Vortex Is Leaving After This Fall Season

THE_BEASTmaster

I love(d) Vortex, unfortunately as I grew older, it stopped loving me back.  I have not ridden Vortex in 2 or 3 seasons, my son will only ride it occasionally, my wife feels the same as I.  Such a beautiful ride to look at and watch, once you see the smiling eyes, you can never un-see them again.  I'll have to find a way to get another lap in one last time before the end of the year.  Similar to Son of Beast, the roughness will be forgotten in short order while the memories last a lifetime.  This ride will be talked about for a long time to come and mostly remembered fondly.  One could argue that plot of land held both of the 2 most visually interesting coasters in the park.

Does this mean they can put the pond back in by The Beast :)

• Like 7

Ah, what can I say, it’s my dads favorite ride but for years I’ve called it the “headache express” I’ll miss seeing it plus the fact that’s it’s nearly a walk-on wait time. I was always scared of it as a kid but have grown fond of it. I only could ride it 2 or 3 times before I’d reach my limit but I will defiantly miss the spectacle. Like the Corkscrew at CP, the view is iconic. Rest easy big guy! 

• Like 2

Broke the news to my kid: she actually teared up.  I didn't expect that big of emotion but it's her first big coaster and "best loopy" to her. She's only had 2 seasons to ride so looks like I'll be setting at the queue a few hours while she wears herself out tomorrow.

It would be great if my daughter is tall enough to ride it, she was shocked to hear it on the news this morning. I got to make a trip there to try and ride it for the last time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I'm speechless. This was the ride I would spend hours as a kid just watching. To be honest, it was the reason I fell in love with roller coasters. I was fascinated by Vortex's design and its physics. I loved the presence it had. As others have stated, it wasn't just another ride: it was an icon and a landmark. I was born in '88, so for me this is like losing a friend who I grew up with. I know that sounds ridiculous... 

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, VortexBFForever said:

I know a lot of people are waiting for my take on this...I'm so shocked.

I knew I would have to say goodbye to Vortex at some point, yet this is still sooner than I expected.

Vortex has a special place in my heart for more reasons than one, most notably it being my first job and my first looping coaster. Because of Vortex, inversions are my favorite element on any coaster.

At this point, I don't care for Orion. I'm still glad we're getting it, but I'm purely devoting these next five weekends to enjoying Vortex while I still can, both as an associate and as a guest.

-BFF, who will now start bringing a handful of tissues with her to Kings Island...

This is all in the heat of the moment for me so my view may change later, but as of now, all the hype for Orion for me died. I absolutely loved Vortex, and entering the park next year and not seeing it there anymore is going to hit hard. Really hard. For me next year isn't about the addition of Orion but the removal of Vortex. Last year when Firehawk went, I thought it would be safe for a while. Guess they'll be removing two coasters back to back instead. It sucks. It really sucks. I really thought next year was going to be amazing. 

• Like 8

I don’t understand why they don’t make these coaster closure announcements near the beginning of a season. It would only bring in more customers who want to ride it for the last time. With a month to go, it will be hard for many to get another ride in.

I’m also disappointed in the closing of two coasters so close together with only one coaster announced. You never want to feel like you’re going backward in what’s being offered.

• Like 3

My guess is that they will start a brand new area with a bunch of rides from Coney Island. Maybe even a brand new coaster in the vacant area. Just because Coney Island has no plans to move any rides for Coney Island to KI at the time doesn't mean they won't move them there in the future.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

also, isn't there a certain 50-year anniversary coming up in 2022?  May have to put up with an empty lot for a couple seasons but if I were a betting person, I'd guess that they knew exactly what's going there and may use Summer 2020 as a "tease" season + 2021 as a development period to tweak a lot of interest.  

Anyone with half a brain knew by late 2011 that Son of Beast was returning to the earth, but it wasn't until August 2012 that it really became apparent and mid-2013 before "next" began to take shape.  The corpse of SoB was destined to remain where it was until "next" was finalized.  Building coasters, from initial call to first rider, is probably a 4 year process, especially a custom-build.  My guess is that the contract for Orion became official in Orlando circa November 2017.  What will eventually replace Vortex sans 2022 may have likely had it's genesis in 2018.

My only question is- what becomes of the "haunted house" other than a *** NEW *** Haunt attraction?

• Like 3

This was my first looper, I was terrified to go upside down. Then during one trip with my church, my youth minister looked at me said "you're riding it" and made me go on it, I was terrified, but in the end I loved it. Then it got rougher and rougher, and I began to skip it. Finally as the years went on and I grew bigger I became unable to fit into the coaster. (6'4" with most of it being in my legs, and a big gut = No go for any arrows).

