On this date in 1970...

BoddaH1994

On this date in 1970 construction on The Racer began.  John Allen considered it to be his finest work. 

Much more info below:

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2019/september/this-date-in-1970-construction-of-the-racer-began-at-kings-island

I must add that Racer was my first "big" coaster when I rode it on my first visit to Kings Island in 1991.

• Like 9

Same. My first Racer ride was on June 6, 2008. Since that first ride, I have rode it a total of 259 times. The Racer will always be my favorite ride at Kings Island and I will keep on riding it until further notice.

Also, something interesting I almost forgot to mention. The most times I rode Racer at once is 26 times in a row.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Joshua said:

I'm curious. It says the first trial run was in September of 1971, how long did it take to build? Was it really a full year? 

Probably sits in the category of them having a lot going on and not being in a particular hurry with that.  They also may not have had the trains until then.

Someone pointed this out to me. There was a major change to The Racer between the 1972 and ‘73 seasons. This is something we haven’t really discussed but it is in this photo below. Any guesses?

7F020DF8-5DEE-4721-A018-5DB40560E73F.jpeg

pc: www.twitter.com/KingsIslandPR

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Probably sits in the category of them having a lot going on and not being in a particular hurry with that.  They also may not have had the trains until then.

Someone pointed this out to me. There was a major change to The Racer between the 1972 and ‘73 seasons. This is something we haven’t really discussed but it is in this photo below. Any guesses?

7F020DF8-5DEE-4721-A018-5DB40560E73F.jpeg

pc: www.twitter.com/KingsIslandPR

Looks like there are red trains on both sides. Also, when was the exit changed?

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

Interestingly, there was no set side for colors until 2008. You will often see photos of two red trains, two blue trains, red on the left track and blue on the right track, etc.

D'oh! I'm so used to the current setup that I've completely forgotten about that.

Looking at the photo again, the wooden rails on the walkway appear to have a bluish hue. Is that because of the light or were they originally painted that way? 

18 minutes ago, HarvestmanMan said:

The location of the exit ramp...?

I already mentioned that. I am curious when it was re-routed, but surely it couldn't have been so soon? 

EDIT: When did they add the walls to the final brake run? And more importantly, WHY? It looks much better without them. 

I'm sure the 4 car trains hauled more than the current ones. Follow up question, has the second "lift chain" been on the ride the whole time, or was it added as a way to make sure the longer trains made it up the larger hill (beside the current KMAA)?

The original trains were 4 cars and upgraded to 5 car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk