Skyline vs. Goldstar

JonahWilliamson

Skyline vs. Goldstar   

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Even as a kid, I couldn't stand GS. but skyline, I used to walk a few miles as a kid to get a hot dog. Love their dogs and 5 way. But its only good at the skyline places, I tried to buy the (overpriced cans) they are like 3-5 bucks for a small can! its watery and doesn't taste anywhere near as good as the actual places. my opinion- think its the preservatives and such. 

My family uses the canned chili to make Skyline Pizza. Here's how it works. It's dough, mustard, chili, cheese, and sliced hot dogs. My sister and I are kinda picky. I don't like cheese that much so I get my skyline pizza with everything, but cheese and my sister doesn't like mustard or hot dogs so she doesn't get either on it. My parents get everything on it. Now me with cheese I won't give a full explanation, but I actually get the cheese at the skyline restaurants even though it's cheddar like the store bought. I'm picky and I know it's kinda silly, but I actually think the cheese at skyline itself tastes different than the store bought. I don't know why, but that's just my opinion. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

My family uses the canned chili to make Skyline Pizza. Here's how it works. It's dough, mustard, chili, cheese, and sliced hot dogs. My sister and I are kinda picky. I don't like cheese that much so I get my skyline pizza with everything, but cheese and my sister doesn't like mustard or hot dogs so she doesn't get either on it. My parents get everything on it. Now me with cheese I won't give a full explanation, but I actually get the cheese at the skyline restaurants even though it's cheddar like the store bought. I'm picky and I know it's kinda silly, but I actually think the cheese at skyline itself tastes different than the store bought. I don't know why, but that's just my opinion. 

When do you put the hotdogs on? do you bake them? Never heard of skyline pizza, found this video but they didn't put the doggies on it. 

When I post this link, it loads a video and won't play, so im breaking the link up- there's a space after www

https://www .facebook.com/SkylineChili/videos/10156299844994577/

2 minutes ago, FreedomPenguin said:

When do you put the hotdogs on? do you bake them? Never heard of skyline pizza, found this video but they didn't put the doggies on it. 

When I post this link, it loads a video and won't play, so im breaking the link up- there's a space after www

https://www .facebook.com/SkylineChili/videos/10156299844994577/

Yes we bake the hot dogs with the pizza in the oven. 

I used to love Skyline.  Not being from Cincy, it is not often that I was able to ever eat there.  Over the years, coming back and having it, the quality (like many things) has been in steep decline and in my opinion is barely a shadow of what it used to be. The cheese is still the same, so that's good.  But there is noticeable difference in the quality of the mini dogs as well as the chili.  It has been cheapened for sure.  

I decided to try Gold Star a couple of years ago, and now go there instead when I am in town.  Love it!  That's why it gets my vote :)

13 minutes ago, Honorarius said:

Not having either anywhere close to where I live, I only discovered Skyline a few years ago, and now it's a must-do when I'm in the area... Should I give Gold Star a try instead???

If you want to try it then go for it. Gold star is a thicker chili. I voted gold star but I love both and eat both just depends what is around me at the time. 

• 1 month later...

Skyline all-night...all-day.

My fave in Cinci is probably Mt Pleasant. Camp Washington is outstanding too. Some of the Skylines can be right there too. Each one is different like most restaurants. I havent tried Dixie and can't remember Blue Ash, so that means I likely didn't have it. 

No longer in Dayton, but long live Chili King too.  I miss that one.   We only have the franchised Skylines...there must be a Goldstar too, but the one on Dixie North of Dayton is gone.  

Anyway I make a mean one too as does my wife.  

• Like 1

I'm definitely in the Skyline crowd.  Not only with the chili, but I prefer the Greek selections and the other non-chili items at Skyline over Gold Star.  The CBR (Chicken Bacon Ranch) wrap that they promote every once in a while is fantastic.  Love the burrito selection at Skyline, too.  

And though I like a few other chili places better like Camp Washington and Dixie, Skyline does coneys the absolute best.  I prefer CW and Dixie on ways though, and Dixie is, IMO, the best by itself. 

Also Extreme Cheese. 

My overall list goes something like this-

Dixie

Camp Washington

Skyline

Gold Star

Empress

Blue Ash

Price Hill

My favorite Skyline restaurants are 4th Street downtown Cincy, Clifton, Kings Mills, Glenway, Bridgetown, Oakley, and Newport.  

I worked at Skyline in high school- I used to joke that it made my stomach iron clad from eating it all the time.

I still to this day prefer Skyline over Gold Star, and I preferred it even before I worked there.

There is huge difference between a corporate store and a franchise- the one I worked for was corporate owned, which meant our portion and quality control was much more strict than a franchise. The chili all comes from the same place, but I’ve found the franchises like to add a little more water to it. 

The park Skyline leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion- portion control is way out of whack from what I was taught and the quality of chili just doesn’t seem to be quite as good. I will usually only get the park Skyline once a year if I am craving it, otherwise I will go to a restaurant.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DeltaFlyer said:

I will usually only get the park Skyline once a year if I am craving it, otherwise I will go to a restaurant.

I think I've had the park's Skyline only once. Maybe it is the high heat and humidity, but I just never crave it while I'm there. 

I've only had 5 Cincinatti-style chilis:  Skyline, Blue Ash, Gold Star, my own made at home, and the canned "Cincinnati chili" from Kroger.

My favorite is my own, because I can tailor is to my needs.  I've made it with beef, buffalo, turkey and chicken.  I've added whole ghost peppers while it is cooking.  I've tried different pastas.

Next is Skyline, then Gold Star, then Blue Ash.  The generic Cincinnati chili from Kroger is really good, but I'd rather make my own.  Whoever Skyline uses to make their retail products makes it too, because the contact information is the same--or Skyline itself makes it and sells is as the generic version.