Vortex Is Leaving After This Fall Season

THE_BEASTmaster

4 minutes ago, Bdd127 said:

I'm really trying to figure out what time they are gonna cut the line off tonight so I can shoot for one of the last trains

Typically the park does not close lines early.  So I would expect it to close at 7 with the park.

If you want to be certain I would be there early and just hang out near the end of the line.

This was the caption to my last Instagram post, but I figured I would post it here as well. 

I have been struggling with what I wanted to say is this post since I found out Vortex was being retired. Vortex has been a large part of my life for the last few years. I’ve been trying to think of a way to describe what it meant to me, but the best I can come up with is that it was a friend. I know what you’re thinking- it’s just a roller coaster, why do you care so much? In 2017, my grandmother passed away. If you know me, I was closer to her than I was with anyone else. Her death was a tremendous loss to me, something that I am still heartbroken over. My trips to Kings Island that summer were one of my ways to cope with that loss. It was over that time that I began to ride Vortex. This ride is something that brought me tremendous joy in some dark times in my life, and for that I will forever be grateful. 

To say that the announcement of its removal was heartbreaking to me would be an understatement. Many of my close friends joke that I like Vortex more than most people- to some extent that might be true. Today was the last day I will be able to experience this ride, which has been more difficult than I thought it would be. This ride set me on a path to pursue engineering and become licensed; so that I may someday be able to have a role is building something that will impact someone in the way I was.
  • Like 13
  • Sad 1

It is touching to hear some of the stories of what Kings Island and its rides mean to everyone. Being a place that allows us to get away from everyday struggles and issues that weight heavily on our hearts.

This is one of the many benefits of KIC and why we run this site. It is a separate medium from social media to be able to share these important stories and know so many others will relate.

• Like 15

I unfortunately couldn't get a last ride in today due to the crazy line, but I did get to look at it multiple times and let me say it'll be strange not having anything in that large plot on the midway and I hope KI and the team at CF think this area through and at least take into consideration how photogenic Vortex was and try to add something just as photogenic. Tbh I was one of the people who hated Vortex, but I will miss seeing it in the park next year. RIP Vortex. 

• Like 5

Le sigh. And it's officially over. Sadly I was unable to come get 1 last ride in on Vortex, things kept getting in the way of visiting the park during Haunt so my final memories of the coaster are from July 13th. At least for the most part, they were good memories: I got kinda beat up on the last ride in 2-2, but I also got some epic rides earlier that were actually quite smooth in 7-1 (complete with ejector air). I have kept track of my rides ever since my first one in 2009 (like many on here, Vortex was my first looping coaster) and I managed to get 23 rides total over a 10 year span- considering I only got to KI once a year until recently and even missed a few years, 2.3 rides per year average isn't too bad I'd say.

While I am excited for Orion, I am gonna miss Vortex- unlike Firehawk, which I only rode 4 times because the line was almost always too long, Vortex was a staple on many of my Kings Island visits: with short wait times, it was my go-to coaster for crowded days or if I just wanted to kill a bit of time (say if I wanted to do a Beast night ride and it wasn't 100% dark yet).

Whatever replaces Vortex (I expect 2023-2025 range to be when this happens) is gonna have some big shoes to fill. Then again, Vortex itself replaced The Bat, one of the most famous defunct coasters ever created. Hopefully KI can pull off the hat trick, and the 3rd coaster (I do think a coaster will go in Vortex's spot- it is very uneven and thus would not really work flat rides and stuff) to occupy that plot is as epic as Vortex must have been when it opened in 1987.

• Like 10

I got 28 rides this weekend, including 5 today and 13 in a row last night. Going up the lift in what I knew would be my last ride in seat 7-1 was surreal.

The park was packed today, but Vortex's send-off deserved a large crowd. It was great seeing so many familiar faces, old and new, turning out for a last ride. Vortex's original 1987 crew gathered at the park for the last day, and the final public train was reserved for them.

I was much sadder at the end than I thought I would be. Vortex was a very special ride and a quintessential part of what made the Kings Island of my memories Kings Island. The future is bright, but today is truly the end of an era.

