Jump to content

Vortex Is Leaving After This Fall Season


Recommended Posts

I think someone with "earned credibility" is someone who has proven their knowledge and resources regarding the park/industry as a whole. 
Brown actually did quote Shaggy's post when he made the viagra joke. I myself missed it. Looks like others did, as well. 


I don’t believe that covers everything.

If they want a change, it’s time to clarify and update the TOS.
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know a lot of people are waiting for my take on this...I'm so shocked. I knew I would have to say goodbye to Vortex at some point, yet this is still sooner than I expected. Vortex has a sp

Cedar Fair, you have a DUTY to honor Vortex like this! Not being too serious, but I would LOVE to see something like this done for Vortex. This is Corkscrew’s corkscrew (lol) at the entrance to Alton

Posted Images

I can quite literally remember standing in front of The Vortex future site staring into the abyss of trees and weeds where they'd placed a plaque announcing Vortex. Huge drop "at the time" and six inversions. 1986...I was 11. Makes me wonder what kids are looking up at Orion being built right now in awe...and who might also see it pass after riding it with their children 30+ years from now. I don't know what kind of ride 2052 will bring, but I bet it'll be crazy!

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

I can quite literally remember standing in front of The Vortex future site staring into the abyss of trees and weeds where they'd placed a plaque announcing Vortex. Huge drop "at the time" and six inversions. 1986...I was 11. Makes me wonder what kids are looking up at Orion being built right now in awe...and who might also see it pass after riding it with their children 30+ years from now. I don't know what kind of ride 2052 will bring, but I bet it'll be crazy!

Ditto, I was around the same age when I took my first ride. I remember standing in line and kept thinking to myself, "WTF am I getting ready to get myself into and getting ready to ride!!" I had very sweaty palms that time

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It really doesn't matter to me who is taking it down, it's going to happen. The biggest conflict I see with these discussions is people stating that Sky High made a deal on construction of Orion and removal of Vortex. If that is true, you are saying that the park knew that Vortex would be coming down at the end of this season a long time before it was announced. With that being said maybe they worked out a deal with Sky High since they were here. I think Vortex removal caught everyone of guard.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Enchanted Voyage Lover said:

With that being said maybe they worked out a deal with Sky High since they were here. 

I feel like that is the most likely case. Two birds with the same stone. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

One of things that needs to return on KIC is giving credibility to those that have earned it. Moderators and Admin should not be questioned about a source when giving a statement from the park. Members like @Shaggy who has been on KIC as long as it has existed and has proven his credibility should be trusted. I feel everyone on KIC can interpret who has earned credibility.

Also, throwing the TOS out there every 5 min does not give a welcoming tone for KIC. If you feel there is an issue with someones statement, examine the source and report it if it seems off.

To add to this, there are several tools on the forums which allows you to look up post history- the search engine on the forum as well as looking up individual members' post history.  The later is under every members' profile page under the button to the right just under the cover photo labeled 'See their activity'.   And the post history covers everything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2019 at 9:19 AM, silver2005 said:

To add to this, there are several tools on the forums which allows you to look up post history- the search engine on the forum as well as looking up individual members' post history.  The later is under every members' profile page under the button to the right just under the cover photo labeled 'See their activity'.   And the post history covers everything. 

To play devils advocate, I sometimes feel this gives off a "talking down to the "others""  vibe that I feel is oftentimes common on this site. I do not rate your knowledge or credibility based on an online forum about Kings Island. I do respect you and the mods, but I think that is a dangerous path to take in regards to how to deal with the credibility issues.

I do not consider myself someone with "elite credibility" on this site, but I do know my post count or connections to people on this site do not adequately represent my life success and trustability when it comes to knowledge. I feel like that is a very dangerous path to go down when it comes to who needs to provide a source. I do not think mods need to provide a source, especially when it is a statement from the park, but other than that, I am weary. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2019 at 10:41 PM, bjcolglazier said:

I can quite literally remember standing in front of The Vortex future site staring into the abyss of trees and weeds where they'd placed a plaque announcing Vortex. Huge drop "at the time" and six inversions. 1986...I was 11. Makes me wonder what kids are looking up at Orion being built right now in awe...and who might also see it pass after riding it with their children 30+ years from now. I don't know what kind of ride 2052 will bring, but I bet it'll be crazy!

