Jump to content
THE_BEASTmaster

Vortex Is Leaving After This Fall Season

Recommended Posts

Shawn,

Tennessee Tornado was not “redone”... rather it was built from the ground up with a more modern track design and smoother transitions, and I believe better trains, than previous Arrow designs (like Vortex).

I’ve ridden Tennessee Tornado on 2 occasions. Both times I was impressed by the smoothness and the great (albeit short) ride. 
 

If Vortex was designed and (re)built in the same manner, I believe it would be outstanding. 


 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shawn,
Tennessee Tornado was not “redone”... rather it was built from the ground up with a more modern track design and smoother transitions, and I believe better trains, than previous Arrow designs (like Vortex).
I’ve ridden Tennessee Tornado on 2 occasions. Both times I was impressed by the smoothness and the great (albeit short) ride. 
 
If Vortex was designed and (re)built in the same manner, I believe it would be outstanding. 

 
 
 
 
 

It was also designed by Alan Schilke and we all know what he has done with RMC :P Also I totally agree. Makes me wish that more of the arrow loopers were designed that way...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Buckeye Brad said:

Tennessee Tornado was not “redone”... rather it was built from the ground up with a more modern track design and smoother transitions, and I believe better trains, than previous Arrow designs (like Vortex).

Unless there are under-the-hood differences in the trains such as different wheels or differences in the way they articulate, they are the same style trains as Vortex. Same body, seat, and OTSR design at least. I kinda doubt there are differences at all though. There's really nothing inferior with Arrow's looper train design when compared to anything else that existed when they were in business. The headbanging reputation that Arrows have is more due to Ron Toomer's design philosophy than the trains. In fact, having ridden Tennessee Tornado and Phantom's Revenge, I would say that their trains are among the most comfortable out there (excluding vest restraints which are an obvious improvement) when a modern track design is used. Tennessee Tornado is less headbangy than many B&Ms with the old restraints and definitely less so than most Vekomas.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, homestar92 said:

Unless there are under-the-hood differences in the trains such as different wheels or differences in the way they articulate, they are the same style trains as Vortex. Same body, seat, and OTSR design at least. I kinda doubt there are differences at all though. There's really nothing inferior with Arrow's looper train design when compared to anything else that existed when they were in business. The headbanging reputation that Arrows have is more due to Ron Toomer's design philosophy than the trains. In fact, having ridden Tennessee Tornado and Phantom's Revenge, I would say that their trains are among the most comfortable out there (excluding vest restraints which are an obvious improvement) when a modern track design is used. Tennessee Tornado is less headbangy than many B&Ms with the old restraints and definitely less so than most Vekomas.

Tennessee Tornado's trains are different from a "standard" Arrow train- at first glance they look very similar, but the wheels are much larger thus the bogies are different. They allow for more range of motion (while still having the side friction wheels on the inside of the rails). Right around when Arrow Development became Arrow Huss, the trains went through some changes- most notably in the train bodies themselves (Couldn't tell you the year). Corkscrew at CP would be an example of a 1st gen Arrow train- much tighter restraints and the fiberglass car bodies are not as wide. Vortex would be a Gen 2 Arrow train, where Tennessee Tornado would be Gen 3. I am sure someone knows more about this than I do. 

You can also see how on TT's cross ties the way they are formed and welded to the rails is different- it is a single curved piece of steel that is welded to the rail, versus the old design of (what appears to be) an HSS cut and welded to shape. I would imagine with Alan Schilke's philosophy of cutting everything possible on a CNC table, that these cross ties would be far more precise than the guess-and-check of the old Arrow design. Computer-driven hydraulic roll benders can precisely bend the steel rails to exactly the right radius- in multiple axes. It is truly amazing what Arrow was able to do without the technology we have today. 

The trains on Phantom's Revenge are actually the same chassis as they were on Steel Phantom- Morgan just swapped out the bodies and restraints. It looks like they may have also made the wheels larger to handle the additional speed. 

DW-2004-TT-leaving-station.jpg

vs, 

DqsgM7TWwAMP0kr.jpg

vs,

012519010.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the larger wheels were added when Shockwave came around in 88 and they were used after that. Around that time also came the larger headrests. It is interesting though that Shockwave used the larger headrests along with Viper, while the Great American Scream Machine did not. I find them rather ugly with the extended headrest and I wish they had been kept off the new train bodies on LNM. So in a sense there were 2 body styles for the trains. The first ran til around I believe 82ish maybe a few years off. After that the bodies remained the same til the end. The larger wheels were designated for the bigger, faster loopers and came about in 88. The extended headrests made their debut in 88 with Shockwave too. Rides like Anaconda built in the 90s were unique in that they still used the small wheels and no extended headrests, most likely due to the smaller size. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, WindingSon said:

Taken from Reddit. The trains saying goodbye before they go wherever they’re going. 

