Vortex Is Leaving After This Fall Season

THE_BEASTmaster

On 9/27/2019 at 11:24 AM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Something to keep in mind:

Thunder Road was removed in 2015 and Copperhead Strike didn't open until 2019.

Skyrider closed in 2014 and Yukon Striker didn't open until 2019. 

I do hope that something fills The Vortex plot of land sooner rather than later, but I wouldn't get your hopes up since we are getting Orion next year. Also, some people on other forum sites brought up the idea of something like Forbidden Frontier at Cedar Point.

You can’t have people walking down such a large valley like that for a Forbidden Frontier type attraction. I expect us to get a new coaster in 2023 depending on how well this new one performs. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Just to try to get some logic mixed in with the raw emotion right now:

Vortex is over 32 years old, and stressed materials break down with time and repetition. Now I know that older Arrows are still operating, but no one coaster is the same as any other, especially from an age where computers weren't used in design yet. The reason that Universal had to rebuild Hulk and remove Dragons was because the integrity of the track and supports was beginning to fail with 20ish years of near daily operations, and that was with computer assisted design. For a more apples to apples comparison, Vortex significantly outlived SFGAm Shockwave and SFGAdv Great American Scream Machine, plus still has 3 years on SFMM Viper and 4 years on Anaconda.

To combine some thoughts, after removing Firehawk last year, I think KI wasn't exactly sure how much longer Vortex, but had to take a gamble on it. KI wanted to build its giga, and Vortex's land isn't suitable for it. I'm repeating myself here, but I think something came up recently after KI already committed to Orion. That's the only logic I can see that results in two coasters being removed in consecutive years. The timing is very unfortunate, but risk management is a continuous gamble in the business world, and I can't and won't blame KI on the decisions they have made.

• Like 8

Let me put my 2 cents into this. Think about it whenever Ki gets rid of a "Major attractions" they typically put one if not better in its place. I am so sad about this. I really am, i personally love Vortex! Its a great ride. But think we are getting Orion in 2020, this will open this land up for 2022 for Ki's 50th, might not be big but im sure we will get something. I think the land will sit vacant for a year or two then we will start to see something. Thoughts??

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ohio Coaster Boy 19 said:

Let me put my 2 cents into this. Think about it whenever Ki gets rid of a "Major attractions" they typically put one if not better in its place. I am so sad about this. I really am, i personally love Vortex! Its a great ride. But think we are getting Orion in 2020, this will open this land up for 2022 for Ki's 50th, might not be big but im sure we will get something. I think the land will sit vacant for a year or two then we will start to see something. Thoughts??

To me it seems way to early for us to get another coaster that soon after Orion, but considering the timing of Vortex's demise this is the only way I can see it all making sense. If the next ride doesn't come until 2023 then the land sits for a year when Vortex could have operated.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Coaster Critics said:

To me it seems way to early for us to get another coaster that soon after Orion, but considering the timing of Vortex's demise this is the only way I can see it all making sense. If the next ride doesn't come until 2023 then the land sits for a year when Vortex could have operated.

See im trying to wrap my head around that too, but we get stuff typically pretty fast. More than other Cedar Fair parks do and imo thats good! I am super sad to see that thing go. But that will open that land up and Coney Mall is changing for the future. I think we will get something for our 50th, might not be a coaster but we typically get some kind of upgrade each year. (we need a new parking lot) lol 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Coaster Critics said:

But who is to say that Vortex could safely operate for a few more years? Surely not us.

• Like 4

I have had a lot of thoughts about the removal all morning.  Honestly I figured it would be Invertigo leaving.

Vortex was my first looper and will always hold a special place in my heart.  While it does concern me that they would remove coasters two years in a row, I think that the park and the chain has a plan.  While it isn't as popular as it once was it still was a capacity machine and those people have to go somewhere and they may not all be riding Orion.  But while this stings, the future is bright.

• Like 3

Carowinds removed Thunder Road in 2015, the same year Fury 325 was added. 

A water park expansion filled part of the spot then Copperhead Strike filled a another small chuck of Thunder Road’s spot. 

