Removals for 2020

Rivertown Rider

Just now, kirbias1 said:

Odd how Cedar Fair won't retire Corkscrew when it is older than Vortex and CP having a lack of land to expand and KI has almost 400 acres of undeveloped land. I find this very suspect. "Reached End of Service Life". Yeah, right!

im sure its easy to fix such a short ride like corkscrew though

Back when KI dominated CP, Vortex was actually the reason Cedar Point was prompted to build Magnum. Vortex opened as the highest coaster in the world with the most inversions and first to have 3 types of inversions on one ride 1987. Magnum opened 2 years later as the highest coaster in the world beating out Vortex and Shockwave, thus, beginning Cedar Point's path to what it is now. Vortex was also responsible for getting KI over 3 million mark in attendance for the first time ever.

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, kirbias1 said:

Vortex was also responsible for getting KI over 3 million mark in attendance for the first time ever.

During the main summer season, yes. But the first time Kings Island attendance went over three million people for the first time ever was 1984.

7 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

Here is an article from the Cincinnati Post on it from December 17, 1984. 1985's attendance also surpassed 3 million.

Screenshot 2019-09-27 at 10.29.06 PM.png

Yes, but this is including Winterfest. Vortex helped break the record for the summer season for the first time ever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, collin.klopfstein said:

What I think the top 7 options are for Kings Island in 2023:

7: wing coaster/ launched wing coaster

6: rmc t rex

5: rmc raptor

4: Ground up rmc 

3: dive coaster

2: multi launch

1: I hate saying this but forbidden frontier type area

Honorable mention: Maybe expansion

I think if it's a forbidden frontier type thing, it'll come earlier than 2023. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kirbias1 said:

Odd how Cedar Fair won't retire Corkscrew when it is older than Vortex and CP having a lack of land to expand and KI has almost 400 acres of undeveloped land. I find this very suspect. "Reached End of Service Life". Yeah, right!

Corkscrew is a less dynamic roller coaster than Vortex. The stresses placed on the connections and footings pale in comparison to those in Vortex.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Could this mean that the theory that Vortex is sinking was true?

No.

Not meaning to do a one word post, but that myth has always been absurd. People have been saying that for decades. If it was sinking that long, it would be about 30 feet tall by now.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Could this mean that the theory that Vortex is sinking was true?

Not necessarily, but it is interesting how abrupt this announcement was. With Firehawk and Son of Beast, the park announced their closures when they already had a plan for a new coaster. In both cases, the park announced a new coaster the next year. In Vortex’s case, you would think they would do the same and announce its closure when they are ready to replace it with a new ride, but they definitely are not ready to replace it. Chad Showalter said they do not know what is going to replace it yet, and the park has not said it is going to be removed soon like they did with Firehawk. For Firehawk, they said it would be removed and come down fast, and with Vortex, all they said was it was going to be retired. I see it sitting for a few years until they are ready to tear it down and replace it. There has to be some reason that we likely will never know as to why they had to remove it so suddenly. In the end, I have faith in Cedar Fair and believe that they know what they are doing. I know they will replace it with something even better!

• Like 3

If the ride is going to be gone, I want it to be gone.

Sitting SBNO for years is not the treatment that Vortex deserves. An empty field right off the midway next to your big new attraction is kind of a bad look, but an abandoned old steel coaster being left to rust away right next to your big new ride is a very bad look.

• Like 8

I think its funny how people don't understand basic structural engineering. If a multiton roller coaster sinks into the ground overtime, it wouldn't just vertically lower like an elevator. If this were true parts of the track would have bent off years ago and would have eventually buckeled and/or snapped. I personally know people who stand by the idea that it sinks and those people need to get their brain checked.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

Corkscrew is a less dynamic roller coaster than Vortex. The stresses placed on the connections and footings pale in comparison to those in Vortex.

Yes, Corkscrew is less dynamic, but Lochness Monster at BGW was built in the 70's and is similar to Vortex in height and speed, but that is still going strong, as is Viper at Six Flags MM. I just don't buy what they are telling us. I think it's more than that. 

• Like 2

:lol: I hadn't posted in this thread but I did in some of The Vortex threads.  I saw it early yesterday morning a little after 6 a.m.. Yesterday was a crazy day.  It is like a show where you expect one character (Invertigo) to die but there is a plot twist and the series regular (Vortex) meets its demise.  All in all though, I look forward to what the future brings.

• Like 3

KI said they were retiring Vortex or that Vortex was leaving they did not say it was coming down or use the word removing. It could be possible that as with Mantis it could be renamed with new Floorless trains and be back in use next year. Cp had a big tearful goodby for Mantis with everyone wondering what would replace it but it's track still stands today as a great new ride. Could everyone be jumping the gun on Vortex removal?  Again they said retire not remove.

• Like 4

KI said they were retiring Vortex or that Vortex was leaving they did not say it was coming down or use the word removing. It could be possible that as with Mantis it could be renamed with new Floorless trains and be back in use next year. Cp had a big tearful goodby for Mantis with everyone wondering what would replace it but it's track still stands today as a great new ride. Could everyone be jumping the gun on Vortex removal?  Again they said retire not remove.

I was thinking this too since that's what they did with Rougarou. But it still seems odd timing. One would think they would do it on an off year not a year we are already getting a huge new giga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1