Vortex Is Leaving After This Fall Season

THE_BEASTmaster

3 minutes ago, Bansheelover said:

Sorry for a second post, but this opens up a huge opportunity for the 50th anniversary of Kings Island to open a great new coaster. Hoping for something like Maverick or Copperhead Strike.

Agreed.  A lot of good terrain back there to work with a coaster like these.  It’s the only thing the park is truly missing.  And a perfect spot for it, too.

• Like 3

I’m completely saddened and disappointed by this news. Two coasters gone in two years? What are they thinking? Especially as one as iconic and beautiful as Vortex. I could see them announcing its removal for a new coaster, but to announce it without a replacement... This just sounds wrong. I’m very curious why they want to remove it without replacement. Honestly kind of makes me lose respect for KI and CF, no matter how silly it seems. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Phantom Theater said:

I’m completely saddened and disappointed by this news. Two coasters gone in two years? What are they thinking? Especially as one as iconic and beautiful as Vortex. I could see them announcing its removal for a new coaster, but to announce it without a replacement... This just sounds wrong. I’m very curious why they want to remove it without replacement. Honestly kind of makes me lose respect for KI and CF, no matter how silly it seems. 

Firehawk was announced without a replacement. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Phantom Theater said:

Vortex is old.  Probably a maintenance nightmare.  And a good 8 out of 10 people probably choose not to ride it due to its roughness.  Look at Kings Island’s Facebook post about the removal - nearly everyone concurs that Vortex is just too rough.  It’s time, and you can bet that space won’t sit vacant for too long.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, kiisgreat said:

Cedar Fair never puts a coasters on parks’ anniversaries. Look at CP 150th and KD 40th. The anniversaries sell themselves. Look for a new coaster the year after the 50th especially since a giga is a huge investment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s why I wrote they have a huge opportunity.  Cedar Fair has a plan. They have yet to disappoint me with the direction of Kings Island.

• Like 6

I will say, Don did a great job writing that post! And also, is it possible that the #itsbigitsgone hashtag was referring to Vortex? Overall, I now feel better about this decision considering the factors for removal (age, roughness, lack of new paint, etc.) and look forward to seeing what will happen with that space (Also, to clarify, when said a sit-down looper might replace Vortex, I was thinking something by S&S, Gerstlauer, or even RMC).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

Vortex is old.  Probably a maintenance nightmare.  And a good 8 out of 10 people probably choose not to ride it due to its roughness.  Look at Kings Island’s Facebook post about the removal - nearly everyone concurs that Vortex is just too rough.  It’s time, and you can bet that space won’t sit vacant for too long.

I understand that the area won’t be vacant for long and I do understand the reasoning behind it’s removal, however, we are getting Orion for next year. That land will probably stay vacant for 3-5 years before  another coaster is put there. Unless they plan on some unexpected expansion of Coney Mall. Firehawk was off the beaten path and it’s presence isn’t really missed. Vortex has a large presence and it will be missed. 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Here is something to consider:

Kings Island has now lost 2 major roller coasters in 2 years.....what does this mean?

We should consider the very likely possibility that the two removals are completely independent of each other. It’s the likely case anyway.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Joshua said:

I can't think of a time, in recent memory at least, that KI has announced a new high dollar attraction while dropping the news of a major ride's closure. 

My issue is that a new, high dollar attraction announcement for Vortex’s replacement is not expected like many expected for Firehawk. I guess we can hope for a Coney expansion, but I doubt we will see anything for a couple years. 

• Like 3

I’m just so confused, it’s not a maintenance nightmare and they just removed a major coaster last season. The future is not looking very bright to say the least if they keep this trend up. I get some people don’t like Vortex but it was a popular, easy to run reliable ride. I don’t know why they’ve done what they done but I’m incredibly disappointed in their decision.

• Like 8

What a thing to wake up to. I find this shocking to be removed to quickly after the loss of Firehawk. I just hope they replace Vortex with another iconic ride and pay tribute to it. I need to get a ride on it before the end of the season. (My friend and I had a bet that I wouldn't get on it before the end of the season) So sad to see it go. Such a beautiful and iconic ride that used the crazy topography well. 

• Like 2

Now I am sad I did not ride it this year. We went two times and is the first two times I never went on it. It has gotten a little to rough for me and I am to the point I have to choose between it or The Beast for one ride and I will never choose something else over The Beast. I can ride the smooth stuff over and over but I am just getting old, lol. Now I want to go back ASAP but I don't think I can 

• Like 5

I think the thing that everyone can agree on is that this is just, sad. Plain and simple. Whether you loved or hated the ride in its recent years, at some point this was a favorite for most of us. And it was definitely a first big coaster for a lot of us ( myself included ).

I definitely plan to make a point to come down and ride it on the last day. I will miss this majestic beauty. They just don't make coasters this visually appealing anymore. 

Definitely did not expect to see another coaster go away so soon, let alone an iconic one. When you say Kings Island, you think Vortex. He's an old friend. One that might give you some tough nudges, but loyal and steadfast.

Yes. I am a sad Foxx. Another big loss for the year for me.

• Like 8

I honestly don’t see a new rollercoaster until at least 2023. Cedar Fair is not the company to build new rides for anniversaries, so I don’t see a new one in 2022. And in 2021, Cedar Point is getting a new ride along with the fact that we just got one the year before. I say 2023 because people are going to be annoyed with the fact that Vortex is gone with no immediate replacement.

• Like 5

It’s strange to me that Kings Island broke the news at 5:00am on a Friday. It’s feels like they are trying to avoid a news cycle and not say much about it. Very different from Firehawk’s removal announcement IIRC... maybe because they knew we would love the short term replacement for Firehawk and aren’t sure about Vortex’s replacement.

Either way, I will miss this ride. The first drop is one of the few that still “gets my stomach.” I imagine that won’t be an issue with the addition of Orion. 

This is a tough one for us to see go for so many reasons. RIP Vortex.

• Like 10

That's just horrible to hear. Such an icon at the park, that once it's gone, will be such a void. I'm ****ed that neither of my kids will be able to cut their teeth on this coaster, the same way that I did. It also seems like a terrible idea to shutter coasters prior to next season, where there will be a need for coasters to eat up some people to keep the lines better on Orion. All around, just not what I would have expected to see happen this season. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, coasterfanatic83 said:

It’s strange to me that Kings Island broke the news at 5:00am on a Friday.

I agree, I know Kings Island probably knew this at the beginning of the season and probably for some time now that Vortex was going away, but the whole way this was announced and being kinda swept under the rug seems very last minute and hasty. 

• Like 4