Jump to content

Winterfest 2019 Discussion.


Recommended Posts

On 10/29/2019 at 6:29 PM, brent said:

Interesting when you zoom in on that one fountain shot you realize they used the same plumbing that was there before for the side jets. Probably came off the center “pedestal” hook ups fir the squiggle. It looks like there’s and antennae on the “valve box” and a DMX cable coming out of the other one. Thinking the fountains are all individually controlled at the nozzle, not in a main pump room and it looks like maybe wirelessly? Just interesting seeing the set up without water. 

You are correct. The pumps are always on. The valves on the sprayers are individually addressed, just like the lights. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tonight was absolutely perfect.  It snowed from 6:30ish past closing.   The kind of snow that sits on the trees.    They did not open Mystic Timbers but everything else was operating at some poin

I went to my very first Winterfest last night and had an absolute blast. Let me first say that this year has been hands down the worst year of my life for a number of reasons. Getting into the holid

The park just released the WF map. Along with a great Blog post about WF food offerings. https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2018/november/food-guide-to-winterfest-2019-at-kings-island

Posted Images

CoastersRZ,

When I said that old incarnations of Winterfest ultimately failed, I did not mean that they were poor or unpopular events.  I just meant that the event was canceled from 1993-2004 (12 years) and from 2006-2016 (11 years). 

If Winterfest in 1992 or 2005 was an extremely profitable and significant part of the overall business, more effort would have been made to bring it back sooner, regardless of the change in ownership.

From everything I’ve seen and read, I’m in total agreement that the current version of Winterfest is the best the park has ever seen, and I’m fortunate to get to experience this era.  I think Cedar Fair has implemented a lot of changes that will make this a viable event for many years to come.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

^ I agree in principle.  I'd like to see Snoopy in Festhaus and Tinkers in the KI Theater.  From memory, I think they can't do the IS because the slope of the walkways and concerns for water/ice.

I think KI is in it for the long term with WinterFest, so I think long term, they may look more buildings with climate control.

As far as Climate control in the buildings, I was chatting up and employee inside one of the IS shops and they said that the heaters run nonstop and they come in 1 hour early to open the doors so its not hotter than a desert in there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Kodistict said:

I'm not sure if anybody has discussed this, but because of the fountain remodeling this year, will we just have a normal ice skating rink?

I think @IndyGuy4KI mentioned that he talked to someone in the park and they said that they were going to have something where the pedestals were. 
 

Also, here is a WF prep video posted by Evan Millward WCPO.

 

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to double post....

Here is a brand new blog about Winterfest.  

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2019/november/winterfest-fills-26-nights-of-holiday-cheer-in-2019

So few words but saying so much.  If you exclusively go to Kings Island for the rides then maybe you wouldn't like Winterfest, but if you enjoy literally anything else that the park has to offer then this event will blow you away.  Shows, décor, shopping, music... all of which has a lead food on the gas... and then a little more. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I also have used Funpix at Cedar Point and Dominion... with my Kings Island Gold Pass.

However, FunPix is not marketed or sold as limited to a particular park.  They don't have a regular and platinum version like the meal plan...

The other issue sounds like a software problem....hmmm...cross threading...hmmm

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I was looking through the WF pages and it looks like the secondary buffet ($5 meal plan upcharge) is back.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/play/winterfest/attractions/snow-day-buffet

This just made my day! My husband and I absolutely loved this buffet last year and can't wait to try it again 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2019 at 4:47 AM, SnakePlissken said:

Theres nothing like riding Mystic Timbers when its 32 out and you have to wear that coat, a hoodie, hat and gloves. I love riding it in the cold and wish I could ride others too. I love walking around and seeing the lights, seeing people ice skate, seeing the snowflakes being blown. Walking around with a Starbucks hot chocolate in my hand. Watching some of the shows as I walk from area to area. Eating my favorite chocolate covered pretzels and Buckeyes from the candy shop. I have no kids and I go alone. I ride the train at least once every time. I plan on going at least twice this year even though I am almost 2 hours away. If hours were longer or if I could find something to pass the time during the day I would consider staying overnight and going both Friday and Saturday.

