Jump to content
Klabergian Empire

Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex

Recommended Posts

With the removal of Vortex, what do we think will replace it?

 

I am currently working on a few logistics and will post soon...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is what I'm working with:

Total land area I see for development: about 9.1 acres

Pic:     Site I used for this image and to calculate the land area: https://www.mapdevelopers.com/area_finder.php

Screenshot 2019-09-27 at 8.18.57 AM.png

 

Personally, I see three options with this land:

1. An expansion of Rivertown with paths from either in front of The Beast or behind Rivertown Pizza. I see with this the addition of a few flat rides.

2. An expansion of Coney Mall. As unlikely as I think this is, it is still possible that we could see a third expansion of the mall.

3. The addition of a new roller coaster. As for the kind of coaster, I am split. I think a new roller coaster styled just like Vortex. The only issue being it seems kinda dumb to tear down a ride just to build something like it. I don't believe B&M will have one of their own there considering Orion. So, I see either an RMC or an Intamin. 

So, those are my thoughts.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah the layout is perfect for a dive, hopefully this is the case as tearing down a coaster to replace it with flats in my opinion is a slap in the face. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see an RMC like RailBlazer (a record holder in length and inversions styled like Vortex) or our own Maverick. But I think they are going to use the space for a better layout of walking paths/ flat rides.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What ever they build I hope they plant trees (Which I doubt they will), with the eyesore that is backlot I hope what ever new ride they build looks nice. Coney mall needs some love.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a little part of me that remembers @bkroz's re-imagining of Kings Island and kinda wants to see a Zamperla Moto Coaster with cars themed to horses or something like Verbolten (but with a unique theme) in that area. Especially if they used the area outlined by @Klabergian Empire and even maybe put Action Theater out of its misery in the process.

I just really hope it's something unique and family-oriented and maybe a little terrain-y. I'm a little weary of the big coaster cycle (I like B&M, but I'm getting a little tired of Cedar Fair's dependence on them), and we're losing something with a 48" height restriction. Not to mention that Valravn is only 3 years old, so it'd be a little surprising to see a dive coaster show up at KI that soon since a lot of KI's customer base seems to be aware of CP's existence.

Complete pipe dream incoming: it'd be even cooler if that was where a dark ride was put in and the exterior was themed to a carnival sideshow of sorts. Or something thematically appropriate for an amusement park from yesterday. Or even a reimagining of Coney Island's Lost River. Or literally anything besides another -est-iest B&M, haha.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

There's a little part of me that remembers @bkroz's re-imagining of Kings Island and kinda wants to see a Zamperla Moto Coaster with cars themed to horses or something like Verbolten (but with a unique theme) in that area. Especially if they used the area outlined by @Klabergian Empire and even maybe put Action Theater out of its misery in the process.

I just really hope it's something unique and family-oriented and maybe a little terrain-y. I'm a little weary of the big coaster cycle (I like B&M, but I'm getting a little tired of Cedar Fair's dependence on them), and we're losing something with a 48" height restriction. Not to mention that Valravn is only 3 years old, so it'd be a little surprising to see a dive coaster show up at KI that soon since a lot of KI's customer base seems to be aware of CP's existence.

Complete pipe dream incoming: it'd be even cooler if that was where a dark ride was put in and the exterior was themed to a carnival sideshow of sorts. Or something thematically appropriate for an amusement park from yesterday. Or even a reimagining of Coney Island's Lost River. Or literally anything besides another -est-iest B&M, haha.

I love B&M, but I completely agree. I would love to see something "different," like you suggested. This removal opens up a lot of land, which is great for the future.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We know I my love but I am not going to say bring in a coaster by them. All I am saying it would be nice to not have another B&M for a while. They make great coasters. I am just ready for something big by someone else. A Blitz coaster or air launched coaster by S&S. Anything by RMC.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I don't think we'll be getting a coaster in 2021, but I could see something big replacing it sooner rather than later. 2022 at the earliest. The reason why I say sooner is because I think having nothing there will be a major eyesore so I'm sure Kings Island will want to fill that gap as soon as possible. My thoughts are that they won't start tearing it down until after Orion is completed or close to completed. So they might be tearing it down during parts of the beginning of the season. Here is a good timeline prediction if a coaster is coming in 2022 which I don't think is super likely:

Winter/spring of 2020: Orion is completed and they start removing Vortex. Orion opens to rave reviews in April.

Late Summer/Early fall 2020: mysterious markers start showing up around The Vortex plot of land

Spring 2021: Land clearing begins in the former Vortex plot of land

Late Spring/early summer 2021: footers start being poured

Summer 2021: Kings Island starts a teaser campaign:

August 2021: Kings Island holds a big announcement event (Similar to Orion's)

Late August/September 2021: vertical construction begins

Spring 2022: The new coaster opens with rave reviews.

