Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
KIghostguy

Golden Ticket Awards Conversation

Recommended Posts

I know there are some posts on this sprinkled in in other threads, but I thought it would be very convenient to have all the conversations on it in one thread. 

Here is where Kings Island placed on the awards:

  • Golden Ticket for the Renaissance Award: Kings Mills Antique Autos and other 2019 improvements and renovations
  • Second place for Best Kids Area
  • Third place for best new family attraction
  • Fifth place for best Christmas event
  • On the 50 best wooden coasters list, The Beast placed fifth and Mystic Timbers was ranked 10th
  • On the 50 best steel coasters list, Diamondback was ranked 14th and Banshee 33rd. 

They also put a very nice article on Kings Island's special award for this year in the actual issue: http://www.amusementtoday.com/issues/2019/2019gta/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I wish they still gave the voting percentages to see how far ahead Wildwood Grove was.

I would be interested as well. I have not been to Dollywood yet, but I have heard fantastic things about Wildwood Grove and the park in general. Interesting to note too that Dollywood pulled ahead of Cedar Point in the "Best Amusement Park" category.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

I would be interested as well. I have not been to Dollywood yet, but I have heard fantastic things about Wildwood Grove and the park in general. Interesting to note too that Dollywood pulled ahead of Cedar Point in the "Best Amusement Park" category.

Rightfully so in my honest opinion. Cedar Point is really only great at one thing and that’s the rides, other things like food, live entertainment & general park atmosphere fall really short imo for being a flagship park. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 7:47 PM, Ben43065 said:

Rightfully so in my honest opinion. Cedar Point is really only great at one thing and that’s the rides, other things like food, live entertainment & general park atmosphere fall really short imo for being a flagship park. 

I think newer things like Forbidden Frontier, the Gemini Midway re-do (with the lights), the new restaurants and other theming touch-ups (Magnum’s effects, Corkscrew train repaint) are making CP a more well-rounded park (IMO), but yeah, the coasters are still a really big draw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have a 7 year old and 5 year old daughter you probably won't visit Cedar Point. 

 

Now excluding how far away these two parks are. Dollywood would be the place to take kids. Cedar Point has the beach and the water but to enjoy more it will cost more. Dollywood one price you in the park and the kids are making memories. 

 

@flightoffear1996 I agree with you completely. Going to Cedar Point is like going to New York City. Hectic go, go, go atmosphere taking it all in, trying to hit as many of those superstar coasters as possible. At Kings Island I can stroll through and its so wide open that some places in the park are wide open and guests arent visible. I can find quiet places in the park. At Cedar Point always people. Always lines. 
 

I LOVE Cedar Point with my whole heart.

But I am sooooo grateful that Kings Island is my homepark, no jealousy about it, I just like the "Homey" feel at Kings Island

This has been my Ted Talk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JonahWilliamson said:

If you have a 7 year old and 5 year old daughter you probably won't visit Cedar Point. 

 

Now excluding how far away these two parks are. Dollywood would be the place to take kids. Cedar Point has the beach and the water but to enjoy more it will cost more. Dollywood one price you in the park and the kids are making memories. 

 

@flightoffear1996 I agree with you completely. Going to Cedar Point is like going to New York City. Hectic go, go, go atmosphere taking it all in, trying to hit as many of those superstar coasters as possible. At Kings Island I can stroll through and its so wide open that some places in the park are wide open and guests arent visible. I can find quiet places in the park. At Cedar Point always people. Always lines. 
 

I LOVE Cedar Point with my whole heart.

But I am sooooo grateful that Kings Island is my homepark, no jealousy about it, I just like the "Homey" feel at Kings Island

This has been my Ted Talk.

Hmmm - but CP has 17 family rides and 14 kiddie rides (total of 31 rides) that children under 48" (that means not the 48" rides for those keeping score) can ride; while KI has 7 family rides and 20 kiddie rides (total of 27 rides) for that same height requirement...and CP Snoopy areas have more shade!  

Plus there is never a line for the Snoopy areas at Cedar Point - 3 hour waits for Steel Vengeance Saturday but no wait for any kid rides in Snoopy area.  Like the employees stand around waiting for a kid to come to their ride.  When do you see that at Kings Island - when the park is closed lol!

