Vortex Is Leaving After This Fall Season

THE_BEASTmaster

Shocked! I know it's age, I know it's rough, but it's so iconic, plus with the removal of a coaster last year and Orion coming I did not expect this. I wonder why no teasing like with Firehawk last year, except for the funeral scene, but there was no build up or anticipation.

Could this be connected to Orion, space for a Coney Mall expansion of flats? Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

• Like 5

**Insert Vortex sinking joke 

This is a sad day. I haven’t ridden Vortex as much as I did in my younger years because it’s a little too rough for me, but to me Vortex is Kings Island as much as the Eiffel Tower is. Such a beautiful ride. It’s going to be painful to watch this one go down.

In reference to @flightoffear1996’s mention of 2021, I wouldn’t count on it. My understanding is that one of the reasons that we are getting the giga so close to Mystic (time-wise) is because they knew that the lifecycle of The Vortex was to end this year. This may be hearsay, but the information was spot on.

Also, KI blog: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2019/september/kings-island-to-retire-Vortex-after-33-seasons

• Like 11

This is very sad to hear! I rode it every visit this year and I'm glad I did. I think a part of me knew this might happen. It's going to be very strange not seeing that Arrow Looper in the park.  Hopefully they put that land to good use real soon. 

On a lighter side, I didn't realize it was "Falk Season." Gotta dig out those old Columbo DVDs! :D 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Oldschool75 said:

Unexpected, especially with the work done to it in the last year. I have a feeling this is not exactly the time they planned to retire it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably another soulless budget B&M generic dive coaster in the next few years. Vortex was always must ride for me when I visited the park. Usually I had to ride it by myself and I came to live everything about it. All her quirks. Old Tex will be missed dearly 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Joshua said:

Bummer! Hopefully they put that land to good use real soon. 

I’m concerned about this large, exposed plot of land that encompasses a big part of the back of the park being empty with no short term plans for it. Time will tell. It’ll be weird not having it back there...

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I’m concerned about this large, exposed plot of land that encompasses a big part of the back of the park being empty with no short term plans for it. Time will tell. It’ll be weird not having it back there...

I've re-edited my post to reflect this very sentiment. I have a couple years on Vortex, so for me, it has always been at the park. They have to have some sort of idea for that land, right? 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I’m kind of the same way. I’m a little emotionally torn. I won’t really miss riding it, but I will miss it being there.

Broke the news to my kid: she actually teared up. :( I didn't expect that big of emotion but it's her first big coaster and "best loopy" to her. She's only had 2 seasons to ride so looks like I'll be setting at the queue a few hours while she wears herself out tomorrow.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

I’m going to throw this out there. It may not be a popular opinion, but...

Why give all this fanfare to Firehawk going away last season and Vortex is barely a blog post? One of these is definitely better than the other one. This just seems very poor handling of an iconic ride, whereas half the people you talked to hated Firehawk.

I guess this just tells me there is nothing in the immediate future that will replace it.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

I can`t imagine that the park will let this area sit vacant for too long.  However, it will be difficult to put much in there other than a coaster, as that area has a lot of topography changes.  

While Cedar Point still has their Corkscrew, Six Flags has removed many of their large Arrow multi-looper coasters.  Six Flags Great America and Great Adventure immediately come to mind.  Can`t say that I am too surprised Vortex is leaving.  I just hope that they can re-utilize its station (which used to be The Bat`s station.

• Like 7

Would they build a new coaster to fill that plot of land so soon after Orion? Is this why Orion is not a record breaker because they knew they would need to build another coaster? Would they have it ready for Kings Islands 50th anniversary despite Cedar Point not doing much for their 150th?

So many questions...

• Like 6

Seriously? This feels like a joke, but I know it's not. I know Vortex is sometimes rough and makes me dizzy, but I didn't think it would be leaving so soon. I wonder if @VortexBFForever knows...

Vortex is (well, was) an iconic coaster that I thought would be at the park longer. And yes, in hindsight, I do find it weird that Firehawk had a bigger sendoff then Vortex (though in Firehawk's defense, it was a pretty cutting edge, unique coaster) and also that the inferior Corkscrew is still standing (probably for historical reasons, though) while Vortex is crumbling. I will be likely be taking some laps Sunday (and "Closing Day") to say goodbye. I'll miss the sweet airtime from the drop you get in the back. Hopefully it's successor is just as classic. This seems like it would be a good spot for a Dive coaster, but a sit-down multi looper would be a great tribute to the ride.

Finally, I'm glad I enjoyed it a lot this summer as there was a small window of time where I'd ride it up to three times in a row (and most of the time, Vortex is a one and done for me)!

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

I can`t imagine that the park will let this area sit vacant for too long.  However, it will be difficult to put much in there other than a coaster, as that area has a lot of topography changes.  

While Cedar Point still has their Corkscrew, Six Flags has removed many of their large Arrow multi-looper coasters.  Six Flags Great America and Great Adventure immediately come to mind.  Can`t say that I am too surprised Vortex is leaving.  I just hope that they can re-utilize its station (which used to be The Bat`s station.

In the short term maybe they could put another Haunt there or use it for Winterfest?

I've thought for a while now that the 2 prime locations for the next big coaster after Orion would either be The Vortex plot or The Bat Plot of land. The Bat would free up unused SOB land. Either way I don't like this trend of coasters leaving and there is at least 2 more that may be "near the end of their service life". The Bat and Invertigo  Speaking of Vortex. After noticing how bad the paint was and the chaser lights on the lift hill not working right this summer I just had a feeling the park knew its days were numbered. So that is perhaps why they did not paint it or fix the lights.

• Like 5

Interesting news to wake up to. To be upset or sad over a 33 year old steel coaster being removed is silly. What used to be a must ride for me and my daughters every trip turn into only three rides all season, and we’ve been 46 times this year. In our trips we saw The Vortex stuck or having maintenance issues many times. One day we waited at Juke Box received our meal, ate our meal, and watched for awhile as The Vortex was stuck on MCBR. That was death blow for my kids never to ride it again. I rode it for the last time Labor Day weekend. Worst ride in my 25 years of riding. The Vortex was the most intimidating coaster I ever saw as a kid. It was the only coaster I was ever scared of. May it Rest In Peace.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Absolutely shocked to hear this. I second that this feels like a joke. We all talked about it for years, but seemed so sure it would be around longer. This will always, always, always hold a special place in my heart as the coaster that got me into inversions. Rest in piece, Vortex. You will be missed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Sorry for a second post, but this opens up a huge opportunity for the 50th anniversary of Kings Island to open a great new coaster. Hoping for something like Maverick or Copperhead Strike.

Cedar Fair never puts a coasters on parks’ anniversaries. Look at CP 150th and KD 40th. The anniversaries sell themselves. Look for a new coaster the year after the 50th especially since a giga is a huge investment

• Like 2