New Hall of Fame Inductee

KIghostguy

42 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

Well, isn`t the Hall of Fame now displayed in HR, or some area that is off limits to the general public?  I know that Holiday World recently did something similar when they moved their Applause award to an area only accessible to park employees.

It is in HR in a corridor facing a window...which is in an employees only area. I never understood why they didn’t just leave it in the park.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

It is in HR in a corridor facing a window...which is in an employees only area. I never understood why they didn’t just leave it in the park.

Yeah, they and their family can't even see it, like wtf. lmao.

They could at least put it into an obscure area in like the Festhaus or something. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rivertown Rider said:

Putting it in the Tower Gardens would be a great place for it.

It was. The first inductees (including the likes of Carmen Electra, Gary Wachs and Dennis Spiegel) did the whole hand print in concrete thing and they placed those stones in Tower Gardens for a while.

After a few good runs it turned from a Kings Island hall of fame to, “people you may have heard of Who worked here hall of fame” including people like talking heads from radio stations. At that point I was glad that I didn’t have to look at it anymore.  I didn’t want the legacy of the others degraded by what had clearly turned into nothing more than a publicity stunt.

There are park alumni that have had a marked impact in the history of the park, the industry, and the Cincinnati area whose names aren’t up on the wall for one reason or another:

-Bill Mefford 

-Bill Balfour

-Jack Rouse 

-Keith James

-Dan Schultz 

-Jeffrey Siebert 

-Craig Ross

-Tim Fischer 

...and countless more.

Both Greg Scheid and Al Weber were good choices though. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

It was. The first inductees (including the likes of Carmen Electra, Gary Wachs and Dennis Spiegel) did the whole hand print in concrete thing and they placed those stones in Tower Gardens for a while.

After a few good runs it turned from a Kings Island hall of fame to, “people you may have heard of Who worked here hall of fame” including people like talking heads from radio stations. At that point I was glad that I didn’t have to look at it anymore.  I didn’t want the legacy of the others degraded by what had clearly turned into nothing more than a publicity stunt.

There are park alumni that have had a marked impact in the history of the park, the industry, and the Cincinnati area whose names aren’t up on the wall for one reason or another:

-Bill Mefford 

-Bill Balfour

-Jack Rouse 

-Keith James

-Dan Schultz 

-Jeffrey Siebert 

-Craig Ross

-Tim Fischer 

...and countless more.

Both Greg Scheid and Al Weber were good choices though. 

I personally would have rather seen Bill Price or Walt Davis inducted before Al Weber. Greg Scheid was for sure a great choice.

I too have always found it bizarre that the Hall evolved into just "famous people who worked there," versus people who significantly shaped the park. I do feel that the last two inductions are on the right track. Weber left a large mark on the park for sure, for better or for worse.

On 9/14/2019 at 11:59 PM, KIghostguy said:

Kings Island is in need of a museum.  I hope they are planning it for the season after next (50th anniversary).  Especially now that Coney Island will no longer have any dry rides.  The KI Museum should cover all the way back to Coney Island, since that's where KI came from.  Easily enough time and material to do a whole museum to.  You could have different areas of the museum highlighting shows, rides, coasters, etc.  A train of cars from King Cobra would be a must as the first stand-up coaster.  You could have one section of just all the maps through out the years.  Hopefully someone will push to make this happen.  

• Like 6

5 hours ago, robintodd said:

Kings Island is in need of a museum.  I hope they are planning it for the season after next (50th anniversary).  Especially now that Coney Island will no longer have any dry rides.  The KI Museum should cover all the way back to Coney Island, since that's where KI came from.  Easily enough time and material to do a whole museum to.  You could have different areas of the museum highlighting shows, rides, coasters, etc.  A train of cars from King Cobra would be a must as the first stand-up coaster.  You could have one section of just all the maps through out the years.  Hopefully someone will push to make this happen.  

The money shot would be having a section that’s rotating exhibits. That way you could perpetually squeeze PR out of it.

• Like 1

We are working on the maps. Believe me, there are many who would love to have a museum in the park.

Here is the 1972 Map I recently completed and the front cover of the 1972 park guide. We have bunch more that are being scanned in and restoration should be completed over the next year.

e0a65b360d5d6526ac28727a3516cef6.jpgc46b7dddfb0421c540cf7378cd59a1f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

Believe me, there are many who would love to have a museum in the park.

That would be a dream come true. Seeing the photos in Coney BBQ and the concept art at The Beast makes me want it even more.  I believe there are still some remnants of defunct rides stored in the park that could put on display.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2019 at 3:43 PM, robintodd said:

I currently work at the park in rides and I have mentioned putting in a museum into the park to some higher ups. While none of the higher ups I talked to would have anything to do with the decision they liked the idea.

On 9/16/2019 at 2:18 PM, KIghostguy said:

Don Helbig is not in the Hall of Fame.

That's probably because he still currently works there.