Vortex Is Leaving After This Fall Season

THE_BEASTmaster

"why" keeps coming up in my head. I was really looking forward to riding Vortex w/ orion in the background.

Orion felt like it more than made up for Firehawk being taken out. But I feel like Vortex deserves its own replacement. Usually a huge coaster like this would get replaced by a new coaster, but KI was barely able to get this giga.. I fear we might see an empty plot for awhile.

But, whenever they do finally put something in (could be sooner cause of the unique situation) i just hope it's something that is a looper.. would be cool to have something finally go 90* down at KI.. but perhaps not a dive coaster still.

I was content with our giga, but now I just wish we had a more substantial giga lol (don't blast me :p)

this is very upsetting for a lot of KI fans. 

• Like 9

Just now, LintemuthStudios said:

Can't say I'm surprised. Vortex has a pretty bad reputation, and the only time I went to KI the ride was closed on and off all day. That's not okay.

Hopefully they don't leave it SBNO.

I strongly disagree, it was a popular ride. Yes a large amount of people find it to be rough but a lot of people still enjoy the ride. 

• Like 6

Wow! Vortex will be missed for sure! I have not ridden it in a couple years though. Between it's tough transitions and my getting a bit older...it's just not for me anymore like it used to be. But, of course, I remember fondly of The Bat that stood there too. I was way more upset about The Bat being dismantled at the time. It was such a new style coaster back then and I absolutely loved that ride. I'll surely miss The Vortex, and I'm hoping for something great to take it's place since it is/was such an iconic piece of KI's landscape.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Browntggrr said:

Bad reputation?  How so?

Just look at all the replies on Twitter and Reddit. Most people aren't surprised and say that it's rough. Not enjoyable.

Trust me, I'm upset as much as everyone else on this forum, but this has been coming for a while now. I'm more mad about the fact that there's going to be a giant section of the park left empty. Maybe they put a new restaurant or flat in that space for the time being?

• Like 4

There are some here that just can’t admit to themselves that there are far more people who skip Vortex because it’s too rough than those who still find it enjoyable.  It’s a maintenance nightmare because it has issues frequently and Arrow is not even an operating company anymore to get parts from.  It’s nearly always a walk-on ride during the season, so even it’s popularity is in question.  Is it popular, or is that nostalgia coming into play?

• Like 4

Just now, LintemuthStudios said:

Just look at all the replies on Twitter and Reddit. Most people aren't surprised and say that it's rough. Not enjoyable.

Trust me, I'm upset as much as everyone else on this forum, but this has been coming for a while now. I'm more mad about the fact that there's going to be a giant section of the park left empty. Maybe they put a new restaurant or flat in that space for the time being?

I also see a bunch of replies saying how upset they are with this decision, people still like the ride. Just look on this forum, there’s plenty of Vortex fans out there. This ride was liked by many.

• Like 3

Well this is not how I wanted to start off my Friday. This is just terrible to fathom, the first coaster I ever went upside down on is leaving. I’m kind of speechless because when I was there a few weeks ago I didn’t ride it. Now I totally regret it because I can’t make it back I time. I really hope they don’t add something generic or cookie cutter. Hopefully we can see a return of #Intamin haha sorry had to end with a joke cuz I’m sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Maverick44 said:

Well this is not how I wanted to start off my Friday. This is just terrible to fathom, the first coaster I ever went upside down on is leaving. I’m kind of speechless because when I was there a few weeks ago I didn’t ride it. Now I totally regret it because I can’t make it back I time. I really hope they don’t add something generic or cookie cutter. Hopefully we can see a return of #Intamin haha sorry had to end with a joke cuz I’m sad.

If they put something comparable to Maverick or Copperhead Strike in there, I’d welcome a return of Intamin if they could get their stuff together. 

• Like 5

If they didn’t have plans for the area why not just limp it through for the next year or so?  The Racer and The Beast are the only two left that I consider the core. Why not remove invertago the old Crypt building. 

I don’t buy the end of life span crap. Corkscrew at Cedar Point is much older and so rough it’s almost unrideable 

• Like 11

Just told my kids, they are really upset by it. One of them worked up the courage to ride it for the first time this year, another of them did the same last year, and my youngest at only 46" will not get the opportunity now and she would have loved it. My other three kids have ridden it for the last couple of years alot.

Seeing them upset about a coaster from my childhood leaving is interesting, I guess it's not silly to be upset about 33 year old steel coaster leaving after all.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

If they didn’t have plans for the area why not just limp it through for the next year or so?  The Racer and The Beast are the only two left that I consider the core. Why not remove invertago the old Crypt building. 

I don’t buy the end of life span crap. Corkscrew at Cedar Point is much older and so rough it’s almost unrideable 

This is exactly why I’m confused. They JUST removed a coaster, and they’re removing another the next year? At least let it go through next season. Something is weird about this, and I don’t like it. Hopefully this isn’t a trend, like Paramounts “updating” of the park and removing classics. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, super7 said:

It’s a horrible, rough coaster with some of the worst transitions in the business. One could visually see how bad the transitions are. It’s not a great loss and there are a lot better coasters that will fill that space

I think a lot of us aren’t mad at the fact it is being removed. It is the sudden, early morning announcement coupled with the fact that Orion is coming next year, essentially confirming that nothing will replace it for years to come. I think everyone agrees that it is old, rickety, and rough, and it was due to be *replaced* soon. I think that the decision to remove it without a replacement (again, Orion basically confirms no other coasters coming soon) is upsetting most of us. Who knows, maybe they’ll surprise all with a “real” giga for 2021 :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is exactly why I’m confused. They JUST removed a coaster, and they’re removing another the next year? At least let it go through next season. Something is weird about this, and I don’t like it. Hopefully this isn’t a trend, like Paramounts “updating” of the park and removing classics. 

Yeah something had to of happened to it recently. Maybe they cannot gets the parts it need any longer idk. Why wait so long into the season to say it’s leaving. This should of had a longer time to say goodbyes. Mean Streak has a longer time this just sucks I can’t make it make to ride one last time. I may be in the minority but I for 1 do not want a dive coaster at least night right now. Anything but another B&M right now. Don’t hate I just want something aggressive and intense.

• Like 4

I'm a bit surprised by this. As others said while it was having some issues and has been around awhile there are older Arrow loopers out there still in CF's chain. It will be very strange to see that plot of land sitting empty without it. I'm hoping it doesn't stay that way too long but as we are getting a major invest next year I don't see another big coaster replacing it for a few years. I have thought that that location would be a great spot for a dive coaster with the lift in same general spot and drop coming out towards BLSC. That would likely be another 4-5 years down the line though. It's just sad to see such an iconic coaster of the park leaving.

• Like 5