 

What type of coaster? My guess is an RMC woodie, but I could see a Mack multi launch.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I've mostly learned my lesson on not getting hyped up for a world record record breaking coaster at Kings Island from Cedar Fair....I so hope they go all out for this one. I remember being lied to by my sister back in the day getting me on this ride telling me that it wasn't as tall as The Beast, then going up the lift hill and them pointing out how much higher than The Beast we were lol very fond memories. As years went by and my back got older I all together quit riding, but I always stopped to watch it because it was just a great viewing ride. I am sad though that I wont be able to give it a farewell ride because of back issues, I do not see how this area can accommodate walking paths or flat rides because it would cost so much money to grade this terrain. The only thing I think will make sense is another coaster but that could just be because I'm so used to seeing this coaster here. Let's hope for a unique amazing coaster to take the place of this historic Kings Island landmark. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Yes, I don't think we'll be getting a coaster in 2021, but I could see something big replacing it sooner rather than later. 2022 at the earliest. The reason why I say sooner is because I think having nothing there will be a major eyesore so I'm sure Kings Island will want to fill that gap as soon as possible. My thoughts are that they won't start tearing it down until after Orion is completed or close to completed. So they might be tearing it down during parts of the beginning of the season. Here is a good timeline prediction if a coaster is coming in 2022 which I don't think is super likely:

Winter/spring of 2020: Orion is completed and they start removing Vortex. Orion opens to rave reviews in April.

Late Summer/Early fall 2020: mysterious markers start showing up around The Vortex plot of land

Spring 2021: Land clearing begins in the former Vortex plot of land

Late Spring/early summer 2021: footers start being poured

Summer 2021: Kings Island starts a teaser campaign:

August 2021: Kings Island holds a big announcement event (Similar to Orion's)

Late August/September 2021: vertical construction begins

Spring 2022: The new coaster opens with rave reviews.

 

What type of coaster? My guess is an RMC woodie, but I could see a Mack multi launch.

This seems feasible to me.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think they will keep Vortex up for a majority of the 2020 season. It’s a very photogenic coaster. I just hope whatever they choose to do. They keep it as “awesome” looking as possible and offer a loop close to public walkways. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Here is what I'm working with:

Total land area I see for development: about 9.1 acres

Pic:     Site I used for this image and to calculate the land area: https://www.mapdevelopers.com/area_finder.php

Screenshot 2019-09-27 at 8.18.57 AM.png

 

Personally, I see three options with this land:

1. An expansion of Rivertown with paths from either in front of The Beast or behind Rivertown Pizza. I see with this the addition of a few flat rides.

2. An expansion of Coney Mall. As unlikely as I think this is, it is still possible that we could see a third expansion of the mall.

3. The addition of a new roller coaster. As for the kind of coaster, I am split. I think a new roller coaster styled just like Vortex. The only issue being it seems kinda dumb to tear down a ride just to build something like it. I don't believe B&M will have one of their own there considering Orion. So, I see either an RMC or an Intamin. 

So, those are my thoughts.

A huge family area expansion with a dark ride, msny flats. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This does allow the park to really re-do the area around The Vortex footprint and eliminating some of the bottlenecks (i.e. WindSeeker and Vortex's exit).  I could see a multiyear improvement plan similar to how Wonderland did Frontier Canada.  I'll probably do my suggestions for a five year plan in the next couple days.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see three options here

1. RMC (Woodie or Raptor): This would be a great choice for Kings Island, as it would be a cool photogenic coaster

2. Dive Coaster: This would be another great coaster and a little less thrilling than a RMC, but KI already has a lot of B&M's rights now

3. Expansion: This is in my opinion the lease likely because the ground is really deep and they would have to level the ground maybe. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I know is that if they put something in, RIP the trees and secluded feel on The Beast.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, westcoaster said:

A huge family area expansion with a dark ride, msny flats. 

I personally don't think this is going to happen for several reasons.

1. The terrain where Vortex is situated is very uneven. There might be minor expansions, but nothing large I would presume.

2. Any clearing from Beast's station backwards takes away from Beast's trees and hiddenness.

So, anything along the lines of minor area expansion and the addition of some sort of new roller coaster is probably the most reasonable options.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for the double post....

...but, upon examination of the image below, Vortex doesn't seem to take a whole lot of land. Using an area calculator, Vortex sits on approx. 4.11 acres. That's a bit compact for a coaster layout. If Kings Island was to add a new roller coaster, I doubt it would be invading Beast territory and probably sit on the same amount of land with a compact design.

20150810_130659.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on the RMC train for a good Vortex replacement.  Doesn't matter which model.  

I also hope they reuse the station if its something that can fit in it. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Sorry for the double post....

...but, upon examination of the image below, Vortex doesn't seem to take a whole lot of land. Using an area calculator, Vortex sits on approx. 4.11 acres. That's a bit compact for a coaster layout. If Kings Island was to add a new roller coaster, I doubt it would be invading Beast territory and probably sit on the same amount of land with a compact design.

20150810_130659.jpg

Orion gets pretty close too The Beast, doubt they really care at this point about that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

Orion gets pretty close too The Beast, doubt they really care at this point about that.

Sure, it does, but Orion’s going to be about 200 feet off the ground and about 100 feet away from The Beast’s brake shed at closest approach.  So, far and high enough away to not even be noticeable while on The Beast.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RMC with loops and barrel rolls and using what id consider a cool station could rock..

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

Here’s a concept. 

 

I love the concept, but the pov nearly gave me motion sickness. lol.

 

I wonder whoever designed it could make it fit in 4.11 acres.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...