Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex

Klabergian Empire

33 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I know someone said back that Cedar Fair doesn’t want to spend the capital on coasters like they used too. I was at the park Sunday thinking if Vortex was at the end of its life Flight Deck and Adventure Express aren’t far behind.  In all honesty Invertago should go too. There are a lot of coasters that could be considered for removal and I personally see a lot of changes for KI more quickly rather than more slowly. Not to mention the water park and kids area both could use an update. The park seems to have gotten old really fast. 

I don’t think these rides are going to get removed in the near future, they are not going to strip Kings Island of 5 coasters within 10 years... the only reason it’s gotten old is due to the fact Cedar Fair has had to address so many of the issues paramount left over.

• Like 4

I would love a B&M floor less even tho we have too many B&M’s with the addition of Orionback which I hoped wasn’t going to be a B&M.. Anything that fits the profile of Vortex would be nice. I’m not thrilled with the recent trend of entrenching on the woods or building were The Beast is. (Slaughterhouse and Orionback.) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, veritas said:

I see your point, but look at it from this angle. KI could market that section of the park as the Wood coaster capitol of the world. (In 2023 Challenge the legendary Beast, ride the Mysterious Mystic Timbers, and if you dare test your courage and take on the wood coaster with the most inversions, fastest speeds, and monumental heights. Insert name of coaster here) Just a thought.

"In 2023, the wooden coaster capital of the world invites you to tackle these wood machines! Challenge the legendary Beast which is the world's longest wooden rollercoaster. Ride into the unknown woods on Mystic Timbers and see what is in the shed! Race your friends on The Racer and see who comes out Victorious on Kings Island's oldest coaster! Have young kids? Take them on a family adventure on Woodstock Express! And wrap it all off with our newest wooden monster! Rule the Kings Island Kingdom on Tyrant! The world's tallest, fastest, and steepest wooden coaster! You will go down a 90 degree first drop and go through several wild maneuvers and 5 wild inversions! Gather your friends and family and come out to Kings Island the wooden coaster capital of the world!" This is something I came up with! Just having fun. Sean Flaharty replied to a comment on his Vortex removal video mentioning the name Tyrant and found it to be a sick name! I looked it up and Tyrant is the name of a TV show which I'm sure would be a problem for using that name. But I was just having fun mentioning the name Tyrant! 

• Like 1

Alright, top options for me. Because I'm bored.

1. RMC T-Rex. First of its kind (technically), KI finally gets an RMC, might be a dueling coaster as well (judging by that concept that got leaked from IAAPA a while back). Perfect addition.
  2. Gestlauer Dive Machine. Brilliant lighting scheme, inversion machine. No launches please.
  3. MACK Launch Coaster. Uses the terrain a bunch, tons of hangtime.
  4. B&M Flyer. Only one around, more terrain usage.
  5. B&M Dive Machine. 50/50 on this one. It might ruin The Beast's secluded feel, but it wouldn't be a bad addition. Not unique at all though.
  6. RMC Hybrid. Oh boy, unpopular opinion time. I actually rank this lower than a couple of B&M's. I just think that it might be wooden coaster overkill, and KI is sandwiched between two parks with existing RMC's. Not to say that it would be a bad coaster, but it wouldn't be super unique.
  7. B&M Floorless. Most boring out of all the options.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tr0y said:

You are still sitting on a B&M floor less but there is no floor so your feet dangle over track. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floorless_Coaster

615F451B-AB5C-41F4-8C85-947A3F79F7DD.jpeg

I should clarify, I have ridden a B&M's with floor-less trains and regular sitting trains (a la Hulk).  Just curious if people think the floor-less experience is that much greater.  Would it be worth the extra cost to add the machinery in the station to accommodate the floor-less trains?  The ride layouts on these coasters seem to be similar regardless of the train style .  Either would be a worthy replacement for Vortex in terms of lift hill height and inversions.

I took the "sitting coaster" terminology from RCDB.

Capture.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tr0y said:

I would love a B&M floor less even tho we have too many B&M’s with the addition of Orionback which I hoped wasn’t going to be a B&M.. Anything that fits the profile of Vortex would be nice. I’m not thrilled with the recent trend of entrenching on the woods or building were The Beast is. (Slaughterhouse and Orionback.) 

I Agree!   That’s the biggest disappointment of Orion.   They built it too close to The Beast and removed too many trees around that coaster.  

In addition to the other trees removed after the first tunnel and before the first tunnel, will The Beast eventually become as treeless as the rest of the park?    The love cutting down trees but not planting them!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, super7 said:

I Agree!   That’s the biggest disappointment of Orion.   They built it too close to The Beast and removed too many trees around that coaster. 

