Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex

Klabergian Empire

33 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Not sure CP would add anything from S&S coaster wise. Capacity might be tricky with this.

Why add an S&S when they can add a skinny new Intamin Blitz? LOL! But I would actually love to see an Intamin Blitz in that location. If not that then probably a Mack Rides launch coaster. I know some people are tossing around the idea of an RMC which I would be all for, but Cedar Fair’s relationship with RMC seems to have been strained after all the problems they are still having with Stell Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, and RailBlazer.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Why add an S&S when they can add a skinny new Intamin Blitz? LOL! But I would actually love to see an Intamin Blitz in that location. If not that then probably a Mack Rides launch coaster. I know some people are tossing around the idea of an RMC which I would be all for, but Cedar Fair’s relationship with RMC seems to have been strained after all the problems they are still having with Stell Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, and RailBlazer.

I can't wait to see how Pantheon does. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I was unaware of problems with Twisted Timbers and RailBlazer?  What were they?

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

Not sure CP would add anything from S&S coaster wise. Capacity might be tricky with this.

This is a test model.  The trains would be longer.  If you watch the video the track can be re-purposed meaning different train later on if desired.  Plus you can do air launch or lift hill.  They assume most will have a lift hill since they're cheaper.

16 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

What issues did those coasters have? First of I've heard of this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, silver2005 said:

I was unaware of problems with Twisted Timbers and RailBlazer?  What were they?

I have heard on Reddit that RailBlazer has a few structural weak points where the trains are exerting a lot of unwanted stress on the structure. Steel Vengeance is putting a lot of wear on the structure as well, and Cedar Point is having a hard time keeping up with maintenance. Twisted Timbers actually seems like it is the better of the three, but it still has the phone and metal detector problems that Steel Vengeance has. I don’t think Cedar Fair is willing work with RMC again until they can come up with a solid phone policy where the line still moves quickly. Also, according to some people on Reddit, the problems with Steel Vengeance have caused RMC’s and Cedar Fair’s relationship to decline. I cannot find exactly where all of this was originally said, but I found this post that has some pretty good comments worth reading farther down!

• Like 1

I have heard on Reddit that RailBlazer has a few structural weak points where the trains are exerting a lot of unwanted stress on the structure. Steel Vengeance is putting a lot of wear on the structure as well, and Cedar Point is having a hard time keeping up with maintenance. Twisted Timbers actually seems like it is the better of the three, but it still has the phone and metal detector problems that Steel Vengeance has. I don’t think Cedar Fair is willing work with RMC again until they can come up with a solid phone policy where the line still moves quickly. Also, according to some people on Reddit, the problems with Steel Vengeance have caused RMC’s and Cedar Fair’s relationship to decline. I cannot find exactly where all of this was originally said, but I found this post that has some pretty good comments worth reading farther down!

The Phone Policy is not RMC’s issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Zayzayd13 said:

I never said it was. It is, however, a problem that Cedar Fair has when it comes to RMC coasters, and at the moment, they really don’t have a good solution for it! But the stress and downtime Steel Vengeance is experiencing is most definitely RMC’s issue, and that is what is making Cedar Fair less likely to work with RMC in the near future coupled with Cedar Fair’s phone policy.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zayzayd13 said:

That’s what i was thinking. I thought the phone policy was Cedar Fair. I know Zadra has lockers but do they have a metal detector?? Technically i have taken my phone on SteVe and put it in the pouch with no issues at all. If you are stupid enough to loose your phone on SteVe that’s your fault. I do not understand the metal detectors at all. 

I would love a RMC obviously I think that everyone agrees with that. Twisted timbers type would be fine if they don’t want to top Iron Gwazi. If not a RMC then a blitz coaster would be great just not a spike please. I don’t understand all the hype with the spike. The spike makes sense when it comes to something that is heavily themed like universal or Disney. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I never said it was. It is, however, a problem that Cedar Fair has when it comes to RMC coasters, and at the moment, they really don’t have a good solution for it! But the stress and downtime Steel Vengeance is experiencing is most definitely RMC’s issue, and that is what is making Cedar Fair less likely to work with RMC in the near future coupled with Cedar Fair’s phone policy.

Is it really RMC fault. I feel like Cedar Fair has a roll in that. They wanted the biggest and baddest RMC ever on an old structure instead of building a coaster from the ground up. Idk just saying. I will be honest it scares me when i am sitting waiting to get off the ride. The structure shakes so much it is crazy. I know it’s safe for now lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hueney020 said:

Is it really RMC fault. I feel like Cedar Fair has a roll in that. They wanted the biggest and baddest RMC ever on an old structure instead of building a coaster from the ground up. Idk just saying. I will be honest it scares me when i am sitting waiting to get off the ride. The structure shakes so much it is crazy. I know it’s safe for now lol. 