Vortex’s case is different since it isn’t being removed for waterpark. 

I hope KI once again saves the station and reuses it. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, upstop said:

Don’t forget there are two other Arrow coasters in the park. If Vortex (1987) has reached the end of its cycle.... Adventure Express (1991) and The Bat (Top Gun - 1993) are only a few years older. What if....

The idea of this makes me sad. Let’s hope they aren’t on the chopping block too. Feels like we’re on Survivor now 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, pkiknex25 said:

Just to try to get some logic mixed in with the raw emotion right now:

Vortex is over 32 years old, and stressed materials break down with time and repetition. Now I know that older Arrows are still operating, but no one coaster is the same as any other, especially from an age where computers weren't used in design yet. The reason that Universal had to rebuild Hulk and remove Dragons was because the integrity of the track and supports was beginning to fail with 20ish years of near daily operations, and that was with computer assisted design. For a more apples to apples comparison, Vortex significantly outlived SFGAm Shockwave and SFGAdv Great American Scream Machine, plus still has 3 years on SFMM Viper and 4 years on Anaconda.

To combine some thoughts, after removing Firehawk last year, I think KI wasn't exactly sure how much longer Vortex, but had to take a gamble on it. KI wanted to build its giga, and Vortex's land isn't suitable for it. I'm repeating myself here, but I think something came up recently after KI already committed to Orion. That's the only logic I can see that results in two coasters being removed in consecutive years. The timing is very unfortunate, but risk management is a continuous gamble in the business world, and I can't and won't blame KI on the decisions they have made. 

Yeah, I also think it was probably metal fatigue- I don't think replacement parts for Vortex could have been that expensive, and it was still a very high capacity ride. KI probably would have preferred to keep it around at least a few more years to be a low-wait option for guests. But, if the structural integrity was going bad, then this was sadly the only option. Firehawk probably was a parts issue, as Vekoma seems to have stopped supplying parts for their older, less popular ride types as they move onto new ones.

1 minute ago, upstop said:

Don’t forget there are two other Arrow coasters in the park. If Vortex (1987) has reached the end of its cycle.... Adventure Express (1991) and The Bat (Top Gun - 1993) are only a few years older. What if.... 

While I fear for Bat (it has lasted longer than Big Bad Wolf already), I think Adventure Express will be OK- it has a mostly wooden structure, and there are some very very old Mine Trains still in Operation (Cedar Creek Mine Ride turned 50 this year and is still in operation with no signs of going away). I think the fact they are family coasters and thus not as fast or intense as the big loopers helps a lot in this regard.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, upstop said:

Yesterday I would have said it’s not happening because there’s older ones out there but… Canada’s wonderland maintenance team said they were committed to supporting Vortex and that they do welding during the off season (might be recalling this wrong), hopefully our last 2 Arrows have some life left in them. 

• Like 1

Can we vote Cedar Fair out? 
Why would we want that? Look, I get people are bummed about this. Some even upset, but CF would not be removing Vortex without a good reason. I for one, believe this was a tough decision on their part that was very recently made. Otherwise they would have let it operate a couple more seasons til they were ready to announce another new coaster. Two new coasters in back to back seasons isn't entirely impossible, but highly unlikely. I believe maybe something kinda major came up and they had to make a decision, and removing it just made more sense.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I think a big part of their decision is part availability. The state of Ohio requires OEM replacement parts on all coasters.
With Arrow being out of business (and I know for a fact from people that I've spoken with) s&s does not own all the patents that Arrow once held. Thus, OEM parts are scarce. I believe Cedar Fair is probably trying to get the state to amend that law, but until then.

Personally I was upset at the quick announcement for x-flight/Firehawk then I am for Vortex. I really liked X-Flight. I rode it over 25 times for the Discovery channel media shoot when it was at Geauga Lake.  Rode it every visit at either park.  I was bummed on the only day last year during The Haunt hat I could attend and it went down for the day. Vortex, like Invertigo if I didn't ride then on a particular visit, I was okay with that. 

Tomorrow I was planning to head down to Kings Island anyhow so I'll get my final Vortex rides in tomorrow.

• Like 3