Vortex Is Leaving After This Fall Season

THE_BEASTmaster

I am saddened by this news, but also have a sense of hope. Vortex at one time in the past was a headliner but lets be honest, it is what the 6th or 7th best coaster at the park? If and this is a if, Cedar Fair builds another world class ride like there last four coasters. (I am including Orion) Then all of a sudden your depth is that much better. Just think The Beast would then be the 6th best ride in the park. And a park that has The Beast as it's 6th best ride is really, really good park. And not just a regional park but a destination park.

• Like 4

I am saddened by this news, but also have a sense of hope. Vortex at one time in the past was a headliner but lets be honest, it is what the 6th or 7th best coaster at the park? If and this is a if, Cedar Fair builds another world class ride like there last four coasters. (I am including Orion) Then all of a sudden your depth is that much better. Just think The Beast would then be the 6th best ride in the park. And a park that has The Beast as it's 6th best ride is really, really good park. And not just a regional park but a destination park.
The Beast could potentially be the 6th best coaster in the park?.... The Beast is #1 always... Orion is a half-hearted attempt by a pathetically boring company. Orion will either be the worlds tallest and fastest hyper, or we can call it the worlds shortest smallest and slowest giga.
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4

6 minutes ago, ArrowChainLiftNoiseMakesMeHappy said:
13 minutes ago, veritas said:

The Beast could potentially be the 6th best coaster in the park?.... The Beast is #1 always... Orion is a half-hearted attempt by a pathetically boring company. Orion will either be the worlds tallest and fastest hyper, or we can call it the worlds shortest smallest and slowest giga.

That’s not a good way to look at things… it’s a rollercoaster with a 300 ft drop let’s not act like it’s garbage. The Beast maybe your favorite ride in the park but you can’t ignore the fact rides like Diamondback & Orion will be the GP’s go to, it might not be your style but I wouldn’t call a 91 mph 5000+ ft rollercoaster bad.

• Like 8

That’s not a good way to look at things… it’s a rollercoaster with a 300 ft drop let’s not act like it’s garbage. The Beast maybe your favorite ride in the park but you can’t ignore the fact rides like Diamondback & Orion will be the GP’s go to. It’s not a bad ride but let’s not act like Orion is garbage.
You're not wrong. Here's the deal. I'm just ****ed that Cedar Fair let me find out by a push notification that my favorite roller coaster manufacturers most beautiful ride at my favorite park is being demolished. I hate to be that guy but Cedar Point wouldn't be dealing with this, they get to keep corkscrew. And if they took corkscrew down they would probably get some world record smashing coaster. My heart is just heavy ladies and gents. I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to get over the fact that I have such limited time to go see my coaster.
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, ArrowChainLiftNoiseMakesMeHappy said:

You're not wrong. Here's the deal. I'm just ****ed that Cedar Fair let me find out by a push notification that my favorite roller coaster manufacturers most beautiful ride at my favorite park is being demolished. I hate to be that guy but Cedar Point wouldn't be dealing with this, they get to keep corkscrew. And if they took corkscrew down they would probably get some world record smashing coaster. My heart is just heavy ladies and gents. I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to get over the fact that I have such limited time to go see my coaster.

I do agree that the announcement of the closure could have been handled better. We just really don’t know a lot about this removal, we don’t know how long ago they’ve know about this. My heart sunk when I woke up to see a text message with a photo saying Vortex gets removed. It’s tragic that such an iconic ride is meeting its end but at least we have a month to get some closure. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, ArrowChainLiftNoiseMakesMeHappy said:
10 minutes ago, veritas said:

If you want to say The Beast is your favorite I understand, The Racer has a very special place in my heart, it was the 1st major coaster I rode all the way back in 1977. But come on, Orion will most likely be better. Diamondback is better, Mystic is better, Banshee is better. And finally, if a coaster replaces Vortex I have a strong feeling it will be better. This is not a slight on The Beast, it is still an outstanding ride always will be. Just a little further down the list.

• Like 6

So what would a better Vortex removal announcement look like to those of you not satisfied with it (including the context given that Firehawk was just demolished and Orion's announcement)?

EDIT: Edited to hopefully reword it better to not seem like it was a good announcement per the conversation below. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

So what would a 'good' Vortex removal announcement look like to those of you not satisfied with it (including the context given that Firehawk was just demolished and Orion's announcement)?

