Thoughts 2020 2021 2022 Coney Island Pool N Slide Center.

westcoaster

Whats everyones thoughts on whats next at Coney, the Park that keeps on keeping on. For the next couple years. 

2020 2021 2022

My thoughts 2020 will be a true cleanup year getting ready for a Memorial day to Labor Day Slide n Pool operation, rebranding, and cleaning out the former Ride Side. Removing foid, rides, games etc. 

2021 and 2022 Beyond me, Continue investment in The Sunlite pool areas. 

Does make you wonder the Future of the Park, group Picnics, and Special events. 

This will either work or it won’t. It’s that simple.

If they don’t do a major expansion of the water side over this winter, they are done for. They don’t have time to slowly work through 2020 to get where they need to be. The park will never survive an already short summer season where more than 50% won’t come because there aren’t any rides anymore.

• Confused 1

Just now, fyrfyter said:

The park will never survive an already short summer season where more than 50% won’t come because there aren’t any rides anymore.

Where are you getting the 50% figure?

By all accounts, the park made this decision after looking at the customer data and where guests are spending their time within the park. I don't think the park made this decision lightly and removing the rides provides significant savings (although it's a hard pill to swallow). I'd hardly say they're "done for" by solely having the pool (which truly has been their bread & butter for years), water attractions, and yearly festivals. 

Anecdotal: but I swung by yesterday just to snap some photos of the rides before they depart. People were enjoying them, but the "crowds" around the rides paled in comparison to the crowd at the pool and its line to get in. Hell, many of the people I saw actually enjoying the rides were donning amusement park t-shirts anyways. 

A lot of people on these forums, like with Orion, need to realize just what little percentage "enthusiasts" make up of park guests/buying power. 

• Like 3

Where are you getting the 50% figure?

By all accounts, the park made this decision after looking at the customer data and where guests are spending their time within the park. I don't think the park made this decision lightly and removing the rides provides significant savings (although it's a hard pill to swallow). I'd hardly say they're "done for" by solely having the pool (which truly has been their bread & butter for years), water attractions, and yearly festivals. 

Anecdotal: but I swung by yesterday just to snap some photos of the rides before they depart. People were enjoying them, but the "crowds" around the rides paled in comparison to the crowd at the pool and its line to get in. Hell, many of the people I saw actually enjoying the rides were donning amusement park t-shirts anyways. 

A lot of people on these forums, like with Orion, need to realize just what little percentage "enthusiasts" make up of park guests/buying power. 

Like I said before, you can fudge the numbers any way you want.

What it looks like and what it really is, is all that matters. Removal of rides is what will stick in everyone’s mind going into next season. Half the park gone = immediate reduction in price or nobody will go. A packed half will result in less people as well. People want space, not have to be stacked on one another.

I’m betting the attendance loss will be around 50%. That 50%, plus a reduction on the admission price is a net loss all around.

I suspect the seasonal margins are thin enough, that this has to fly within a year, otherwise it won’t happen at all.

EDIT: This reminds me a lot of another closure, where rides were removed and a “promised” water park expansion never happened... That park closed as well for many years...

1 hour ago, fyrfyter said:

Like I said before, you can fudge the numbers any way you want.

In terms of what? Looking at your actual customer data?

Removal of rides is what will stick in everyone’s mind going into next season.

Unless the average park goer doesn't care about the rides and only comes for the pool. In which case, that patron has lost nothing.

Half the park gone = immediate reduction in price or nobody will go.

It will be interesting to see how they restructure their pricing and with removing attractions, they'll definitely need to. 

I’m betting the attendance loss will be around 50%. That 50%, plus a reduction on the admission price is a net loss all around.

But again, where are you getting 50%? While it's unfortunate that the rides are being removed, the park no longer needs to staff, operate, or maintain such attractions—there's an immediate and vast cost savings right there. 

EDIT: This reminds me a lot of another closure, where rides were removed and a “promised” water park expansion never happened... That park closed as well for many years...