I don't know that coasters will get much taller. You actually have a lack of extra money with upcoming generation and they tend not to spend what money they do have on theme parks. That and the price of steel keeps going up and up.  I believe most financial analysts are saying that GenX will be the first generation ever to have it worse than the previous generation. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, KI FANATIC 37 said:

I do not consider myself someone with "elite credibility" on this site...

Normally I would dispute this...but after researching your posting history I guess I have no choice but to believe you. :rolleyes:

(Sorry IndyGuy, I couldn’t resist.)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I don't know that coasters will get much taller. You actually have a lack of extra money with upcoming generation and they tend not to spend what money they do have on theme parks. That and the price of steel keeps going up and up.  I believe most financial analysts are saying that GenX will be the first generation ever to have it worse than the previous generation. 

Sounds like the future of roller coasters is...drumroll....wooden ones!?  I like this.   Steel...keep on going up baby!  Not sure if coasters will get a whole lot bigger either....maybe 400' sometime?.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2019 at 3:18 PM, flightoffear1996 said:

I don't know that coasters will get much taller. You actually have a lack of extra money with upcoming generation and they tend not to spend what money they do have on theme parks. That and the price of steel keeps going up and up.  I believe most financial analysts are saying that GenX will be the first generation ever to have it worse than the previous generation. 

I'm okay with that. Height is overrated. I like a good drop like anyone else, but other than bragging rights, I'm not sure there's much else to height other than "oh, thinks look a little smaller from up here." Millennium Force is plenty tall at 300 feet; Top Thrill Dragster is a lot of fun, but I don't know that I can really tell a difference between 300 and 400 feet. 

Rather, I think innovation is what coaster manufacturers should be focusing on. New ways to get speed, new features to make us scream. That's what I'm curious about. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't mind seeing the batwing element just left in place where it is and freshly painted. Right on the midway, they could even put up an info board/sign about Vortex where the photo spot sign is now. I mean, what else would fit in that little area for it to be in the way of future development?

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I took pictures of it on the website during its last day of operation.

1E2F981A-45BC-40E4-97BA-C1ED78B6381F.png

4FBF7C8A-4B7F-4332-8DAA-A21347FFF39D.png

There’s a website called web archive that saves full websites periodically... 

Kings Island’s website has been saved 2,234 2,234 different times since 2007... you can even go visit the old paramount site pki.com

23AC99A6-308D-43C6-AE51-4249A15D1359.png

B51AB7CF-B450-4E31-BF76-EE5C69539957.png

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PKIDelirium said:

I wouldn't mind seeing the batwing element just left in place where it is and freshly painted. Right on the midway, they could even put up an info board/sign about Vortex where the photo spot sign is now. I mean, what else would fit in that little area for it to be in the way of future development?

I would love to see something like that. 

For the park's 50th anniversary, I'd love it if, instead of a ride, they put together some really nice exhibits throughout the park about KI history. Artifacts and photos from old rides, videos and commercials where possible. Maybe do something like that in Tower Gardens or clear out space for a museum. Or, perhaps better, just all around the park, maybe with commemorative plaques where the old rides once stood. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, pkiridesmaint said:

There’s a website called web archive that saves full websites periodically... 

Kings Island’s website has been saved 2,234 2,234 different times since 2007... you can even go visit the old paramount site pki.com

23AC99A6-308D-43C6-AE51-4249A15D1359.png

B51AB7CF-B450-4E31-BF76-EE5C69539957.png

Glad I wasn't the only one to snap it on the web archive. That being said, being a web designer in 2002 was cake.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cdubbs727 said:

I would love to see something like that. 

For the park's 50th anniversary, I'd love it if, instead of a ride, they put together some really nice exhibits throughout the park about KI history. Artifacts and photos from old rides, videos and commercials where possible. Maybe do something like that in Tower Gardens or clear out space for a museum. Or, perhaps better, just all around the park, maybe with commemorative plaques where the old rides once stood. 

I actually think The Vortex station, with the open sides closed in and the dividing wall between the main part and the storage shed removed, could make a good park museum. Put the doors where the exit is, and keep the entrance stairs area as an overlook. They could keep a piece of the storage track siding right there where it's next to a Bat footer.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rlentless said:

Here's a new concept ride from S&S called an Axis.  Looks fun but maybe alot of downtime.

 

I'd really love to see s&s or rmc ressurect the old arrow track. Considering what was done with Tennessee Tornado and the technology advancements in the past 20 years it would be awesome to see what could be done with the classic Arrow trains and track. I know it's a pipe dream, but one can dream. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...