46A9C198-0564-4DA4-AA5F-B5C7EFF36EA9.jpeg

I feel like they could go to Anaconda to support its final years

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WindingSon said:

Taken from Reddit. The trains saying goodbye before they go wherever they’re going. 

46A9C198-0564-4DA4-AA5F-B5C7EFF36EA9.jpeg

If we weren't getting Orion next year I'd be so ****ed at this closing. It's going to be a pretty nice view of the woods when this is demolished though, so that's a bright spot.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LintemuthStudios said:

If we weren't getting Orion next year I'd be so ****ed at this closing. It's going to be a pretty nice view of the woods when this is demolished though, so that's a bright spot.

Yeah you might be able to see The Beast more easily now, unless if the trees have grown taller now.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may be way off base here, but I just don't see Vortex going away?? Well maybe the name, track and trains. The announcement that Vortex was closing for good, reminds me what Cedar Point did 3yrs ago when it was announced Mean Streak was getting the Axe and closing for good. Not using the words "being torn down". The same thing has happened to Vortex, and I can see it being the 1st All Steel Coaster to get an RMC Makeover with the remaining structure being outfitted with the 1st T-Rex Raptor Track and Trains where the passengers sit side by side with RMC Trains restraints found on Steel Vengeance etc. I think the current layout of Vortex, some of it could also get re-profiled especially the quick 180 U turn into the mid-course brake into the corkscrew. As mention, I maybe way off base on this subject, but we all have quickly learned the Great magic RMC can do. 

 

On 11/5/2019 at 7:41 PM, TheFloppyDisc said:


It was also designed by Alan Schilke and we all know what he has done with RMC :P Also I totally agree. Makes me wish that more of the arrow loopers were designed that way...


Sent from my iPhone

I see Alan Schilke and the RMC Crew heading to Kings Island, and making Vortex the very 1st all Steel Coaster getting an RMC makeover. T-Rex Raptor Track and Trains. RMC hasn't built that kind of model yet. Also it will save Cedar Fair A lot of money instead of building a new coaster from ground up. Orion I think has a price tag of 35 Million.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something has been on my mind lately re: Vortex...

Since Vortex was built in 1987, I always thought of it as an 80's coaster (as in, oh, that was built in the 80's, as in a long time ago)... actually, it existed more years in the 90's than in the 80's. I often overlook this and I guess it makes me appreciate it even more; that in the 90's it was still a relatively new coaster (1997 was the 10th anniversary) and has always been a good standby coaster through the years.

On a similar track (pun intended), this also concerns me re: The Bat's future as is was built only a few years after Vortex (1993)... :(

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MDMC01 said:

Something has been on my mind lately re: Vortex...

Since Vortex was built in 1987, I always thought of it as an 80's coaster (as in, oh, that was built in the 80's, as in a long time ago)... actually, it existed more years in the 90's than in the 80's. I often overlook this and I guess it makes me appreciate it even more; that in the 90's it was still a relatively new coaster (1997 was the 10th anniversary) and has always been a good standby coaster through the years.

On a similar track (pun intended), this also concerns me re: The Bat's future as is was built only a few years after Vortex (1993)... :(

Just think though, Vortex at Canada's Wonderland is essentially a clone of The Bat and it's older (1987). So while I can't be certain, as long as it is around I'd say The Bat is safe. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

Something has been on my mind lately re: Vortex...

Since Vortex was built in 1987, I always thought of it as an 80's coaster (as in, oh, that was built in the 80's, as in a long time ago)... actually, it existed more years in the 90's than in the 80's. I often overlook this and I guess it makes me appreciate it even more; that in the 90's it was still a relatively new coaster (1997 was the 10th anniversary) and has always been a good standby coaster through the years.

On a similar track (pun intended), this also concerns me re: The Bat's future as is was built only a few years after Vortex (1993)... :(

I was born in 87 and makes me feel super old 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I was born in 87 and makes me feel super old 

I was born in 73 and makes me feel super old

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...