It's the most beautiful ride I've ever seen the picturesque bat wing and the way it fit that area, will forever be beautiful. RIP Vortex while I won't miss riding you, I will miss seeing you.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Fitzcoasts14 said:

My guess is that they will start a brand new area with a bunch of rides from Coney Island. Maybe even a brand new coaster in the vacant area. Just because Coney Island has no plans to move any rides for Coney Island to KI at the time doesn't mean they won't move them there in the future.

I doubt that, it was already announced that  KI isn't purchasing any rides from Coney, plus that land has a ton of elevation change, not a great spot for a ton of flats.  My guess is a new coaster takes its place in 3-4 years.

• Like 3

When people started talking about the funeral set up at this year's Haunt, I saw someone mention Vortex and I literally commented "no way it's Vortex. That ride deserves a full farewell season. It's too iconic." I'm old enough to remember when the ride briefly got the same treatment as The Beast -- just as that one had the pawprints leading back to it, Vortex had its logo on the Coney Mall paths for a bit. 

When I was a kid, The Vortex was one of those coasters I initially thought I would never ride. It was too scary. Riding it the first time was like an initiation, and it was the rare roller coaster that still gave me butterflies in my stomach well into adulthood (the airtime on those barrel rolls). I still think The Vortex has one of the best first drops at Kings Island, and its structure is gorgeous. It's my favorite place in the park to take photos and I honestly cannot imagine the park skyline without it. I've had a great time riding it with my nephews as they've grown older and tried new things. My 7-year-old son just hit the 48'' mark this year. He did Mystic Timbers but was still apprehensive about The Vortex. I told him not to worry; one day, he'd be brave enough to try it. Now, he never will (we live in Detroit, so I doubt we'll get back for a final run). 

I do feel like I aged out of The Vortex. Some years, I didn't ride it at all. To say it wasn't the smoothest ride in the park is an understatement; I often had to pop an Advil upon leaving, and there was one year it popped the lenses right out of my glasses (which were in my pocket). I'm glad I took time to ride it this summer -- and that first drop and those barrel rolls were just as good as ever. 

I am surprised by the rushed nature of the release. As others said, Firewhawk seemed to get a much grander send off and, to be honest, it wasn't a quarter of what this ride was. Vortex is iconic, and I'd argue it played a big role in building Kings Island's reputation.  I wish there had been one last season to ride, but I wonder if this was something initially planned for next year that had to be accelerated. Kings Island has shown too much respect for its own history to think that it would intentionally relegate the closing of one of its best coasters to a time when most people can't revisit. 

Like I said, I'm going to miss Vortex being part of Kings Island's skyline. I'm sure Orion is going to be a great addition, but the back of the park will look really empty without those loops and that hill. I really hope they don't leave it SBNO for a season; respect the ride. Once it's done giving its thrills, take it down. Don't leave it decrepit and silent. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, LintemuthStudios said:

Just look at all the replies on Twitter and Reddit. Most people aren't surprised and say that it's rough. Not enjoyable.

Trust me, I'm upset as much as everyone else on this forum, but this has been coming for a while now. I'm more mad about the fact that there's going to be a giant section of the park left empty. Maybe they put a new restaurant or flat in that space for the time being?

Same complaints are made about Beast, Magnum and even DB due to the shimmying (which still boggles my mind).  Younger generation has been "spoiled" by the smoothness of today's technology- and that's not a bad thing, it just is what it is.

Rest assured, there is a plan in place- give it about 3 years.  Given the terrain, I'm guessing a multi launch coaster, but that is an easy guess.

-OR-

A complete long shot- they could blow everyone away with a similar layout to the original Bat.  

• Like 7

5 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Probably another soulless budget B&M generic dive coaster in the next few years. Vortex was always must ride for me when I visited the park. Usually I had to ride it by myself and I came to live everything about it. All her quirks. Old Tex will be missed dearly 

More than likely this. It would be nice to have another innovative coaster put in, like a single rail. 

Something is going there. The space is too big and you don't take something out, if you don't have a plan to replace it with something else. 

• Like 2

A paint job, or lack thereof, has no bearing or telling of a coaster's fate. King Kobra was painted and then removed the following seaon.

I think there's a possibility that a dive coaster or wing coaster could wind up in that area. (I have no insider info nor claim to. Just a guess)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Phantom Theater said:

Cedar Fair, you have a DUTY to honor Vortex like this! Not being too serious, but I would LOVE to see something like this done for Vortex. This is Corkscrew’s corkscrew (lol) at the entrance to Alton Towers, image from rollercoaster.fandom.com

8255C796-B2F1-4099-B957-C0BE55BBC86A.jpeg

I would LOVE to see something like this done with Vortex! He will certainly be missed! Despite its roughness, it remains one my favorite coasters in the park. RIP, ol' boy.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Bennett said:

This quick sendoff makes me think that the ride isn't going to me dismantled, but refurbished with modern cars and modern restraints, and perhaps retracked in a few key areas, and probably renamed.

I don't think they would give a last rides event if they weren't going to take it down. 

• Like 2