Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex

Klabergian Empire

10 minutes ago, LintemuthStudios said:

Alright, NOW we're talking! That's perfect! One small critique though, I think you might have cut off some of Karnan's station.

It's the same cutout that I used in the other picture. Maybe I did, idk iv'e never ridden it lol.

• Like 2

I spent forever working on this, but here you go!

I put Steel Vengeance's top-hat, outer-bank, and mid-coarse area where (correct me if i'm wrong; this is according to the park's website), Vortex's boomerang is located.

Untitled drawing (13).jpg

Obviously, this would be lowered into the valley-like area that Vortex sits in so you would be able to look right over the mid-coarse and that would look really cool. Getting that close to the train would be really picturesque and being able to see most of the layout would be amazing.

• Like 8

My reasons for a floorless would be:

• They are great rides- Hydra was fun and Rougarou is one of my favorites at CP
  • Nostalgia- Those who know me know I like thngs from the 90’s/Early 2000’s and the first floorless debuted in 1999
  • Also, it would be great to have a modern looping coaster take Vortex’s place when the time comes. But a regular sit down B&M could work just fine.

Another thought I had is this: if a Wing coaster did take Vortex’d place, I’d want it to be low to the ground and have twisting elements (much like Flug de Daemonen); this would differentiate it from GateKeeper and Thunderbird. And as I’ve said before, so could see a Dive going in that plot of land.

EDIT: Here is a link to Flug de Daemonen on RCDB: https://rcdb.com/6667.htm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

• Nostalgia- Those who know me know I like thngs from the 90’s/Early 2000’s and the first floorless debuted in 1999
  • Also, it would be great to have a modern looping coaster take Vortex’s place when the time comes. But a regular sit down B&M could work just fine.

Another thought I’d this: if a Wing coaster did take Vortex’d place, I’d want it to be low to the ground and have twisting elements (much like Flug der Daemon); this would differentiate it from GateKeeper and Thunderbird. And as I’ve said before, so could see a Dive going in that plot of land.

I agree with Rougarou being an awesome coaster, it's the coaster I rode when a ride was broken down, or just for fun. It doesn't have a rattle from my experience and was rather intense. 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

Another thought I had is this: if a Wing coaster did take Vortex’d place, I’d want it to be low to the ground and have twisting elements (much like Flug de Daemonen); this would differentiate it from GateKeeper and Thunderbird. And as I’ve said before, so could see a Dive going in that plot of land.

While a lot of facts point to a floorless, I think the more logical model is the B&M dive. It would fit in the vast amount of land that Vortex currently occupies and if Cedar Fair puts in the money, it could have an inversion count of 6, or at least 5. Also, dives are GP and crowd pleasers. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, CedarFairFan787 said:

While a lot of facts point to a floorless, I think the more logical model is the B&M dive. It would fit in the vast amount of land that Vortex currently occupies and if Cedar Fair puts in the money, it could have an inversion count of 6, or at least 5. Also, dives are GP and crowd pleasers. 

Here is a nice name for a dive:

Kings Mills Striker

Themed to the working community of Kings Mills and the old abandoned factory (that is being turned into condos and a brewery). Sounds Cedar Fairy to me. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Here is a nice name for a dive:

Kings Mills Striker

Themed to the working community of Kings Mills and the old abandoned factory (that is being turned into condos and a brewery). Sounds Cedar Fairy to me. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Love it! That is Hilarious!

Cedar Fair loves to mix and match their names.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, collin.klopfstein said:

wait, if last rides on Vortex are october 27th, does this mean we will be seeing Vortex being tore down during winterfest?

I doubt it, last year Firehawk stood for all of Winterfest and wasn’t torn down until January. E9382E1B-5A59-484B-8243-720C10105A9E.jpegFE518DAF-3925-4229-83B1-F21DEB8F543C.jpeg26C82A74-83AA-4720-BEDE-EDE83819C1D4.jpegI took these during that time. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, LintemuthStudios said:

There's a big difference. All of those rides have different manufacturers or are pretty old so it wouldn't really matter too much. Valravn is also heavily featured in Cedar Point's marketing.

Millennium is too. They also got a arrow suspended around the same time as KI. I mean just because it doesn't happen all the time doesn't mean it isn't possible. Especially as the lineups begin to flesh out and can't be as different. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrSourNinja said:

Millennium is too. They also got a arrow suspended around the same time as KI. I mean just because it doesn't happen all the time doesn't mean it isn't possible. Especially as the lineups begin to flesh out and can't be as different. 

Different manufacturer. And KI is already missing a lot of coasters that would fit better, like a Mack Launch or an RMC T-Rex or a Gerstlauer, which are things you can't find at Cedar Point.