A good Vortex announcement would have been no announcement at all ;)

A better announcement probably would have been a few weeks earlier, and maybe at least dropping a few hints that a rollercoaster was going to be removed. That would have at least kind of gotten people mentally prepared for the potential of the ride being removed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, veritas said:
If you want to say The Beast is your favorite I understand, The Racer has a very special place in my heart, it was the 1st major coaster I rode all the way back in 1977. But come on, Orion will most likely be better. Diamondback is better, Mystic is better, Banshee is better. And finally, if a coaster replaces Vortex I have a strong feeling it will be better. This is not a slight on The Beast, it is still an outstanding ride always will be. Just a little further down the list.

I just am extremely bored with B&M's. Ill probably give Orion a ride for the experience. Beast is just too legendary as it literally brings coaster fans from everywhere because of its amazingly long ride time, its TWO lift hills, its amazing double helix at the end, its amazing scenary especially at night. I rode Beast last night and its running unexplainably smooth. I can't imagine Orion will bring the same fanbase as Beast, especially given they could just drive a little further south and go ride the King Giga! Or drive a little further north and ride the original giga that was made by a much more exciting manufacturer twenty years ago.

16 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:
A good Vortex announcement would have been no announcement at all 
A better announcement probably would have been a few weeks earlier, and maybe at least dropping a few hints that a rollercoaster was going to be removed. That would have at least kind of gotten people mentally prepared for the potential of the ride being removed.

The only good option they have is ground up RMC T REX, or let Morgan fix Vortex and leave it alone.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ArrowChainLiftNoiseMakesMeHappy said:
9 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:
A good Vortex announcement would have been no announcement at all emoji6.png

The only good option they have is ground up RMC T REX, or let Morgan fix Vortex and leave it alone.

A ground up RMC wood coaster that could possibly give The Voyage a run for it's money. The 1st T-Rex intrigues me, or a Mack double launch that uses the terrain like Helix. Would all be great options. The Wildcard could be a Gerstlauer that takes The Smiler's inversion record away.

• Like 4

A ground up RMC wood coaster that could possibly give The Voyage a run for it's money. The 1st T-Rex intrigues me, or a Mack double launch that uses the terrain like Helix. Would all be great options. The Wildcard could be a Gerstlauer that takes The Smiler's inversion record away.
One could hope. The future of Kings Island literally hangs on how they handle this going forward. It better be groundbreaking like Vortex was.
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, MaestroJr said:

At least we aren’t Michigan’s Adventure with no new ride in 10+ years. ;)

Well we are finally getting a much needed kids area. If this gives MIA a attendance bump we might see some more investments. As for a new coaster I could see a RMC conversion of Wolverine Wildcat or a ground up Gerstlauer Euro Fighter, But I am not holding my breath. All of you that have King's Island as a home park be thankful. Yes losing Vortex sucks but you know that something will replace it. If Cedar Fair took out our Arrow, NOTHING would replace it and we would be down to six coasters. I know that I am blessed to live a reasonable distance from Great America, Cedar Point, Holiday World, Canada's Wonderland and of course Kings Island.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ArrowChainLiftNoiseMakesMeHappy said:
1 hour ago, veritas said:

This is the type of person that gives enthusiasts a bad name.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, silver2005 said:

So what would a 'good' Vortex removal announcement look like to those of you not satisfied with it (including the context given that Firehawk was just demolished and Orion's announcement)?

Wait, are you implying that you think their announcement was fine?

I'm not sure what would be a "good" announcement other than giving us a farewell season. What I can say, however, is that a 6AM push notification is the second-worst way this could possibly be handled. The only worse option would be to announce it after the park has already closed for the year.

• Like 4

Good is in quotes because no one is happy about about any removal in general, but it appears people would have liked a better means of communication from the park on the removal announcement.  Not implying it being fine, as stated in another post in this thread, I don't like it being removed as well.  

It was intended to be asked to see where people are coming from with their criticisms of how the park handled it.

EDIT: I edited the original post to hopefully get across what I was aiming for. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, veritas said:

532ADFAD-995B-4CBE-BB04-8C93D72D7B69.png

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, homestar92 said:

Wait, are you implying that you think their announcement was fine?

I'm not sure what would be a "good" announcement other than giving us a farewell season. What I can say, however, is that a 6AM push notification is the second-worst way this could possibly be handled. The only worse option would be to announce it after the park has already closed for the year.

Just remember, the push notification was how YOU found out. It was released to the media and the blog was posted well before that. I’m not sure if that changes your opinion or not but we have to be clear if we want to analyze the situation. 

