Coney Island Cincinnati to remove all rides

BoddaH1994

On 9/9/2019 at 3:37 PM, TombraiderTy said:

I agree with @Gordon Bombay - it'd be neat, but I'd be surprised. Most are low-capacity, and those with moderate through-puts Kings Island already has versions of (swinging ship, Scrambler, etc.). The exception is the Tilt-A-Whirl, which would fit beautifully in Coney Mall... if only.

I hope they find homes elsewhere though, especially the classics like the Rock-O-Plane. You don't see too many of those around anymore.

The Flying Bobs, Musik Express and Trabant (still there?), and Super Round Up come to mind as high enough capacity. Also 2 (3?) of them were ride models previously at KI.

• Like 5

I think this is just poor decision making across the board.

Someone doesn’t know how to really analyze data. You fudge the data to say what you want or actually take it at face value for the information it provides.

They also stated that the deep end of the pool is the least used. Does that have anything to do with them removing the diving boards and putting in a separate pool for just those?

They can’t build a waterpark in an instant. If they think they can they are already fooling themselves. I’m guessing they’ll be belly-up in 1-2 years, because this isn’t going to help the bottom line.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, KI Guy said:

The Flying Bobs, Musik Express and Trabant (still there?), and Super Round Up come to mind as high enough capacity. Also 2 (3?)some of them were ride models previously at KI.

For some reason I missed the Flying Bobs - I could see that type of ride fitting nicely at Kings Island. It doesn't appear the park currently has a Musik Express though (did they previously?), and the Trabant and Super Round Up were unfortunately removed a few years ago.

And just 2 were previous models at Kings Island - Halley's Comet was a Round Up and Wheel of Fortune was a Trabant.

• Like 2

This is very sad news. I thought Coney had it's niche in the market,  that being a smaller park perfect for families. I can't say whether this was the case or if the park did not position itself well enough to make money serving that demographic. 

There's one less amusement park in the Cincinnati area. In just 20 years we've went from three amusement parks and a picnic park,  to one large amusement park and a picnic park. A significant piece of Cincinnati history will be no more.

As far as the future of Coney, I don't buy the pitch of "a world class swim and play facility." I don't want to see the Sunlite Pool,  close but I don't know if it makes it. Despite what they say,  I don't know if enough people will drive to Coney for a pool and a few extras. There are local aquatic centers and YMCA's for that. I think the rides side was what made their pool a choice for many over these types of places. 

I have some good memories of Coney Island especially when I went there for a Boy Scout event in the early 2000s. I really hate to see it go. I hadn't planned on it, but I'll definitely be making a visit to say goodbye.

• Like 4

This is definitely sad news to say the least. I grew up on the east side of town and still live there, so Coney Island is relatively close and a lot of people that I know go down there not only for Sunlite Pool but also for the dry park as well. Feedback I've seen on social media with those I know personally, so far, is nothing but disappointment.

I wish the park nothing but the absolute best in their endeavors and hope that they have calculated this risk and analyzed their decision as much as possible. 

I am wondering, however, if the tendency and susceptibility for Coney Island to flood played part in this decision. I cannot imagine that flood insurance for that piece of property is reasonable by any means.

If Kings Island/Cedar Fair doesn't step in to purchase the rides, I hope at least Stricker's Grove makes an attempt to do so.

• Like 3

I am one of those seasonal jobs that is affected by this decision (though my direct report boss still says he wants me back next year, though not sure in what capacity since I was a rides manager?).  I still have a very bad feeling.  Almost a kicked in the gut feeling.  Coney was my first job and I loved going into work there.  It was more than just a job, it was my passion.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, and had hoped to take my two young kids there for years to come.  It definitely had its niche market.  Yes, weekdays were not super busy, but the crowds still would show up for Balloon glow, and group picnics.  

The person that started the petition is Mark Bailey, who is a former rides operator and fellow rides manager at Coney.  He also has a background in architecture like me.

I was concerned at the beginning of the season when the weekday rides hours were reduced and Round Up was removed.  I hope that they have a vision and that their plan is successful.  I respectfully disagree with the direction they are going in.  I think lack of investment on the rides side hurt badly.  The last new attractions that were added were Top Spin and Fender Bender in 2015.

• Like 12

11 hours ago, TombraiderTy said:

For some reason I missed the Flying Bobs - I could see that type of ride fitting nicely at Kings Island. It doesn't appear the park currently has a Musik Express though (did they previously?), and the Trabant and Super Round Up were unfortunately removed a few years ago.

And just 2 were previous models at Kings Island - Halley's Comet was a Round Up and Wheel of Fortune was a Trabant.

I guess I misplaced the Musik Express from another park. I guess Flying Bobs and maybe Tilt-a-Whirl would be the only real options for KI. Maybe they would want the Round Up if it's in storage, but I doubt it.