• Like 3

After reading through all this, there's one thing that stuck in my head was losing a 48" looping coaster. One that many ppl experienced as the first coaster they rode that went upside down. Without KI building another that meets those 2 things it leaves Banshee unfortunately 4" away before the fun of going upside down for the first time. As much as I want to see a dive coaster or some such type, it feels off to not put in a "gateway?" coaster for some shorties. 

• Like 8

On 10/15/2019 at 8:11 PM, MDMC01 said:

I rode Rougarou for the first time this summer and it was horrible! Mid day so no excuse for not being warm and it felt like I was getting sized up by an egg beater. I normally avoid all head-banging by keeping my headoff the headrest but even that didn't work one bit. I couldn't enjoy the ride and the layout because it was so bad, I just wanted off. Have never ridden any other ride that I felt even compared to the pain that put me through. 

A friend and I rode Vortex last night for the last time, and besides it being THE BEST Vortex has ever ran for me, it gave us plenty of time to discuss land options. I think at the end of the day I would wait longer for an RMC version of Vortex or Son of Beast, whatever you want to name it, than anything else. That would be my top tier replacement. Number two is probably more like A multilaunch looper with a good chunk of inversions and I think my tier 3 would be a dive. The only reason I like a dive in that spot is I think you could do a lot with the land and even have a cool woods moment, but it's definitely not my favorite idea though.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, MrSourNinja said:

I rode Rougarou for the first time this summer and it was horrible! Mid day so no excuse for not being warm and it felt like I was getting sized up by an egg beater. I normally avoid all head-banging by keeping my headoff the headrest but even that didn't work one bit. I couldn't enjoy the ride and the layout because it was so bad, I just wanted off. Have never ridden any other ride that I felt even compared to the pain that put me through. 

A friend and I rode Vortex last night for the last time, and besides it being THE BEST Vortex has ever ran for me, it gave us plenty of time to discuss land options. I think at the end of the day I would wait longer for an RMC version of Vortex or Son of Beast, whatever you want to name it, than anything else. That would be my top tier replacement. Number two is probably more like A multilaunch looper with a good chunk of inversions and I think my tier 3 would be a dive. The only reason I like a dive in that spot is I think you could do a lot with the land and even have a cool woods moment, but it's definitely not my favorite idea though.

You sir, have the exact opinion I have on Rougaeou and Vortex's land. (Off topic) I cannot believe you were thinking the same thing as me, (On topic) and waiting till 2023 or 2024 would be worth it for a top tier RMC like(In my opinion) Lightning Rod or Steel Vengeance. Rougarou was unbearable when I rode it so I'll take any other model besides a floorless or stand-up.

• Like 2

I actually really like Rougarou. The thing is that if you keep your head forward, you get less head banging. I've ridden two floorless coasters (Rougarou and Scream at SFMM) and both I kept my head forward and enjoyed both. 

With that being said, if KI were to get a ground up floorless, I believe it would have vest restraints. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I actually really like Rougarou. The thing is that if you keep your head forward, you get less head banging. I've ridden two floorless coasters (Rougarou and Scream at SFMM) and both I kept my head forward and enjoyed both. 

With that being said, if KI were to get a ground up floorless, I believe it would have vest restraints. 

While I find it true that if we were to get a floorless that it wold have vest restraints, I do not agree with leaning your head forward on old floorless' with the old restraints does not improve the ride quality or less headbanging.

On 10/21/2019 at 5:11 PM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I kept my head forward the whole time, as I do on most rides, and honestly saw no benefit. That **** scrambled me like an egg.

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2019 at 8:20 PM, MrSourNinja said:

I kept my head forward the whole time, as I do on most rides, and honestly saw no benefit. That **** scrambled me like an egg.

Very much agreed. That ride does not deserve to be at a world class park like Cedar Point. I do not want Kings Island to get a floorless like Rougarou, let alone a floorless at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CedarFairFan787 said:

Very much agreed. That ride does not deserve to be at a world class park like Cedar Point. I do not want Kings Island to get a floorless like Rougarou, let alone a floorless at all.

A sit down looper is really what I want. Kinda wish someone would make similar style trains as Vortex too. Idk why, maybe it’s the smaller track, but when I was up there making those sharper turns at higher levels I felt so vulnerable and like we could fall at any moment. That’s a cool feeling you don’t get with any other ride at KI. It just felt so, out of control. 

• Like 1

Though more elements are being added, I think that dive coasters are still mostly one-trick ponies.  I would expect/prefer something that is more like Copperhead Strike at Carowinds.  Cedar Point doesn't have anything too similar (Maverick is close) and that type of coaster would fit into that space very well.  I would be on board with an Intamin blitz coaster as well, maybe with a top hat to provide a nice addition to the skyline.  The next best thing would be a new ground-up RMC woodie.  Doesn't have to go for height records but that type of wood coaster would look great back there.  

I might steer away from B&M's for the next couple coasters.  I love their rides but manufacturers like Gerstlauer and Mack should be used to provide some different rides.  A ride like Taron would be great as well.

• Like 6