I’m not sure if I’ve heard of any park having a farewell season for a ride, except the year round parks. I’m not entirely certain that they were 100% sure it was going to be retired until it was announced. I do know that maintenance has spent the past few years working hard to squeeze a few more safe seasons out of the ride. I think that anyone who is familiar with the park kind of guessed that. With that being said, I’m definitely sad but certainly not angry that it’s going. 

As much as I’d hate to admit it, but Firehawk and Vortex were “a few times per season” kind of rides for me. Firehawk typically had long waits and I wasn’t a fan of having to buy a locker (okay, and I wasn’t a fan of being away from my phone. There, I said it!) And Vortex for the past few years would inherently cause me to have neck pain the next day. Something  in the way it jerked me around, I guess.

Honestly I’d be far more upset if the other candidates: Invertigo, Bat, or Adventure Express were being removed. Those three are rides that I still truly enjoy and ride every day. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Tr0y said:

532ADFAD-995B-4CBE-BB04-8C93D72D7B69.png

http://www.ellocoaster.com/2018-wood-coaster-poll-results

If the manufacturer believes they are wood. And there wood coasters are ranked as wood coasters what more do you want. RMC broke the paradigm of what a wood coaster does, looks and feels. Granted I can understand the doubt. But if RMC's in your opinion doesn't make wood coasters, couldn't the same argument be made with the Intamin prefabs? 

Also I will be getting my last rides on Vortex on the 11th. This maybe the only time I am not looking forward to going to Kings Island.

• Like 1

Intamin Prefabs use laser cut plywood held together with epoxy, (I'm not in construction). 

The train wheels they use are polyurethane to further increase smoothness. They like RMC, have been stripped of all wooden coaster feel.

At least Intamin prefabs have track made of wood unlike all RMCs.

When you think of a "wooden coaster" neither experience comes to mind,(although both systems have resulted in great coasters).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RollerNut said:

Interesting observation....
Next season KI’s oldest steel coaster will be Adventure Express built in 1991....

Oldest wooden coasters Racer and Woodstock Express from 1972....

But weren’t steel coaster supposed to be cheaper to maintain?

The thing about wooden coasters is that if there’s problems with the track it can be easier to replace, steel coasters not so much. Wooden coasters probably need more attention during the off-season (replacing the wood ect) compared to steel coasters but in the long run a wooden coaster could theoretically last forever If you care for it.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, veritas said:

http://www.ellocoaster.com/2018-wood-coaster-poll-results

If the manufacturer believes they are wood. And there wood coasters are ranked as wood coasters what more do you want. RMC broke the paradigm of what a wood coaster does, looks and feels. Granted I can understand the doubt. But if RMC's in your opinion doesn't make wood coasters, couldn't the same argument be made with the Intamin prefabs? 

I am a little confused by the statement that the manufacturer believes they are wood coasters. I have seen a few YouTube videos that Allen says he believes they are steel coasters. However it’s not up to him and it’s up to the amusement park so obviously you don’t want to upset a client and you just go with whatever they say.

I think most enthusiasts agree that it’s one thing to call the topper track a wood coaster but the Ibox is a steel coaster. I also think once the GP gets off any Ibox coaster they think it is a steel coaster or a hybrid. 

21 minutes ago, Hueney020 said:

I am a little confused by the statement that the manufacturer believes they are wood coasters.  

Because the 6 boards that make up the trackbed are wood where as i-box is all metal.

So technically speaking, the majority of the ride is wood. Mystic Timbers has some metal supports but its still a wooden coaster.

DsFeL2wXoAIV-EB.jpg

https://twitter.com/aceonlineorg/status/1063234563948851200?s=20

• Like 4

20 hours ago, ArrowChainLiftNoiseMakesMeHappy said:

Maverick..... Buddy ole pal. I've missed you from the decoding 2020 thread. The loss of Vortex is terrible. I rode it last night and got arguably the best ride I have ever got on it. So that was fun as I clanked up the iconic sounding lift hill and got all the way too emotional.

I am sad I didn't get to ride this season. ugh  totally regretting that!

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

I am sad I didn't get to ride this season. ugh  totally regretting that!

In previous seasons I only rode Vortex once or twice a season but this season I fell in love with the ride (Partially due to the fact it was almost always a walk-on), such a fun ride to marathon imo. Im glad I managed to get 200+ rides on it this season, also kind of sucks I got attached to the ride though; just makes this announcement harder to accept.

• Like 7