It is RMC’s fault 100%! They agreed to build the ride, and they were the ones who designed it. They should have engineered the structure in a way that it would not rip itself apart, but they failed to do that. If RMC cannot deliver on record-breaking attractions, then why should parks even bother building RMC’s when looking for record-breakers. They might as well get the tallest B&M Dive Coaster or something more reliable.

• Like 1

I don’t disagree with you. I get it but at the same time I doubt Zadra is having the same issues that Steve is having. If that is the case I would assume it is becuase of the ride being built from the ground up. Also you never know what your limits are until you try so now RMC knows the limit. As far as your referenced reddit page it never mentioned Twisted Timbers. Unless i missed it but it seems like RMC’s on the scale of Twisted Timbers are fine. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Hueney020 said:

I don’t disagree with you. I get it but at the same time I doubt Zadra is having the same issues that Steve is having. If that is the case I would assume it is becuase of the ride being built from the ground up. Also you never know what your limits are until you try so now RMC knows the limit. As far as your referenced reddit page it never mentioned Twisted Timbers. Unless i missed it but it seems like RMC’s on the scale of Twisted Timbers are fine. 

I do think RMC is learning from their mistakes with Steel Vengeance which is good, but I don’t know if that is enough to justify Cedar Fair working with them again anytime soon. Also, you are right, Twisted Timbers has had far less problems than Steel Vengeance had, but it did have the minor “breaking-in” problems that all coasters have. The only problem I am aware of that Cedar Fair currently has with Twisted Timbers is the loose articles and phone policy which is not RMC’s fault at all. It just so happens that Cedar Fair only has this problem with RMC coasters due to their aggressiveness. You never know, but the complicated loose articles policy alone could be enough for Cedar Fair to not work with RMC anytime soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I do think RMC is learning from their mistakes with Steel Vengeance which is good, but I don’t know if that is enough to justify Cedar Fair working with them again anytime soon. Also, you are right, Twisted Timbers has had far less problems than Steel Vengeance had, but it did have the minor “breaking-in” problems that all coasters have. The only problem I am aware of that Cedar Fair currently has with Twisted Timbers is the loose articles and phone policy which is not RMC’s fault at all. It just so happens that Cedar Fair only has this problem with RMC coasters due to their aggressiveness. You never know, but the complicated loose articles policy alone could be enough for Cedar Fair to not work with RMC anytime soon.

Twisted Timbers valleyed while I was at KD on it’s opening weekend in 2018- is that the type of breaking in problems you’re talking about?

• Like 1

It would be a shame if the relationship soured between Cedar Fair and RMC. RMC has certainly done a fantastic job refitting coasters with their track system. I've only ridden Twisted Timbers, New Texas Giant, and Steel Vengeance. All three are amazing.

The three rides I mentioned above utilize the I-Box track so I have no ride experience with RMC's topper track. If anybody does I'd be interested in your opinions of it. I'm left to speculate that the topper track probably feels mostly if, not exactly, like a typical wooden coaster. 

I was really interested in how Zadra would turn out being RMC's first coaster they designed and built from the ground up. I don't think I will ever get to visit Poland to ride it myself but the reviews I've read have been very positive. That's a big milestone for RMC. 

As for my thoughts on what might occupy the land in and around Vortex, I'm not sure. The area of land Vortex covers is not that large. I'd have to trust those who have posted estimates on here as to the size plus the size of the surrounding area. 

I know some things that I'd like to maybe see happen. My first choice would be to not expand that area at all. Simply remove Vortex and build a Gerstlauer Euro-fighter in that spot. They are always built custom per-job and that is adequate room for really fun ride like that. 

Second choice would be a RMC monster that would be a part of The Beast family; Sister of, Brother of, Drunk Ass Uncle of, you get the point. Normally I'd be against another Beast member but that spot almost demands it. RWC could do it right. Build it like the King's Island construction crew did. Send it out into the woods following the terrain of the land. 

Third choice would be to demolition that Backlot Stunt Coaster turd also. That would open a lot of area they could revamp. Then perhaps a wing coaster could be built and travel in a way that won't require any messing up the trees around The Beast. 

I'm still trying to to process The Vortex is done. It's been there nearly my entire King's Island attending life. I've lived around the corner in Mason since I was born. I first went there in 84. The year they built King Cobra. I was only 4 so I hung out in Hanna-Barbara riding The Beastie and the Smurf ride. The Cobra was a big deal tho. Three years later Vortex would become a very big deal. It was had multiple records and firsts. Sure, it had got a bit rickety over the last 33 years but she could have made it to 35. 

It is my understanding they intend The Vortex to be gone by the start of Winterfest. That's in 10 days. I do not know the current status as of this writing. The weather has turned nasty. If any of you guys or gals have updates please share. 

