Vortex Is Leaving After This Fall Season

THE_BEASTmaster

13 minutes ago, Sixflags82 said:

Me @VortexBFForever and a couple of other members of the last Vortex crew got to have the last public train with the original Vortex crew!

As much as it was a sad event, I felt a lot of good came from that night.  I myself got to throw Vortex stories around with a lot of different people and stuff like this is the best of it.  I'm glad a lot of people left last night on a high note given what it was, at least that's how I walked away thinking about that day.  I know the park took some flak from enthusiasts regarding the timing, but given what they had to work with, I think the park did a great job.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I spoke to Don yesterday at the park. He said that Vortex will start coming down this winter, if not sooner. 

Dang really wished it’d stand SBNO, that area of the park already looks very meh with backlot, Vortex’s removal isn’t going to help. Did he comment about the stations fate?

(Edit- Anyone have any idea if they’ll spare all the trees around the hill turn thingy before the loops) 

20 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

Dang really wished it’d stand SBNO, that area of the park already looks very meh with backlot, Vortex’s removal isn’t going to help. Did he comment about the stations fate?

When I talked to chad yesterday he said the park hasn’t made an official announcement yet and added that it would be nice to keep it 

• Like 2

I know many including myself attest to the back being the better part of the train to ride it because of that killer air on the first drop, but I was also fond of the front seat, not just because it was the front, but the way the nose is shaped in the front meant it really had a nice breeze to it no matter what time of day/year.  It also had the most leg room of any seat as well to boot. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I spoke to Don yesterday at the park. He said that Vortex will start coming down this winter, if not sooner. 

It will be dismantled after Orion's assembly is complete.  Its my understanding the company assembling Orion was awarded the bid to both assemble the new coaster, and to deconstruct Vortex.

• Like 11

It will be dismantled after Orion is complete.  Its my understanding the company assembling Orion was awarded the bid to assemble the new coaster, and to deconstruct Vortex.

That would make sense as it would probably cost considerably less since they already have equipment and personnel on site.

Wonder what happens to the trains? Will we see them elsewhere?
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, fyrfyter said:

That would make sense as it would probably cost considerably less since they already have equipment and personnel on site.

Wonder what happens to the trains? Will we see them elsewhere?

It would be my prediction (and wish) that at least one of the lead cars - and possibly the sign - will be donated to the National Roller Coaster Museum in Texas.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sixflags82 said:

When I talked to chad yesterday he said the park hasn’t made an official announcement yet and added that it would be nice to keep it 

Although I love the station - and hope they keep it in some capacity for historical sake - I forsee it meeting its maker or being completely overhauled.  The portions of it housing the queue have been re-painted so many times that, frankly, it looks terrible.  Also, its a "grandfathered" queue width and not handicap accessible - that probably wouldnt fly for a new coaster install.

My hope is that, if they install another coaster, they will rebuild it using elements (specifically the turrets/belfies) to serve as a nod to its past. 

Much like how the station for the new Antique Autos incorporated a LOT of subtle nods to the original Les Taxis station - most probably havent even noticed them.  But whomever oversaw the AA station is to be commended on the easter eggs they threw into the carpentry.  (Here's one example - they matched the ceiling to the original ceiling design of the original buildings on Coney Mall... wooden panels who's seams are covered by 1x trim and painted white.  Pay attention next time - it matches Racer's station ceiling exactly.)

Racer Station.jpg

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Although I love the station - and hope they keep it in some capacity for historical sake - I forsee it meeting its maker or being completely overhauled.  The portions of it housing the queue have been re-painted so many times that, frankly, it looks terrible.

My hope is that, if they install another coaster - they will rebuild it using elements - specifically the turrets/belfies - to serve as a nod to its past. 

Much like how the station for the new Antique Autos incorporated a LOT of subtle nods to the original Les Taxis station - most probably havent even noticed them.  But whomever oversaw the AA station is to be commended on the easter eggs they threw into the carpentry.  (Here's one example - they matched the ceiling to the original ceiling design of the original buildings on Coney Mall... wooden panels who's seams are covered by 1x trim and painted white.  Pay attention next time - it matches Racer's station ceiling exactly.)