You can spend a whole day in KI Planet Snoopy because those lines are generally longer than Planet Snoopy lines in other CF parks :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Hmmm - but CP has 17 family rides and 14 kiddie rides (total of 31 rides) that children under 48" (that means not the 48" rides for those keeping score) can ride; while KI has 7 family rides and 20 kiddie rides (total of 27 rides) for that same height requirement...and CP Snoopy areas have more shade!  

Plus there is never a line for the Snoopy areas at Cedar Point - 3 hour waits for Steel Vengeance Saturday but no wait for any kid rides in Snoopy area.  Like the employees stand around waiting for a kid to come to their ride.  When do you see that at Kings Island - when the park is closed lol!

You can spend a whole day in KI Planet Snoopy because those lines are generally longer than Planet Snoopy lines in other CF parks :P

So the flaw in your thinking is assuming that the criteria for winning "best kids area" is to, in fact, have the best kids area.  It has nothing to do with that and everything to do with garnering a relationship with Amusement Today and their subscription base.  The voting has about as much integrity as a North Korean election.  

Also, notice how Amusement Today errors on the side of caution with it.  Kings Island lost its long standing Golden Ticket Award so they made up an award for them.  I believe the same thing happened when Cedar Point lost to Europa Park for best amusement park.  

Next year will be an interesting year for best new coaster.  KI could really use that award to perpetuate marketing through the core of 2021.  But there are a lot of excellent new coasters coming.  Orion has a shot at the Golden Ticket Award but they have to be careful about who they embrace vs who they turn their noses up to.  It's not like Starbucks is closed or anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK,

I've spend a lot of time in Planet Snoopy over the years, and spend a day at Dollywood, including an hour or so in Wildwood grove.

In terms of cleanliness, newness, whatever, Wildwood Grove wins hands down, honestly it would be impossible for KI to compete with the freshness that is Wildwood Grove in that respect.

In terms of dining, Wildwood Grove wins by a landslide.  The Mexican restaurant that they have near the entrance to wildwood grove was excellent, KI's food offerings are mostly 2nd rate in that area.

In terms of rides, I think KI wins in a landslide.  Dragonflier is similar (though admittedly better) to Flying Ace Arial Chase.  The flying tubs are similar, if not identical.  Blackbear trail was kind of cool, and my kids loved it, KI doesn't have anything like that, Wildwood Grove doesn't have anything like The Beastie.  There are a couple of other rides unique to Wildwood Grove (compared to Planet Snoopy) but many more unique experiences at Planet Snoopy (compared to Wildwood Grove).

I feel like, aside from the dining and freshness of Wildwood Grove (which was excellent, so I don't mean to take anything away from the job they did there) it would be tough for a family to spend more than a couple of hours in that part of the park, while at Kings Island, I think a familar could spend half their day in Planet Snoopy and keep the kids entertained (as well as some of the in between kids).

Now as a whole park experience, I'd say Dollywood is a better place for the 46" and under crowd, firechaser express just blows away anything KI has, throw in their other kids area (which felt run down compared to Planet Snoopy) and there is more there for a small kid, but if were just talking about 1 specific part of the park, I'd rather take my 3 year old to Planet Snoopy for 4 hours vs Wildwood Grove, all else being equal.

 

But as Bodha said, I get how it works, that's just my $0.02 on the 2 specific areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Hmmm - but CP has 17 family rides and 14 kiddie rides (total of 31 rides) that children under 48" (that means not the 48" rides for those keeping score) can ride; while KI has 7 family rides and 20 kiddie rides (total of 27 rides) for that same height requirement...and CP Snoopy areas have more shade!  

Plus there is never a line for the Snoopy areas at Cedar Point - 3 hour waits for Steel Vengeance Saturday but no wait for any kid rides in Snoopy area.  Like the employees stand around waiting for a kid to come to their ride.  When do you see that at Kings Island - when the park is closed lol!

You can spend a whole day in KI Planet Snoopy because those lines are generally longer than Planet Snoopy lines in other CF parks :P

I've never seen lines in Planet Snoopy other than Flying ace and boo blasters. So I'm not totally sure what park you are talking about. And it's all about the feel with kids. Everyone knows Cedar Points about the coasters. And the kids areas are so separated and very little. I will say the new Adventure Island thing is an improvement big time. But Kings Island has a significant area for it that's not swamped by giant coasters and it's tame and you don't have tons of tons of people walking past you trying to get to the next big coaster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

The voting has about as much integrity as a North Korean election.

20 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

It's not like Starbucks is closed or anything. 

This might very well be the best post I've read on here in a very long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...