Are you referring to Geauga Lake? Because I'd say that situation is entirely different at a park with an entirely different background/history and operation. It was more than just a collection of carnival-style flat rides that complemented a water attraction and group sales events. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Outdoor Man said:

It's been a while since I've visited Coney- but if not mistaken (and correct me)- but the pool admission was separate from rides anyway wasn't it?  I could be wrong but I dont' recall it being one price for all.  If so, why would Coney need to reduce the price of admission to the pool?

Their website is currently advertising their "bonus weekends" which includes one price, general admission for all attractions: https://coneyislandpark.com/tickets-passes/bonus_weekend_pricing/

However, their pricing structure through the earlier parts of the year was: Pool tickets, ride tickets, or a combo of both parks: https://coneyislandpark.com/tickets-passes/daily-tickets/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gordon Bombay said:

Their website is currently advertising their "bonus weekends" which includes one price, general admission for all attractions: https://coneyislandpark.com/tickets-passes/bonus_weekend_pricing/

However, their pricing structure through the earlier parts of the year was: Pool tickets, ride tickets, or a combo of both parks: https://coneyislandpark.com/tickets-passes/daily-tickets/

Man, I didnt know Eurobungy was included in the Rides Price!  What a great deal!

• Like 1

My employer has their company picnic at Coney.  We get a shelter and unlimited ride wrist bands.  A sunlight pool upgrade was offered a few years ago and no one wanted to do it.  Since this announcement the higher ups have already started looking for a new picnic venue.  Makes me wonder if other companies feel the same.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, goettablitz said:

My employer has their company picnic at Coney.  We get a shelter and unlimited ride wrist bands.  A sunlight pool upgrade was offered a few years ago and no one wanted to do it.  Since this announcement the higher ups have already started looking for a new picnic venue.  Makes me wonder if other companies feel the same.

Tell them about Stricker's Grove.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

A substantial portion of the population has absolutely no interest in socializing with coworkers or management in swim attire.  The potential pitfalls keep HR personnel up night.  

This is the main reason why no one wanted to go to Sunlight Pool for my company picnic.  Coney says they want to focus on their picnic area (among other things) but i feel like the rides were their differentiation from say going to a picnic area at a park.  Prior to Coney my company picnic was held a public parks and will likely return to it now.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, goettablitz said:

Stricker's Gove has small business days for companies which are not large enough to rent the entire park.  ACE had an event at the park last year during one of the small business days and it was a fantastic experience.  The meal was really good, and the snack and drink stands are open and free, just walk up and grab what you want.  They make popcorn, snow cones, and cotton candy in a variety of flavors through the day.  I wish they had another event this year, would have liked to do it again.

• Like 4

^^ We have been going to stickers grove every year since I was little for my dad's union picnic in August. Other weekends are also bought out for other companies I know. Not only are pretzels, chips, snow cones, ice cream and cotton candy all free... So is all the beer! Plus the rides and admission too. So I'm sure the unions / companies must pay a ton to rent out the park for the day. But it's great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm surprised they'd do free beer, simply because that could lead to issues with guests drinking too much. If these things are anything like CFC (Cincinnati Financial) day was when I worked at The Beach in 2006, they keep track of the cost of the "free" food and bill the company for it. That's what we did (we gave out well over $1000 worth of Dippin' Dots that day as I recall - pretty much a non-stop line from open til close)

• Like 1

Coney's rides are now up for sale at Rides 4-U. Current prices:

Euro-Bungy: $10,000
Meltdown (the inflatable thingy under the tent near the swings): $10,000
Wipe-Out: $79,000
Top Spin: $349,000
Tilt-a-Whirl: $19,000
Tempest: $29,000
Scream Machine: $29,000
Rock-o-Plane: $19,000
River Runner: $179,000
Python: $129,000
Flying Bobs: $69,000
Scrambler: $29,000
Giant Slide: $29,000
Ferris Wheel: $29,000
Dodgems: $69,000
Carousel: $149,000
Turtle Parade: $12,500 (though supposedly already purchased by Cincinnati Circus Company)
Swing-A-Round: $20,000
Rockets: $12,500 (also supposedly purchased by Cincinnati Circus Company)
Fender Benders: $69,000
Frog Hopper: $29,000
Trains and Boats: $9500
Airplane: $19,000

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...