You should really try to make one of your trips New Year's Eve. It was so amazing spending NYE at KI, just beautiful and their countdown on the tower was so cool. We attended the adults only party upstairs but this year plan on just staying in the park.

If you're a hot chocolate lover you really need to try The Beast hot chocolate at Sweet Spot, it is the bomb. I try to stay away from sweets being I'm diabetic, but this drink I cannot resist. It also comes in a glass mug with The Beast on it. I REALLY hope they have it again this year.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, harmony29 said:

You should really try to make one of your trips New Year's Eve. It was so amazing spending NYE at KI, just beautiful and their countdown on the tower was so cool. We attended the adults only party upstairs but this year plan on just staying in the park.

If you're a hot chocolate lover you really need to try The Beast hot chocolate at Sweet Spot, it is the bomb. I try to stay away from sweets being I'm diabetic, but this drink I cannot resist. It also comes in a glass mug with The Beast on it. I REALLY hope they have it again this year.

I did get The Beast Hot Chocolate on my first visit and I might do it again this year if the mug looks different. I was wanting to go for New Years Eve last year but the weatherman kept calling for a washout so I didn't go. I went the week before instead. I think my second and last visit was Dec 23.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SnakePlissken said:

I did get The Beast Hot Chocolate on my first visit and I might do it again this year if the mug looks different. I was wanting to go for New Years Eve last year but the weatherman kept calling for a washout so I didn't go. I went the week before instead. I think my second and last visit was Dec 23.

We thought it was going to be a really cold, nasty night but it ended up being beautiful, not cold at all. I just love that it's open and there's no other place I would rather be.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, harmony29 said:

We thought it was going to be a really cold, nasty night but it ended up being beautiful, not cold at all. I just love that it's open and there's no other place I would rather be.

You may recall it poured all day and let up in time for Winterfest. Felt like it was 80 degrees that night. One of my best memories of the park. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

You may recall it poured all day and let up in time for Winterfest. Felt like it was 80 degrees that night. One of my best memories of the park. 

It was warmer that evening than it was on opening day this year.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they bring back the hot apple cider this year. They had it the first year in the fudge candy shop but not last year. I don’t like chocolate or coffee but still need a nice hot drink to warm me up! And it was the best apple cider I ever had!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Melody said:

I hope they bring back the hot apple cider this year. They had it the first year in the fudge candy shop but not last year. I don’t like chocolate or coffee but still need a nice hot drink to warm me up! And it was the best apple cider I ever had!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kennywood had a hot apple cider for Fright Nights this year. It wasn't bad but needed more spices.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of food, I still need to try that Cinnamon bread they had (have?) at Winterfest. While on that topic of food and drink, I also really want to try getting a Coke and putting Vanilla Ice Cream in it to try to replicate Vanilla Coke; though I think I'll have to wait until next season.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

 I also really want to try getting a Coke and putting Vanilla Ice Cream in it to try to replicate Vanilla Coke; though I think I'll have to wait until next season.

Is that not offered in the Freestyle machines?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

Speaking of food, I still need to try that Cinnamon bread they had (have?) at Winterfest. While on that topic of food and drink, I also really want to try getting a Coke and putting Vanilla Ice Cream in it to try to replicate Vanilla Coke; though I think I'll have to wait until next season.

The bread at Dollywood is 100 times better. The bread at KI is good but the Dollywood bread has ruined it for me. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Speaking of food, I still need to try that Cinnamon bread they had (have?) at Winterfest. While on that topic of food and drink, I also really want to try getting a Coke and putting Vanilla Ice Cream in it to try to replicate Vanilla Coke; though I think I'll have to wait until next season.


I love the cinnamon bread! Also the bacon on a stick was great. I noticed this year they had it during haunt too maybe even all season at the turkey leg place!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 1:08 AM, Tr0y said:

I went to winter fest a couple seasons ago, and my biggest disappointment was the train ride, and the lack of Christmas lights during the ride. 

As much as I love the train, I 100% agree. They need more light throughout the course.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...