Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex

Klabergian Empire

It's going to be a dive coaster of some kind. Maybe a gerstlauer dive machine like Hangtime. If not that, then an RMC Raptor with advanced capacity like Jersey Devil (that would be nuts).

Or..... imagine if they build a B&M floorless coaster on that land with the same layout as Vortex, but without the roughness and maintenance issues.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sadly, I think this land is going to sit empty for quite some time. When we do eventually get a new coaster in it, 5-6 years down the road, it will be good, but it is not going to be a record breaker of any time. If Orion has shown us anything, it is that Cedar Fair is willing to invest in Kings Island, but that they dont see the return on investment in building record setters here. Why spend 20% more to build a record breaker when it will not result in 20% greater returns? I am going to guess a 190ish foot dive coaster with 3 inversions is most likely.

I hope I am wrong on this, but Is simply dont see KI getting any major investments for several years. Orion is a huge investment, and Cedar Fair has already stated that they are going to slow down the investment rate on new coasters.

• Like 5

I feel like we might get something there sooner rather than later because I think having nothing there will be a major eye sore so I think KI will be looking at wanting to fill that gap as soon as possible. But it all depends on what corporate says. But I think it would be a huge missed opportunity to not put a large coaster there that is super photogenic like Vortex was. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2019 at 2:30 PM, shark6495 said:

All I know is that if they put something in, RIP the trees and secluded feel on The Beast.

This is a concern of mine as well. I'd hope could fit the next coaster in the current spot without removing many trees.

I'm curious if a coaster like Steel Vengeance  would fit in that spot.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, KI Guy said:

This is a concern of mine as well. I'd hope could fit the next coaster in the current spot without removing many trees.

I'm curious if a coaster like Steel Vengeance  would fit in that spot.

Maybe it is time for some Google Earth overlays or other coasters in The Vortex plot of land!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Look up Shoot The Rapids at Cedar Point. That is the main reason their partnership fell apart. There were other smaller reasons too!

Shoot the Rapids, constant issues with TTD, Maverick’s issues during construction/testing.  Just an overall nightmare with cables breaking and accidents in the United States. Intamin installations have had serious maintenance and reliability issues.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

Shoot the Rapids, constant issues with TTD, Maverick’s issues during construction/testing.  Just an overall nightmare with cables breaking and accidents in the United States. Intamin installations have had serious maintenance and reliability issues.

I hope one day CF can build another Intamin, it would be a happy day for @Maverick44 :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

Not to mention I305. I305 was down for months in the summer one year with a lift hill problem, and the whole reconstructing the ride after the first year. 

I do really enjoy Intamin rides, but if you are a business there comes a point where investing in coasters that consistently require more money to keep functioning becomes too much to handle. 

• Like 5

1.  It's kind of funny that The Vortex land will probably sit empty for a while right after the land across the way was just redeveloped for Antique Autos .  (After 20+ years! For the most part.)

2.  While I think The Vortex station is a goner, it would be cool if KI reused it for a 3rd coaster.  Does anyone know of another example of a coaster station being reused for an entirely different coaster?  I don't think RMC's and stand-up to floor-less conversions count.  I will miss the Victorian (ish) styling of the station.

3.  How far would be acceptable for a new coaster to go back without encroaching on Beast's seclusion?  I'm thinking not past the crest of the first lift hill.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, WoodVengeance said:

Here's Steel Vengeance in Vortex's plot of land for reference.

VortexSV.png

As much as I like this and would love an RMC at the park, I still see it very unlikely that Cedar Fair will work with RMC in the near future. Steel Vengeance consistently has downtime, and often times, can’t run all three trains. And I know, Steel Vengeance is the only RMC (besides Lightning Rod) that has such constant downtime, and many others think that if Kings Island were to get an RMC that this would not necessarily be the case. As far as I am concerned, the reason Steel Vengeance is always down and running without three trains is because of its three trains. No other RMC that is not dual track has more than two trains. Steel Vengeance is the first one, and it is obvious that RMC still is having trouble making three trains work. Kings Island needs a coaster that runs three trains, and RMC simply cannot deliver that right now. Also, on top of all of this, Steel Vengeance’s line is considerably slowed down by the whole phone policy, and some loose article policy would also have to be implemented at Kings Island for an RMC. People always say that Kings Island will never get an Intamin because of downtime, but if downtime is the reason, RMC is also not a likely candidate.

I don’t want this to come off as negative. I really don’t. I want an RMC too! I just don’t see Cedar Fair wanting to work with a company that is still giving them headaches over a year after their first time working with them. I will be surprised if Cedar Fair decides to work with them again anytime soon, at least until Steel Vengeance and RMC can prove to be more reliable.

• Like 3

Dive coaster seems to be a popular desire as a replacement, but I don't agree. I do believe the replacement will be an intense looping coaster. My favorite replacements:
1) New Vekoma looping coaster like Lech Coaster, but on a larger scale
2) Intamin blitz like Maverick
3) Mack Multi-launch that is more intense than Copperhead Strike

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, kiisgreat said:

The last two coasters at Kings Island haven’t generated much growth.

This is not true at all, and I can’t help but wonder why this narrative is so popular. Banshee attracted a very large crowd that year. Mystic Timbers resulted in the best annual attendance since 1998. Both had a very large ROI, especially Mystic Timbers.

• Like 7

This is not true at all, and I can’t help but wonder why this narrative is so popular. Banshee attracted a very large crowd that year. Mystic Timbers resulted in the best annual attendance since 1998. Both had a very large ROI, especially Mystic Timbers.

Oh, sorry. Yeah, that was the narrative around the internet

11 hours ago, WoodVengeance said:

Here's Steel Vengeance in Vortex's plot of land for reference.

VortexSV.png

I think the Steel Vengeance concept has great potential. Now, I don't think a copy of SV is a good idea. But I do think that a coaster the size of this could work out really well for the land there. Besides the coaster, you could add a few new flat rides to the north in Coney Mall and a minor expansion to Rivertown in the south.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Klabergian Empire said:

I think the Steel Vengeance concept has great potential. Now, I don't think a copy of SV is a good idea. But I do think that a coaster the size of this could work out really well for the land there. Besides the coaster, you could add a few new flat rides to the north in Coney Mall and a minor expansion to Rivertown in the south.

My intention wasn't to put a copy of SV in that area. It was to show the amount of land we're currently working with and that you could fit a pretty large coaster there, it doesn't have to be an RMC.

• Like 4