Coney Island Cincinnati to remove all rides

BoddaH1994

Link to an article: https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/coney-island-removing-all-rides-at-the-end-of-the-season?fbclid=IwAR3uQTHLt9nYGCcLZMLc6-lL6XP6KRc_omfZFMleq53nglD0wt4J6ZrmjkI

I was always hoping the park would get a small wooden roller coaster, like Kentucky Flyer. It would've been reminiscent of the park's golden age. Oh well.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I wonder if KI would purchase some of the flats. 

I agree with @Gordon Bombay - it'd be neat, but I'd be surprised. Most are low-capacity, and those with moderate through-puts Kings Island already has versions of (swinging ship, Scrambler, etc.). The exception is the Tilt-A-Whirl, which would fit beautifully in Coney Mall... if only.

I hope they find homes elsewhere though, especially the classics like the Rock-O-Plane. You don't see too many of those around anymore.

• Like 4

This is very reminiscent of Geauga Lake. I know that the waterpark at GL lasted a number of seasons, but does anyone think that Coney Island will last as long without their dry park?

I think these two situations are not alike at all. Coney is still easily accessible by major highways and is part of a major city area.

Many go to Coney for the pool while the rides were a great bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

The same thing just happened with Lakemont park in PA... so this does not surprise me.

Lakemont closed for a few seasons but that was a completely different situation and they still have quite a few classic rides. http://lakemontparkfun.com/attractions/

Back on topic, I think this is a terrible decision and I'm hoping they'll reconsider (though I would actually be surprised if they did). It just doesn't make any sense to me. Every time I've visited the park, the rides have been popular, especially among kids. My three year old niece had a lot of fun on the kids rides each of the three times we visited this year, and I enjoyed riding classics like Flying Bobs, Tempest and the Tilt-a-Whirl. It just won't be the same without the rides and I won't be as inclined to visit now (Sunlite Pool is fun, but it gets crowded and I like having things to do besides the pool as well). I don't think the pool and slides will be enough to keep people coming back as often.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mark Bailey said:

Please sign this petition!!!  We need to raise our voices and show park management how much the rides at this park mean to Cincinnati's history!!!  

Stop Coney Island, Cincinnati from Removing ALL Rides from Park

http://chng.it/mhRQWsD

Stop Coney Island, Cincinnati from Removing ALL Rides from Park

Park is a business. If the dry side isn’t making money no petition will keep it open. 

• Like 7

This saddens me as well. I was just there 3 weekends ago for the Tri Health picnic and went last year twice as well. Love the flying bobs / tempest / topspin but especially WIPEOUT! I’ve never ridden anything like it at all the parks I’ve been too. It’s so unique reminds me of a smaller personal version of Tomb Raider or some simulator you would ride at Space Camp or something. I would love for Kings Island to buy that one. I could see some of the other ones maybe at Strickers Grove too they don’t have much room to expand there but did add 2 small rides in the last 5 years or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Words cannot adequately describe how I feel right now.  I have spent over half of my life working at Coney in the rides department.  It was my first job.  I enjoyed going into work everyday there.  Yes, I did get paid for going in, but I have a full time architecture job, and this was my side hustle.  I truly enjoyed working there, and helping to create memories for people riding the rides.  I made quite a few friends over the years working there, many of them have reached out to me today.  My hope is that those in charge know what they are doing and that the park will continue to thrive in the future.  

Today was also made worse by the fact that my aunt also passed away in Arizona today.  Not a great day, to say the least.

• Like 13

So I judge popularity by how much Sweetmaize Kettle Korn we sell at the old Ticket Booth.

This year was a record breaking year, which included Balloon Glow, Kroger's, Tri-Health

and Christ Hospital this past summer to name just a few. I believe all the corporate picnics will be lost.

I have always been a proponent to expand the rides at Coney. There's more than one million people who live

in the 275 beltway south of I-74. More than enough to support an updated amusement park. Coney just took two

steps backward to 1972. I can see it now being sold to the Gaming Industry. Sad day for Historical Coney Island.

pilotank

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

Words cannot adequately describe how I feel right now.  I have spent over half of my life working at Coney in the rides department.  It was my first job.  I enjoyed going into work everyday there.  Yes, I did get paid for going in, but I have a full time architecture job, and this was my side hustle.  I truly enjoyed working there, and helping to create memories for people riding the rides.  I made quite a few friends over the years working there, many of them have reached out to me today.  My hope is that those in charge know what they are doing and that the park will continue to thrive in the future.  

Today was also made worse by the fact that my aunt also passed away in Arizona today.  Not a great day, to say the least.

Dear CoasterRZ,

My heart goes out to you. I lost my mom right before the season opened up. My sister still

carries her pass. My mom and dad met at a big band concert at Moonlight Gardens. She was a

season pass member since they started selling season passes. My thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

pilotank

• Like 3

This is sad to hear,  I went there in 2016,  it is a nice little park.  

I saw a few people are asking KI to save some of the rides,  I hope they do but I don't count on it.  Some people are asking CF/KI to buy the large Ferris Wheel,  but isn't the large Ferris Wheel not owned by CI?  It is just there for a few weeks I believe.  I know they have a smaller one,  Eli Bridge one,  maybe KI can buy it.  The large Ferris Wheel is really nice, and would look beautiful added to the KI skyline. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TombraiderTy said:

I agree with @Gordon Bombay - it'd be neat, but I'd be surprised. Most are low-capacity, and those with moderate through-puts Kings Island already has versions of (swinging ship, Scrambler, etc.). The exception is the Tilt-A-Whirl, which would fit beautifully in Coney Mall... if only.

I hope they find homes elsewhere though, especially the classics like the Rock-O-Plane. You don't see too many of those around anymore.

Especially strickers grove...

3 minutes ago, Imperial79 said:

I saw a few people are asking KI to save some of the rides,  I hope they do but I don't count on it.  Some people are asking CF/KI to buy the large Ferris Wheel,  but isn't the large Ferris Wheel not owned by CI?  It is just there for a few weeks I believe.  I know they have a smaller one,  Eli Bridge one,  maybe KI can buy it.  The large Ferris Wheel is really nice, and would look beautiful added to the KI skyline. 

The ferris wheel would rock in Planet Snoopy

Please Ki save some..

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Imperial79 said:

The giant wheel shown in WCPO's article was only there for a little over a month last year and was a traveling one.

• Like 2

Could it be a coincidence or Pittsburgh Conspiracy ?

On this date the Island Queen was destroyed. How ironic:

Today in History, September 9: Coney Island's Island Queen steamboat destroyed. On Sept. 9, 1947, Coney Island's steamboat Island Queen was destroyed in an explosion while docked at Pittsburgh's Monongahela River Wharf.

Reference: Today in History https://www.cincinnati.com/

pilotank

• Like 2

I hate to lose the park, but I cannot claim I will miss it.  I have heard a rumor that they make more money on parking then actually operating the park, much of that being people going to Riverbend.

I suspect the corporate outings will move on to other local parks, but that could be good news for Strickers Grove.  

• Like 5