Flying Bobs is a fun flat though. I'm sure they could find somewhere to put it in the Coney Mall.

• Like 3

That is a good point about the flooding at Coney. A really nice, big and exciting place was built in Mason due a lot to that very issue. ;)

It's too bad some type of flood wall system around the area of the park couldn't be created...not sure if there are any flood walls close to the park.. Maybe some of you all know more about this?

I truly hoped one day we'd see another smaller, but amazing coaster installed there. I remember seeing something on here in the past about that and a coaster going along Lake Como. That would have been amazing and maybe that would have generated more revenue on the rides side...maybe, but we'll never know. As a guy who had the pleasure of visiting Lesourdesville Lake/Americana a bunch and sincerely loving every second of those visits ( miss the Screechin Eagle so much!), this is as sad to lose a part of Cincinnati amusement park history again. Reminds me of how I felt when KI lost the Eagles...luckily, I had the pleasure of finally embracing my love for snapping them this summer at Carowinds...that was a good day!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Hopefully their plans change.  I'm sure a lot of it depends on the price and condition of the rides but the Tilt-a-whirl and Flying Bobs would both fill nice holes in KI's flats lineup.

• Like 3

To be honest, if KI was wanting to add a classic flat package like Carowinds added a few years ago, I would opt for a Music Express over Flying Bobs.  I still think that Kings Island could use a Music Express and a classic Tilt type ride.  There are quite a few places that they could fit in nicely at the park.

• Like 4

According to that last article, ridership has declined over the last several years. Like others, I am sad and disappointed that they came to this decision. I love the nostalgic feeling of the rides side of the park when the sun starts to go down and the lights start to come on. I hope they know what they are doing. I think if more information was provided as to what their plans are for the future of the park, we might understand their reasoning a little bit better. Still disappointing though.

One thing I am concerned about, the future of Moonlite Gardens. Was anything mentioned about what will become of that?  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, raptor said:

Guess I won't be going there anymore, I could care less about the pool but obviously I am in a small minority. I think if they would have just been able to have a halfway decent coaster like Stricker's Grove, the ride side would have done a lot better.

I think to Compliment the Python, a 2 nd coaster could have had anchor it. 

I also wish sll the rides could fit in a dome for October through say April...Something the Midwest could rock at. 

Also I had hoped Coney could have looked at Friday through Sunday operation of rides. 

Anyone in the Industry? I guess its much cheaper to maintain water attractions? Also the shrinking footprint and no games less food will help the Costs. 

3rd Coming of Coney, A storied park that never gives up, and is the Birthplace the Mom of Kings Island 

Could anybody take a last Video of the Ride and games .?

So many unanswered questions?

• Like 1

Image result for python to kings island

Dear KI,

Despite you not planning to get Coney Rides.

Just rethink to get them in the future because you haven't have Galaxi or Round Up since late 70s which people will remember it from old days at KI . 

In addition, you can add wipe out,top spin, twirl wheel , and rock o plane to keep them in Cincinnati to keep Coney Legacy alive 

Adding new attractions other than Coney Rides is really expensive and Ceder Fair wants fancy rides not wash up park rides just like Coney

Sincerely 

Joey P

a Coney and Kings Island fan

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Thanks for sharing. I'd say that's the only logical answer to the question at this point. 

They can't say they plan to buy them and distract from Orion/spoil a future announcement.  Also why would the park say they plan to buy anything before actually doing so? 

Consider also they may or may not have known in advance about Coney closing it's amusement side,  and decisions like this aren't made over night. I would be somewhat surprised if KI does purchase any of Coney's rides, but I wouldn't rule it out either at this point.

• Like 3

I have found the choice of the past several ride additions at Coney a bit odd. Coney has built itself into a nice family park with the combination of rides and the pool, yet it's been a long time since they added a family ride (the past three have been two thrill rides and a kiddie ride, not counting the short-lived boats which never seemed to be that popular anyway). Something from Zamperla like a Rockin' Tug or Samba Balloon would have been perfect for Coney. Not high thrill of course, but something that the entire family could enjoy.

@CoastersRZ do you know when most of the current rides were added? I know Wipe Out, Top Spin and Fender Bender are all relatively new (past 5 years or so I want to say), and Python was added in 1999, but I don't know when the rest were added.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Oldiesmann said:

@CoastersRZ do you know when most of the current rides were added? I know Wipe Out, Top Spin and Fender Bender are all relatively new (past 5 years or so I want to say), and Python was added in 1999, but I don't know when the rest were added.

Most of that can be found here: http://coneyislandcentral.com/history/timeline/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Klabergian Empire said:

I honestly think Kings Island should acquire Python and add it to the park as a new Bavarian Beetle.

I like this idea.  Look you could paint over the snake skin to make the cars orange and yellow.  Plop the track down in Octoberfest right where the slingshot is.  Boom! return of the Flying Dutchman

• Like 1