids from 1 to 92, but definitely 1 to 10- your physical presence is as real to them as the fat guy himself and they’ll remember you a lot longer than a Christmas sweater. So, for the cast of Tinker, Charlie Brown, What the Dickens, and all the others- before or after your show (if you’re on here)- take a moment to come out, smile for the camera and be part of someone’s memory for a lifetime.  Remember, you’re in your 20’s now… won’t be long and you’ll be in your 30’s and 40’s writing messages to those in their 20’s to remind them of these things.

Oh, and to the Santa’s workshop Elf that stayed in character to break the news to my daughter that Tinker couldn’t come out for a picture because he was making cookies… well done.  The picture of you and our daughter will be in our Christmas memories for years to come; and archived in Google Photos beyond that.

Baxter, out.

• Like 1

Tonight was absolutely perfect.  It snowed from 6:30ish past closing.   The kind of snow that sits on the trees.   

They did not open Mystic Timbers but everything else was operating at some point, although some of the outdoor shows were up choreographed or did not run all times.   They ran the rides until 9:30 and quietly closed things down but let the guests enjoy the beauty of the park until 10.  

Silver Dollar City might have more lights, but they typically don’t get real snow there either and the snow is the best atmosphere  possible for this event! 

790D14F9-0A6C-4115-AA33-DA44154D3247.jpeg

046C88FE-E071-48FC-9C4F-464F1DCA0498.jpeg

DEBEA5C7-4949-4F70-9B15-6E96B25A1186.jpeg

14536E26-50EC-4066-AC87-800238391894.jpeg

61176C12-6464-4B91-9E8E-218E4019BC4D.jpeg

BD012EBF-3D59-4FC1-AF23-9BF72A387D51.jpeg

A9E3AA8F-2E7D-41FC-A89B-2A1536527D33.jpeg

• Like 16

On 12/3/2019 at 8:29 PM, Winterfestguy said:

It’s a sad merchandising year for the Winterfest shops, especially the trim a tree area.  95% of the merchandise is left over from 2018 Winterfest (they are still trying to sell the 2018 King’s Island ornaments) with only 1 very limited 2019 ornament.  Whereas 2018 had a pretty new robust selection for trim a tree, 2019 just brought out the 2018 leftovers with very very little new things (Very sad).  This is especially obvious in the Peanuts shop by the main gate where only 2018 snoopy ornaments have been available since opening Nov 22 and none of the 2019 have ever been available there.  And if that was not enough to be discouraged, they raised the prices on the 2018 leftovers by a few bucks!  (In the Snoopy shop found a snoopy ornament labeled as $6.99 where all the identical ones had been re-ticketed for 2019 to $8.99!  The people I was with were really amazed.  If the park is really serious about increasing customer spending in the shops, they will have to stock with fresh new merchandise, not just keep boxing up the left overs at end of season and then putting them out again for next year’s Winterfest.

Dated stuff should never be resold. Either mark it WAY down last night if two, or write it off and trash it. There’s nothing “special” about limited edition stuff a year later. That’s just the “cost” of this type of product. It’s gotta sell or be gone. 

On 12/3/2019 at 8:29 PM, Winterfestguy said:

It’s a sad merchandising year for the Winterfest shops, especially the trim a tree area.  95% of the merchandise is left over from 2018 Winterfest (they are still trying to sell the 2018 King’s Island ornaments) with only 1 very limited 2019 ornament.  Whereas 2018 had a pretty new robust selection for trim a tree, 2019 just brought out the 2018 leftovers with very very little new things (Very sad).  This is especially obvious in the Peanuts shop by the main gate where only 2018 snoopy ornaments have been available since opening Nov 22 and none of the 2019 have ever been available there.  And if that was not enough to be discouraged, they raised the prices on the 2018 leftovers by a few bucks!  (In the Snoopy shop found a snoopy ornament labeled as $6.99 where all the identical ones had been re-ticketed for 2019 to $8.99!  The people I was with were really amazed.  If the park is really serious about increasing customer spending in the shops, they will have to stock with fresh new merchandise, not just keep boxing up the left overs at end of season and then putting them out again for next year’s Winterfest.

Dated stuff should never be resold. Either mark it WAY down last night if two, or write it off and trash it. There’s nothing “special” about limited edition stuff a year later. That’s just the “cost” of this type of product. It’s gotta sell or be gone. 

It definitely ran in the snow for awhile.  I had an awesome ride while in heavy snow with giant flakes.  It seemed the harder it snowed, the louder the cheers were in the station.  However, I imagine there was a point where the snow was accumulating too quickly to keep the ride running safely.  The park was just gorgeous last night in the snow, and it'll be a wonderful memory I'll never forget.

• Like 3

WinterFest at Kings Island is amazing, loved it my 2nd time around. The atmosphere is incredible. Snow Day Buffet was quite good, I enjoyed the bread quite a lot even with it not being warm. And of course going 12/17 where it was cold and still a snowpack around did enhance the atmosphere for me. Those Mystic Timbers rides, what a chilling memorable experience. 

If only I could go more often but 480 miles per trip is quite a lot for me and unfortunately I just do not see my home Park in Cedar Point ever getting WinterFest (as the GM their days himself, go to Kings Island). 

1 hour ago, Quirkster said:

WinterFest at Kings Island is amazing, loved it my 2nd time around. The atmosphere is incredible. Snow Day Buffet was quite good, I enjoyed the bread quite a lot even with it not being warm. And of course going 12/17 where it was cold and still a snowpack around did enhance the atmosphere for me. Those Mystic Timbers rides, what a chilling memorable experience. 

If only I could go more often but 480 miles per trip is quite a lot for me and unfortunately I just do not see my home Park in Cedar Point ever getting WinterFest (as the GM their days himself, go to Kings Island). 

I'm only 111 miles and about an hour 45 minute drive. 90 minutes if I push it and make really good time. So its easier to drive down and come home the same night. Takes me about an hour more to get to Cedar Point and about 3 hours to Kennywood.

8 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

I'm only 111 miles and about an hour 45 minute drive. 90 minutes if I push it and make really good time. So its easier to drive down and come home the same night. Takes me about an hour more to get to Cedar Point and about 3 hours to Kennywood.

I could reduce my mileage to KI by 40-50 if I take rural roads but I rather stay on I-71 and backtrack West to where I live, it takes the same time. CP is about 50-55 minutes for me, 76-80 miles (hinges where I park there which is usually the water park lot most of the time). 

But anyways one last thing I wanted to say about my experience, when it was daylight,  I made sure to soak the view at one point where I could see Orion, Vortex, and Diamondback all at the same time, something I will never be able to see again.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

That’s three points of contact, the First Order can triangulate your position now.  Bug Out!

I am guessing Lancaster-ish?

• Like 1

Looks like the New Year's Eve Lounge is sorta back. This time it's open to anyone with $40-50. Looks like 50 without a passholder discount, 40 with and another price for kids. It also says meal only. It does not say how long the meal lasts or what time on New Year's Eve. I would not want to spend my whole night up there. It doesn't say if you lose out or forfeit part of the experience if I left to do something else. Price is too high anyways for my taste. Still gonna go if it doesn't rain.