I deleted the photo out of the quote for cleanliness, hopefully you don't mind.

I would be very surprised if KI wasn't using Vortex's station for a Haunt next year.  It's big enough and I think there is potential that they could have an indoor and outdoor portion in that area, with it being so large.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben43065 said:

(Edit- Anyone have any idea if they’ll spare all the trees around the hill turn thingy before the loops) 

No, we did not discuss the station.

Was lucky enough to ride this rusty beauty one last time in June. Very happy I was able to get another ride in when I did. Truthfully, while seeing Vortex go did hurt me, I am at least glad that it wasn't one of the other Arrow coasters in the park. Adventure Express holds a special place in my heart. I'm gonna miss Vortex.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, OU doesn't allow freshmen to bring cars to campus so I wasn't able to make it to the park for a final ride. In the past few years it's been pretty rough for me, but Vortex used to be my favorite ride. I fondly remember going with one of my best friends and riding it 6 times during the day because she wasn't tall enough for most of the other rides. So sad I only rode it once over the summer. I'm going to miss Vortex a lot. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, aelphaba said:

Unfortunately, OU doesn't allow freshmen to bring cars to campus so I wasn't able to make it to the park for a final ride. In the past few years it's been pretty rough for me, but Vortex used to be my favorite ride. I fondly remember going with one of my best friends and riding it 6 times during the day because she wasn't tall enough for most of the other rides. So sad I only rode it once over the summer. I'm going to miss Vortex a lot. 

Same boat as me. To be honest, I think it's almost better in a way that I got to ride it before they announced it was closing. Makes the last memories on it a lot less somber. Know what I mean?

7 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Although I love the station - and hope they keep it in some capacity for historical sake - I forsee it meeting its maker or being completely overhauled.  The portions of it housing the queue have been re-painted so many times that, frankly, it looks terrible.  Also, its a "grandfathered" queue width and not handicap accessible - that probably wouldnt fly for a new coaster install.

I'd love to see the station reused for some future coaster. The handicap accessibility issue did cross my mind.

I don't know how the rules would apply in this case. I remember they had to widen the Shake Rattle and Roll line, on the other hand Cedar Point re-used the White Water Landing line and station for Maverick.

7 minutes ago, KI Guy said:

I'd love to see the station reused for some future coaster. The handicap accessibility issue did cross my mind.

I don't know how the rules would apply in this case. I remember they had to widen the Shake Rattle and Roll line, on the other hand Cedar Point re-used the White Water Landing line and station for Maverick.

Perhaps they can turn it into that new bathroom expansion we've been promised for years.

• Like 1

A little sad moment while updating the website.

Vortex is no longer on the Rides page.

https://kicentral.com/rides/

But is now on the past attractions page.

https://kicentral.com/past-attractions/

Visit the Vortex page to see the closing day pics. It is the last gallery on the page.

https://kicentral.com/past-attractions/

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, fyrfyter said:

33 years of Cincinnati weather... sounds about right.

Yeah, he actually mentioned that. Between the fact that it was one of the biggest arrow loopers so it had more strain and the weather conditions it makes sense. He said they started thinking the end was near in 2012, but kept getting lucky until now. It could have gone at any time, even at the same time as Firehawk. And they really didn't know Vortex was going to close until after labor day. Otherwise everyone would have been given a more advanced notice. 

• Like 5

Just now, Bdd127 said:

Yeah, he actually mentioned that. Between the fact that it was one of the biggest arrow loopers so it had more strain and the weather conditions it makes sense. He said they started thinking the end was near in 2012, but kept getting lucky until now. It could have gone at any time, even at the same time as Firehawk. And they really didn't know Vortex was going to close until after labor day. Otherwise everyone would have been given a more advanced notice. 

It really does make you appreciate the management at Cedar Fair to hear stuff like this. They know some of us care leaps and bounds more about those rides than most people do.

• Like 6