Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex

Klabergian Empire

36 minutes ago, Skibum said:

Though more elements are being added, I think that dive coasters are still mostly one-trick ponies.  I would expect/prefer something that is more like Copperhead Strike at Carowinds.  Cedar Point doesn't have anything too similar (Maverick is close) and that type of coaster would fit into that space very well.  I would be on board with an Intamin blitz coaster as well, maybe with a top hat to provide a nice addition to the skyline.  The next best thing would be a new ground-up RMC woodie.  Doesn't have to go for height records but that type of wood coaster would look great back there.  

I might steer away from B&M's for the next couple coasters.  I love their rides but manufacturers like Gerstlauer and Mack should be used to provide some different rides.  A ride like Taron would be great as well.

I liked this, but hope a Copperhead Strike type ride would go either back behind Orion or if they replace Invertigo. I much prefer an RMC or big Woodie to go where Vortex is.  I would love A Copperhead strike type ride, but would prefer more along the lines of Maverick.   Really though, there are a few spots that KI can add some cool stuff over the next decade to make it more world-class than it already is. For us Rollercoaster nuts, the good news, IMO, is that with other parks across the country upping their game, KI has no choice but to continue to up theirs', which they have done very nicely with Banshee, Mystic Timbers, and Orion the past 6 years or so.  I do see the need for a couple more family and flat rides in the future too. I would love to know what's in store as would we all. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

I'd personally be most satisfied with a motion simulator theater that features POV rides of defunct coasters on the site. It'd make for a good band-aid and would be a great place to sell retro merch.

They do have the former Action Theater they could use for something in the future. 

• Like 3

Though more elements are being added, I think that dive coasters are still mostly one-trick ponies.  I would expect/prefer something that is more like Copperhead Strike at Carowinds.  Cedar Point doesn't have anything too similar (Maverick is close) and that type of coaster would fit into that space very well.  I would be on board with an Intamin blitz coaster as well, maybe with a top hat to provide a nice addition to the skyline.  The next best thing would be a new ground-up RMC woodie.  Doesn't have to go for height records but that type of wood coaster would look great back there.  
I might steer away from B&M's for the next couple coasters.  I love their rides but manufacturers like Gerstlauer and Mack should be used to provide some different rides.  A ride like Taron would be great as well.

While dive coasters might be a "one trick pony" that one trick is amazing... (And I'm assuming you've never ridden Yukon striker which I'd argue had more tricks with the dive under water and inversion).
By comparison, Copperhead strike, in my opinion, is a zero trick pony.
It's fine, but it really doesn't give you a unique thrill. The stall in the inversion is different... But isn't thrilling.

That said, I think it would be awhile before they put another B&M in at KI... and a dive coaster that isn't a B&M is lack luster (i'm looking at you hangtime)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MDMC01 said:

I just thought of something... what if we got an RMC single-Rail coaster with Vortex’s exact layout? Thoughts?

I am still on #TeamFloorless, though. B)

Anything can be good with Vortex's layout. 

Unless it's a togo

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fishleehooker said:

I am 100% team RMC if that hasn't become blatant yet.  Or another woodie.  They seem to last awhile!  Then again SoB?  But still...

I'd say it's doubtful we're gonna see another woodie anytime in the near future, given that we got Mystic Timbers just a couple years back. And I wouldn't really consider Son of Beast as a testament to the reliability and longevity of wooden coasters. That thing was a defective mess. An ambitious mess, but still.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

I'd say it's doubtful we're gonna see another woodie anytime in the near future, given that we got Mystic Timbers just a couple years back. And I wouldn't really consider Son of Beast as a testament to the reliability and longevity of wooden coasters. That thing was a defective mess. An ambitious mess, but still.

I disagree. Just because we already have a bunch of wooden coasters and got one a few years ago does not mean we won't get another one. I believe KI likes being known for their wooden coasters and I think they'll want to continue that. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Bdd127 said:

God I really wish they would have just referbished Vortex. The arrow looper is a dying breed and she was the best of the bunch. I look forward to the future, but nothing is quite like an Arrow Looper. 

There's only so much they could have done with it before needing to rebuild it completely from the ground up, which would have taken all the magic out of it anyways. It's sad to see things like this go, but it had a very long life for such a large Arrow looper. It leaves behind a legacy that won't soon be forgotten. Everything's dust in the wind, you know.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

As an ambitious and defective mess it betters the original Bat. And its the only woodie that we have taken down while the orginal Bat, King Cobra, Screamin Demon, Vortex, and Firehawk are all gone now.  I don't think we get another wood unless its an RMC though. At least for awhile. I do think the RMC is very possible though, but I could be totally in denial. Then again, I can just go to other parks to ride RMCs.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fishleehooker said:

As an ambitious and defective mess it betters the original Bat. And its the only woodie that we have taken down while the orginal Bat, King Cobra, Screamin Demon, Vortex, and Firehawk are all gone now.  I don't think we get another wood unless its an RMC though. At least for awhile. I do think the RMC is very possible though, but I could be totally in denial. Then again, I can just go to other parks to ride RMCs.  

While Son of Beast was built poorly The Bat was a prototype model, which never bodes well for parks. Funny enough, the current Bat (Top Gun) is one of the more reliable coasters in the park, as it was the last suspended Arrow coaster ever built. Come to think of it though, I do fear for its future. It will be approaching the same age as Vortex soon enough. Unlike the Adventure Express, the park's other Arrow, The Bat has an all steel architecture, which would make it very expensive to replace. I do fear a mass exodus of steel coasters from the park during the 2020s.

• Like 3

I want something like this in The Vortex plot. I would change the colors to be more vibrant, and make the ugly metal box have more style, or take it out completely. Also the interlocking corkscrews would make for an iconic element so that this plot of land will still get a lot of pictures, and have life to it. 

• Like 2

Now that Vekoma’s introducing their new-gen Tilt-Track model, likely coming to Energylandia first, I think it would be a perfect replacement for Vortex. It would fill the niche of a dive coaster and a modern looping coaster. That, and the Vortex’s area where Vortex’s drop is a focal point of the park. It could probably follow most of the ride’s layout.

• Like 4

On 9/27/2019 at 4:42 PM, westcoaster said:

RMC with loops and barrel rolls and using what id consider a cool station could rock..

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? I'm thinking a ground up RMC like Twisted Timbers at Kings Dominion, but longer to accommodate 3 trains. Have the back to back loops like Vortex had to pay tribute to Vortex. That's my vote.

• Like 2