They removed like one grove of trees next to the MCBR. Your post is quite the overreaction! 

• Like 7

On 9/30/2019 at 5:56 PM, befat said:

Are floor-less trains vastly greater than sitting

I dont see the attraction of a floor-less coaster.  Can someone explain why there has been so much hype about getting 1

As for the Hulk.  I found it a pretty decent ride.  Was pretty smooth.  (this coming from someone that couldnt drive home and had surgery shortly after getting back to KY

Kumba looks like a newer version of Vortex.. not that that is bad.   Lets just not put something in there that is gonna require most of the trees

• Like 1

I have only ridden one B&M sit down looper (Wildfire at Silver Dollar City) but I thought it was a great ride and would happily take something like that.

The reason I prefer a Floorless over a Dive is that the layouts seem more thought out than a Dive where the Dive is the main focal point plus it would likely have more inversions than a Dive would.  I also like that the capacity on a B&M Floorless would be 32 riders vs. The 24 riders on a Dive.

• Like 3

Plus with a dive we'd get a max of 4 inversions. Floorlesses generally have 7. 

To answer your question @Kingshaven, there was always talk on here a replacing Vortex with a floorless years ago. That idea kind of got put on the back burner because everybody was talking about a giga. Now that we have a giga that talk has sprung back up. In all honesty a floorless would be an appropriate replacement for Vortex just because they basically are smoother versions of arrow loopers with better transitions. We could opt for a sit-down B&M like Kumba, Wildfire, Etc but I think the talk of a floorless is always on the table because it's just one little extra gimmick that the GP would love. 

Now that Cedar Fair hasacquired some different types of rides like Raptors, Infinity coasters, and multi launches I think everybody is just rushing to the conclusion that those will be the most likely coasters. A lot of people forget that Kings Island doesn't really follow the trend of coasters around the chain- they always do something new and unique. I think adding a floorless coaster would bring back that uniqueness since Cedar Fair hasn't done a ground up floorless in over a decade.

I'll finish off with this- when we heard about Orion everybody immediately started to compare it to Leviathan and Fury saying it was inferior instead of looking at for what it was- a giga. If we get a floorless coaster you can only really compare it to the older models around the chain and across the industry which allows us to differentiate our selves. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

Plus with a dive we'd get a max of 4 inversions. Floorlesses generally have 7. 

To answer your question @Kingshaven, there was always talk on here a replacing Vortex with a floorless years ago. That idea kind of got put on the back burner because everybody was talking about a giga. Now that we have a giga that talk has sprung back up. In all honesty a floorless would be an appropriate replacement for Vortex just because they basically are smoother versions of arrow loopers with better transitions. We could opt for a sit-down B&M like Kumba, Wildfire, Etc but I think the talk of a floorless is always on the table because it's just one little extra gimmick that the GP would love. 

Now that Cedar Fair has acquired some different types of rides like Raptors, Infinity coasters, and multi launches I think everybody is just rushing to the conclusion that those will be the most likely coasters. A lot of people forget that Kings Island doesn't really follow the trend of coasters around the chain- they always do something new and unique. I think adding a floorless coaster would bring back that uniqueness since Cedar Fair hasn't done a ground up floorless in over a decade.

I'll finish off with this- when we heard about Orion everybody immediately started to compare it to Leviathan and Fury saying it was inferior instead of looking at for what it was- a giga. If we get a floorless coaster you can only really compare it to the older models around the chain and across the industry which allows us to differentiate our selves. 

.....we're gonna get a floorless, aren't we? Let's hope it's good.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

The more I think about it, I think a B&M flyer would look really cool there! B&M flyers are very picturesque rides. They could have it go close to the midway like most other flying coasters and it would look very cool.   

It’d be very cool to have a gaint pretzel loop that reaches the bottom of the valley, probably be very intense & fun.

• Like 4

I'd love something other than B&M--for variety if nothing else. We'll already have 3. Never ridden a Mack launch-but something that resembled that or Maverick would look really cool in that spot and still be the 'pit of twisted metal' that makes Vortex look so sweet. Obviously, if they wanted to do a ground up RMC and call it 'Nephew of Beast' or whatever it would totally fit in that area as well. 

• Like 4

I saw this and kind of laughed. This would be cool all right, but in reality, it was probably just a couple of employees messing around. Another example of employees trolling enthusiasts was when someone placed the old wood by the Son of Beast gravestone in the midst of all of the Son of Beast RMC rumors.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3