• Like 4

Just now, Vyle80r said:

It would be a shame if the relationship soured between Cedar Fair and RMC. RMC has certainly done a fantastic job refitting coasters with their track system. I've only ridden Twisted Timbers, New Texas Giant, and Steel Vengeance. All three are amazing.

The three rides I mentioned above utilize the I-Box track so I have no ride experience with RMC's topper track. If anybody does I'd be interested in your opinions of it. I'm left to speculate that the topper track probably feels mostly if, not exactly, like a typical wooden coaster. 

I was really interested in how Zadra would turn out being RMC's first coaster they designed and built from the ground up. I don't think I will ever get to visit Poland to ride it myself but the reviews I've read have been very positive. That's a big milestone for RMC. 

As for my thoughts on what might occupy the land in and around Vortex, I'm not sure. The area of land Vortex covers is not that large. I'd have to trust those who have posted estimates on here as to the size plus the size of the surrounding area. 

I know some things that I'd like to maybe see happen. My first choice would be to not expand that area at all. Simply remove Vortex and build a Gerstlauer Euro-fighter in that spot. They are always built custom per-job and that is adequate room for really fun ride like that. 

Second choice would be a RMC monster that would be a part of The Beast family; Sister of, Brother of, Drunk Ass Uncle of, you get the point. Normally I'd be against another Beast member but that spot almost demands it. RWC could do it right. Build it like the King's Island construction crew did. Send it out into the woods following the terrain of the land. 

Third choice would be to demolition that Backlot Stunt Coaster turd also. That would open a lot of area they could revamp. Then perhaps a wing coaster could be built and travel in a way that won't require any messing up the trees around The Beast. 

I'm still trying to to process The Vortex is done. It's been there nearly my entire King's Island attending life. I've lived around the corner in Mason since I was born. I first went there in 84. The year they built King Cobra. I was only 4 so I hung out in Hanna-Barbara riding The Beastie and the Smurf ride. The Cobra was a big deal tho. Three years later Vortex would become a very big deal. It was had multiple records and firsts. Sure, it had got a bit rickety over the last 33 years but she could have made it to 35. 

It is my understanding they intend The Vortex to be gone by the start of Winterfest. That's in 10 days. I do not know the current status as of this writing. The weather has turned nasty. If any of you guys or gals have updates please share. 

I apologize that post was so long. I just started writing, got nostalgic, then unsuccessfully tried to tie it up at the end. 

If I could add one more thing not to replace Vortex but an addition to Coney Mall, add a Tilt-A-Whirl. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DeltaFlyer said:

Twisted Timbers valleyed while I was at KD on it’s opening weekend in 2018- is that the type of breaking in problems you’re talking about?

That is probably a little worse than the usual breaking-in problems, but I think Twisted Timbers is more reliable now.

On 11/11/2019 at 1:18 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

I am thinking a nice sized RMC would look great in that area!

I don't wanna steal the thunder, but I personally wouldn't want an RMC at the park. RMC coasters to me just don't feel.....(trying to find the right words for this)....Kings Island enough......

9 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Honestly, I probably would. But I still think that RMC doesn't really go with Kings Island.

Care to elaborate more on why it is not King’s Island enough?? I am fine with KI not getting a RMC for their next coaster but it would be a real shame if they didn’t get one eventually. Now with Vortex gone I feel like they need to replace it with something along the same line. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

And what about an RMC doesn't go with KI? Kings Dominion is very similar to KI in many ways and they have an RMC and it fits fine. 

Just now, Hueney020 said:

Care to elaborate more on why it is not King’s Island enough?? I am fine with KI not getting a RMC for their next coaster but it would be a real shame if they didn’t get one eventually. Now with Vortex gone I feel like they need to replace it with something along the same line. 

Im not trying to be lazy saying this, but.... I just feel that an RMC styled coaster doesn't fit with Kings Island....... I just can't explain it:unsure:.....

Actually....now that I think about it.....let me rephrase what I'm saying. I think at some point, Kings Island should get an RMC. But I do not think that a future RMC should take Vortex's place. My thinking says an RMC should go either in Area 72 OR Oktoberfest (as sort of a resurrected Bavarian Beetle or some German themed ride). I think that Vortex's land would better suit a few new flat rides or maybe another steel roller coaster. But overall, I think if Kings Island was to get an RMC, putting it in Vortex's space to me wouldn't be the best option.

Also, what are you guys? RMC Fanboys? :lol::D

I apologize that post was so long. I just started writing, got nostalgic, then unsuccessfully tried to tie it up at the end. 
If I could add one more thing not to replace Vortex but an addition to Coney Mall, add a Tilt-A-Whirl. 

And Coney Island just happens to have one for sale too! LOL

• Like 4