Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex

Klabergian Empire

Here is what I'm working with:

Total land area I see for development: about 9.1 acres

Pic:     Site I used for this image and to calculate the land area: https://www.mapdevelopers.com/area_finder.php

Screenshot 2019-09-27 at 8.18.57 AM.png

Personally, I see three options with this land:

1. An expansion of Rivertown with paths from either in front of The Beast or behind Rivertown Pizza. I see with this the addition of a few flat rides.

2. An expansion of Coney Mall. As unlikely as I think this is, it is still possible that we could see a third expansion of the mall.

3. The addition of a new roller coaster. As for the kind of coaster, I am split. I think a new roller coaster styled just like Vortex. The only issue being it seems kinda dumb to tear down a ride just to build something like it. I don't believe B&M will have one of their own there considering Orion. So, I see either an RMC or an Intamin. 

So, those are my thoughts.

• Like 6

There's a little part of me that remembers @bkroz's re-imagining of Kings Island and kinda wants to see a Zamperla Moto Coaster with cars themed to horses or something like Verbolten (but with a unique theme) in that area. Especially if they used the area outlined by @Klabergian Empire and even maybe put Action Theater out of its misery in the process.

I just really hope it's something unique and family-oriented and maybe a little terrain-y. I'm a little weary of the big coaster cycle (I like B&M, but I'm getting a little tired of Cedar Fair's dependence on them), and we're losing something with a 48" height restriction. Not to mention that Valravn is only 3 years old, so it'd be a little surprising to see a dive coaster show up at KI that soon since a lot of KI's customer base seems to be aware of CP's existence.

Complete pipe dream incoming: it'd be even cooler if that was where a dark ride was put in and the exterior was themed to a carnival sideshow of sorts. Or something thematically appropriate for an amusement park from yesterday. Or even a reimagining of Coney Island's Lost River. Or literally anything besides another -est-iest B&M, haha.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

There's a little part of me that remembers @bkroz's re-imagining of Kings Island and kinda wants to see a Zamperla Moto Coaster with cars themed to horses or something like Verbolten (but with a unique theme) in that area. Especially if they used the area outlined by @Klabergian Empire and even maybe put Action Theater out of its misery in the process.

I just really hope it's something unique and family-oriented and maybe a little terrain-y. I'm a little weary of the big coaster cycle (I like B&M, but I'm getting a little tired of Cedar Fair's dependence on them), and we're losing something with a 48" height restriction. Not to mention that Valravn is only 3 years old, so it'd be a little surprising to see a dive coaster show up at KI that soon since a lot of KI's customer base seems to be aware of CP's existence.

Complete pipe dream incoming: it'd be even cooler if that was where a dark ride was put in and the exterior was themed to a carnival sideshow of sorts. Or something thematically appropriate for an amusement park from yesterday. Or even a reimagining of Coney Island's Lost River. Or literally anything besides another -est-iest B&M, haha.

I love B&M, but I completely agree. I would love to see something "different," like you suggested. This removal opens up a lot of land, which is great for the future.

• Like 6

We know I my love but I am not going to say bring in a coaster by them. All I am saying it would be nice to not have another B&M for a while. They make great coasters. I am just ready for something big by someone else. A Blitz coaster or air launched coaster by S&S. Anything by RMC.

• Like 4

Yes, I don't think we'll be getting a coaster in 2021, but I could see something big replacing it sooner rather than later. 2022 at the earliest. The reason why I say sooner is because I think having nothing there will be a major eyesore so I'm sure Kings Island will want to fill that gap as soon as possible. My thoughts are that they won't start tearing it down until after Orion is completed or close to completed. So they might be tearing it down during parts of the beginning of the season. Here is a good timeline prediction if a coaster is coming in 2022 which I don't think is super likely:

Winter/spring of 2020: Orion is completed and they start removing Vortex. Orion opens to rave reviews in April.

Late Summer/Early fall 2020: mysterious markers start showing up around The Vortex plot of land

Spring 2021: Land clearing begins in the former Vortex plot of land

Late Spring/early summer 2021: footers start being poured

Summer 2021: Kings Island starts a teaser campaign:

August 2021: Kings Island holds a big announcement event (Similar to Orion's)

Late August/September 2021: vertical construction begins

Spring 2022: The new coaster opens with rave reviews.

What type of coaster? My guess is an RMC woodie, but I could see a Mack multi launch.

