Vortex Is Leaving After This Fall Season

THE_BEASTmaster

Something will take the place of Vortex eventually, if not sooner.  The space is too visible to leave empty for too long.

I do hope though that they put some "creativity" into the replacement.  Orion seems like a really tall/fast coaster with no character.  Simple elements to make it unique- go underground through a tunnel, fog tunnel, slip in a loop- something creative.  On the surface it just seems like a taller version of Diamondback.  Like a refresh of a model year for a vehicle... its updated, but it's still a (name your vehicle). 

I like the focus on "experience" over thrills.  Thrills fade over time.  But immersion into an experience keeps a line for an attraction longer.  ie- if Tomb Raider was still there operating in its original format- it would still have lines.  As an generic indoor topspin... it had 10 minute waits.  Gone are the days of 150 minute waits for Diamondback; and soon, so will the 20 minute waits.  Then as time goes on, the 2 hour waits for Orion will be replaced as a newer, taller version with more zing and more pep is built.

• Like 3

Bat was closed in 1983, Vortex opened in 1987. YouTubers have pointed out that Cedar Fair has been on a schedule of 3 years for new coasters starting with Banshee so I think 2023. It sucks to see Vortex go but my guess is by "end of service life" they actually mean "arrow Dynamics no longer exists and parts are expensive and it's not worth the cost as it's not popular anymore.". I think they wanted to axe Firehawk and Vortex but Firehawks Land was more desirable for Orion so they axed it first and then waited till Orion was announced to soften the blow.   Lol I'm not gonna lie I was on the verge of tears all last weekend over the news. It was my first big coaster, with The Beastie or whatever it's called now being the first!

• Like 4

So in terms of GP reaction I have already heard from 2 people all the way in Vegas of their reaction to the closure... And it was confusion and more so unhappy. 

The biggest takeaway I got from this is just how far and wide this particular ride has become public knowledge. it is widely one of the most photographed coasters in the world, at one point I'm sure a photo of this ride has been in one of your physics textbooks. That being said I'm quite unhappy with how the announcement went. An early a.m. tweet and blog post just isn't the way to go. Feels like a break up via text. 

KI I love visiting your park but this was not the way to retire such a legendary ride. it's a shame that you who work for this great part don't share the same enthusiasm. Words of advice, the next arrow you decide to remove make sure you give it a farewell season.

• Like 4

82F2CE70-1B75-492B-BB76-40003F5298BD.thumb.jpeg.e2996c6022ca5f812fe7bfd48f5ab200.jpeg Vortex rode like a champ yesterday, this photo was eerie though. You can barely see the loop in the back. 
Yeah it did, just before closing i rode it in the back row for the first time and was amazed at how good it was.

If it turns out to be my last ride it was a great one!

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I just got my first and last ride on Vortex.... it doesn't deserve the hate it gets (although I can see maybe where it comes from) and it will be missed :(

I feel like in it's own time it's a smooth coaster but it's rough compared to what we're used to from rmc and b&m and whoever else these days. Put it this way I never considered it rough until Diamondback was built lol.

• Like 5

Welcome back!

Say, I think I actually do remember you from awhile back. Cormaster being you're name ( but I don't recall any "stupid" posts, lol! )

As for Terp, no unfortunately he is not still around (on the forum). A couple years ago I believe it was an issue that arose where his employer does not want him having an online presence. But last I've heard about him he's doing well otherwise!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Gone are the days of 150 minute waits for Diamondback; and soon, so will the 20 minute waits.  Then as time goes on, the 2 hour waits for Orion will be replaced as a newer, taller version with more zing and more pep is built.

It still brings in big lines. This summer when I went it took me about an hour to get on Diamondback. The line was even longer later in the day.

• Like 3

On 10/1/2019 at 8:30 PM, SonofBaconator said:

Thoughts? I personally think he has a point

After initially watching this, I thought he had a good point too. But, after thinking about it AND talking to a friend of mine (who used to work at the park), I'm starting to disagree with this a bit. My main disagreement would be about the brakes. My friend that I mentioned was working at Kings Island when Vortex opened and he was on maintenance, so he knows very well the in and outs of Vortex. I told him about the brake theory and he said that it doesn't make sense because when they design brakes on roller coasters, they design them to be used under the worst case conditions. Since he said that with three trains running there would be a little more use than normal, he said it is very unlikely that Vortex is closing simply because of it's brakes.

• Like 5

On 10/5/2019 at 8:35 AM, Ben43065 said:

That’s a nice looking sign, love the use of the classic logo

It’s odd that these seem to have just appeared. I don’t recall seeing them last Saturday when I rode. I also noted today lights have been added to see the “rock memorial” born...died that was there but not lit last weekend. Leads me to believe there was a big of a last minute-ness to this decision as it seems like the “going away party” is being planned at the last minute. 

• Like 2

I think the rails were painted in 2009. I am not sure about the rest though.
It was last Completely repainted in 2001, I got to see it happen as I worked on ride crew that year, they painted it early season when the park was only weekends. It did get the rails repainted in 09.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

A RMC T-Rex replacing Vortex? Bringing back SOB? Heading back into woods to play around dad a little bit?  I know there are several that hate that idea, I love it. That would be a dream come true for me. RMC even said a T-Rex could be 400 to 500 feet tall. I’m not saying that’s what’s going to happen, odds are it won’t, but if it did...:D

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Tr0y said:

I wonder if they’ll bring back the water scenery now with Vortex leaving.

picture credit: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2019/april/the-beast-40-years-of-terror

FFECA3F6-7D47-477E-837A-3868F88B9EFC.png

I did like the pond it its day, but Slaughterhouse now sits where some of this water was.

5 hours ago, fyrfyter said:

Stagnant pool for mosquitoes... no thanks. I think they would also have to completely change and redo the queue. I think part of it now sits where water used to be.

I think the que is the same, it is the exit that has changed.

1 hour ago, WhatTheBlazes said:

I did like the pond it its day, but Slaughterhouse now sits where some of this water was.

I think the que is the same, it is the exit that has changed.

@TOPGUN1993 or @TombraiderTy can correct me if I'm wrong but, I believe behind the exit path fence (where it shifts towards the photo booth), there's a concrete pad where another queue house once stood. 

• Like 5