IMG_20191027_195043.jpg

• Like 19

Vortex was also my first looping coaster way back in 1987. I have no idea how many times I've rode it, but it has to have been thousands of times. I'll have so many memories that I'll cherish for the rest if my life. I'll miss it. 42f1defe98f3564844d31a9b672c261a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 16

It is going to take a while to get use to the absence of Vortex's looming structure. I'm not terribly sad that is leaving, but I will definitely miss seeing it at the park. 

20191027_160022.jpg

20191027_150303.jpg

20191027_150256.jpg

20191027_161201.jpg

20191027_173434.jpg

I thought it was only right to ride in the very back row (far side) for my last ride. It was one heck of a ride. Made some great memories riding this with several different people, and I'm gonna miss it.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Purely nostalgic atmosphere at Kings Island today. Despite Orion's imposing progress, the talk of the park was getting that last ride on Vortex and the lines proved it. Every train came back cheering louder than I've ever heard.

I savored my final ride around 6:30. Vortex will be missed.

• Like 10

I took my last ride last night with a friend I'd known since Middle School. We got Row 11 and it was actually a great last ride (unlike my second to last ride last weekend). Once in the seats, I actually got more emotional than I expected. It was really cool to see so many familiar faces in line including a few coaster enthusiasts I know, Don, one of the Scareactors from Wolf Pack, and of course the original crew (I shook each one of their hands before ascending the stairs). I think what made it perfect was that Billy and I actually rode Shake, Rattle and Roll first on an impulse, which turned out the be the right decision as Vortex and SRR were grouped together for at least many years (you know how I like my nostalgia) and that made it a fitting tribute.

It's been a fun 33 years and you will be missed by many, RIP Vortex!

• Like 6

I went later in the day yesterday having a feeling that the park would be a madhouse with a combination of nice weather, season pass renewal perks and of course the final day to say goodbye to an icon. The amount of cars parked in the lot, foot traffic and the LINE for Vortex sent a clear message that this ride wasn’t just another structure existing, but something that held great significance to many. I saw so many parents with their children talking about their first ride memories. It was bittersweet to know that these kids would get to ride it with their parents, but won’t get the same experience of passing down the memories to their own kids. 

I came down from Indy knowing that my only ride may end up being Vortex. That turned out to be true. But I had a nice drive out there and got a ton of meaningful pictures thanks to my girlfriend. She also took a video clip of me riding in the front seat ( my favorite spot on there ) getting dispatched for the last time. I gotta say that was one of the best rides I’ve had on it. 

All of that alone was worth it to me.

Now I will say I do hope maybe they’ll do some kind of limited sale of pieces from Vortex like they did with SoB. Or even something with those sweet banners. 

• Like 9

Vortex was always seen as a rite of passage ride when I was a kid. I was only 8 when it came to the park, and it loomed large for so much of my young adulthood. I remember being terrified the first few times I rode it, scared to death I was going to fly out on the barrel rolls. Even as an adult, it was the one ride in the park that felt wild and kind of dangerous -- it was rough, it threw you out of your seat, it banged you around. I started taking some years off of it on annual trips as I got older, because it became a bit too much on my old frame to be slammed around. This summer, on our annual trip, my nephew wanted to ride it so I went with him, not knowing it was going to be my last ride. And it was a good ride. 

My son just hit 48 inches this year and he's still a little apprehensive of the bigger coasters; he likes Adventure Express and Backlot Stunt Coaster, but Mystic Timbers was a bit much for him. I can't wait until he finally works up the nerve to try The Racer of The Beast. And The Vortex was always going to be that proud moment where I saw him conquer his fears; he'll have to try a new ride for that. And sadly, even if he decides he wants to go upside down, he'll have to wait, as the park's only looper with a 48-inch height limit is now closed. 

I'm torn about whether I want them to tear the ride down this winter. On the one hand, I hate the thought of the once-mighty Vortex being SBNO for a season or two, rotting in plain sight. On the other hand, the back section of the park is going to look awfully empty without that orange-and-blue track winding its way over the trees (I don't even think Orion is going to be able to offer such beautiful views). 

• Like 4