• Like 10

Although I've mostly learned my lesson on not getting hyped up for a world record record breaking coaster at Kings Island from Cedar Fair....I so hope they go all out for this one. I remember being lied to by my sister back in the day getting me on this ride telling me that it wasn't as tall as The Beast, then going up the lift hill and them pointing out how much higher than The Beast we were lol very fond memories. As years went by and my back got older I all together quit riding, but I always stopped to watch it because it was just a great viewing ride. I am sad though that I wont be able to give it a farewell ride because of back issues, I do not see how this area can accommodate walking paths or flat rides because it would cost so much money to grade this terrain. The only thing I think will make sense is another coaster but that could just be because I'm so used to seeing this coaster here. Let's hope for a unique amazing coaster to take the place of this historic Kings Island landmark. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Yes, I don't think we'll be getting a coaster in 2021, but I could see something big replacing it sooner rather than later. 2022 at the earliest. The reason why I say sooner is because I think having nothing there will be a major eyesore so I'm sure Kings Island will want to fill that gap as soon as possible. My thoughts are that they won't start tearing it down until after Orion is completed or close to completed. So they might be tearing it down during parts of the beginning of the season. Here is a good timeline prediction if a coaster is coming in 2022 which I don't think is super likely:

Winter/spring of 2020: Orion is completed and they start removing Vortex. Orion opens to rave reviews in April.

Late Summer/Early fall 2020: mysterious markers start showing up around The Vortex plot of land

Spring 2021: Land clearing begins in the former Vortex plot of land

Late Spring/early summer 2021: footers start being poured

Summer 2021: Kings Island starts a teaser campaign:

August 2021: Kings Island holds a big announcement event (Similar to Orion's)

Late August/September 2021: vertical construction begins

Spring 2022: The new coaster opens with rave reviews.

What type of coaster? My guess is an RMC woodie, but I could see a Mack multi launch.

This seems feasible to me.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Here is what I'm working with:

Total land area I see for development: about 9.1 acres

Pic:     Site I used for this image and to calculate the land area: https://www.mapdevelopers.com/area_finder.php

Screenshot 2019-09-27 at 8.18.57 AM.png

Personally, I see three options with this land:

1. An expansion of Rivertown with paths from either in front of The Beast or behind Rivertown Pizza. I see with this the addition of a few flat rides.

2. An expansion of Coney Mall. As unlikely as I think this is, it is still possible that we could see a third expansion of the mall.

3. The addition of a new roller coaster. As for the kind of coaster, I am split. I think a new roller coaster styled just like Vortex. The only issue being it seems kinda dumb to tear down a ride just to build something like it. I don't believe B&M will have one of their own there considering Orion. So, I see either an RMC or an Intamin. 

So, those are my thoughts.

A huge family area expansion with a dark ride, msny flats. 

• Like 2

I could see three options here

1. RMC (Woodie or Raptor): This would be a great choice for Kings Island, as it would be a cool photogenic coaster

2. Dive Coaster: This would be another great coaster and a little less thrilling than a RMC, but KI already has a lot of B&M's rights now

3. Expansion: This is in my opinion the lease likely because the ground is really deep and they would have to level the ground maybe. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, westcoaster said:

A huge family area expansion with a dark ride, msny flats. 

I personally don't think this is going to happen for several reasons.

1. The terrain where Vortex is situated is very uneven. There might be minor expansions, but nothing large I would presume.

2. Any clearing from Beast's station backwards takes away from Beast's trees and hiddenness.

So, anything along the lines of minor area expansion and the addition of some sort of new roller coaster is probably the most reasonable options.

• Like 1

Sorry for the double post....

...but, upon examination of the image below, Vortex doesn't seem to take a whole lot of land. Using an area calculator, Vortex sits on approx. 4.11 acres. That's a bit compact for a coaster layout. If Kings Island was to add a new roller coaster, I doubt it would be invading Beast territory and probably sit on the same amount of land with a compact design.

20150810_130659.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Sorry for the double post....

...but, upon examination of the image below, Vortex doesn't seem to take a whole lot of land. Using an area calculator, Vortex sits on approx. 4.11 acres. That's a bit compact for a coaster layout. If Kings Island was to add a new roller coaster, I doubt it would be invading Beast territory and probably sit on the same amount of land with a compact design.

20150810_130659.jpg

Orion gets pretty close too The Beast, doubt they really care at this point about that.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

Orion gets pretty close too The Beast, doubt they really care at this point about that.

Sure, it does, but Orion’s going to be about 200 feet off the ground and about 100 feet away from The Beast’s brake shed at closest approach.  So, far and high enough away to not even be noticeable while on The Beast.

• Like 4