Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex

Klabergian Empire

I personally think the land is better used to add/expand Coney and Rivertown OR some sort of flat ride(s) and a roller coaster similar to Vortex. Im not asking for an exact replica of Vortex, just something of its style. Loops and corksrews. Now that Vortex is (pretty much) gone, the only inverting coasters in the park are Invertigo, Banshee, and FoF. Something with a classic coaster look with loops (and an original layout) would be an amazing fit for that area. Please note that I am not saying that an RMC shouldn't come to Kings Island. I know that at some point or another, the park will get an RMC. Just I don't think an RMC is what should be stuck in Vortex's old spot.

Two areas I deem fitting for an RMC would be Area 72 and Oktoberfest. Oktoberfest hasn't gotten a ride since (I believe) Sling Shot in 2002 or A.E. since 1991. And if Kings Island wants to get on the Area 72 train with some steam in it, I would imagine and RMC would fit nicely on the other side of Orion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Klabergian Empire said:

I personally think the land is better used to add/expand Coney and Rivertown OR some sort of flat ride(s) and a roller coaster similar to Vortex. Im not asking for an exact replica of Vortex, just something of its style. Loops and corksrews. Now that Vortex is (pretty much) gone, the only inverting coasters in the park are Invertigo, Banshee, and FoF. Something with a classic coaster look with loops (and an original layout) would be an amazing fit for that area. Please note that I am not saying that an RMC shouldn't come to Kings Island. I know that at some point or another, the park will get an RMC. Just I don't think an RMC is what should be stuck in Vortex's old spot.

Two areas I deem fitting for an RMC would be Area 72 and Oktoberfest. Oktoberfest hasn't gotten a ride since (I believe) Sling Shot in 2002 or A.E. since 1991. And if Kings Island wants to get on the Area 72 train with some steam in it, I would imagine and RMC would fit nicely on the other side of Orion.

The only way I could see an RMC in Oktoberfest is if they removed Adventure Express (also known on here as breaking the 11th commandment lol). I don't think an RMC would fit too well with the flight/space theme of Area 72. That's just my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

The only way I could see an RMC in Oktoberfest is if they removed Adventure Express (also known on here as breaking the 11th commandment lol). I don't think an RMC would fit too well with the flight/space theme of Area 72. That's just my opinion. 

3otah4.jpg

(Image source: visitkingsisland.com. Modified with: imgflip.com. Hotel: Trivago.)

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

On 11/11/2019 at 7:54 PM, FUN&ONLY! said:

I have heard on Reddit that RailBlazer has a few structural weak points where the trains are exerting a lot of unwanted stress on the structure. Steel Vengeance is putting a lot of wear on the structure as well, and Cedar Point is having a hard time keeping up with maintenance. Twisted Timbers actually seems like it is the better of the three, but it still has the phone and metal detector problems that Steel Vengeance has. I don’t think Cedar Fair is willing work with RMC again until they can come up with a solid phone policy where the line still moves quickly. Also, according to some people on Reddit, the problems with Steel Vengeance have caused RMC’s and Cedar Fair’s relationship to decline. I cannot find exactly where all of this was originally said, but I found this post that has some pretty good comments worth reading farther down!

Their Retracking it for the 2020 season.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MrSourNinja said:

If we are going launch I’d rather go intamin with a beyond vertical drop. That start to maverick has you standing up in your seat. Especially compared to the catastrophe that was west coast racers. Not opposed to any of the three but that is my preference.  

Gerstlauer counts as well.

• Like 3

On 2/11/2020 at 10:39 PM, Rivertown Rider said:

It will be interesting to see if they widen the pathways with Vortex being gone. 

The area back by WindSeeker has needed some more space but that should be less of an issue this year since Vortex exit traffic won't be happening anymore.

If the park intends to keep the old Bat/Vortex station, then I don't see them widening any paths. I do agree that they need to widen it and that that area of the park would look a lot better, but only time will tell if they keep the Station.

2 minutes ago, CedarFairFan787 said:

If the park intends to keep the old Bat/Vortex station, then I don't see them widening any paths. I do agree that they need to widen it and that that area of the park would look a lot better, but only time will tell if they keep the Station.

They tore down the station a couple weeks ago

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2019 at 8:52 PM, LintemuthStudios said:

X to doubt any dive coaster rumors. There's already one right up the road in Sandusky.

Cedar Point and Kings Island pull from very different markets. Market overlay is very minimal. In other words, what exists at one park has almost zero to do with what is available at the other. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Sixflags82 said:

They tore down the station a couple weeks ago

Oh! I seem to have completely missed that fact. Thank you for correcting me. But with this new information that has been presented to me, I definitely think that we will be seeing some path widening, possibly with some new pavers like what they did with International Street for the 2019 season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CedarFairFan787 said:

Oh! I seem to have completely missed that fact. Thank you for correcting me. But with this new information that has been presented to me, I definitely think that we will be seeing some path widening, possibly with some new pavers like what they did with International Street for the 2019 season.

Chances are you might even see a minor expansion to the Mall.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CedarFairFan787 said:

Do you think WindSeeker will get anything new around it if the mall were to be expanded back there? Perhaps not for the 2020 season, but in the near future.

I could see a minor expansion of the mall tbh. Its mere speculation as to what would go there, but I could see it happening.

• Like 2

I honestly think Vortex’s plot of land would be perfect for a massive Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster. It would be a perfect fit and look so good up along the midway like Vortex did. They can even give it a KCL light package like Hangtime to make it look even better at night. My only concern is that it would be too low capacity, but maybe they can resolve that with a dual loading station. For those who have ridden Hangtime or a similar Gerstlauer, how was it?

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I honestly think Vortex’s plot of land would be perfect for a massive Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster. It would be a perfect fit and look so good up along the midway like Vortex did. They can even give it a KCL light package like Hangtime to make it look even better. My only concern is that it would be too low capacity, but maybe they can resolve that with a dual loading station.

I could not agree more! An infinity coaster would retain the 48” height requirement, provide a unique thrilling ride, and be wonderfully photogenic. It also couldn’t really be compared to anything else in the region (mystery mine is a totally different experience than I’m picturing).

I would love a heartline roll out of the station, a vertical lift, a beyond vertical drop, a midcourse rolling launch, and a bunch of inversions! I believe 9 or 10 inversions would take the North American record too.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I'd love an infinity. My biggest question is what could they theme it to? I don't know of any themes that could fit with Coney Mall that could fit with something like that and it's light package.

Theme it to a classic amusement park if that makes sense, this to me, would've been the perfect ride to be named The Ledge, but Cedar Fair dropped that trademark. 

edit: actually The Ledge is still active. https://trademark.trademarkia.com/the-ledge-87431876.html

• Like 2

It seems pretty clear at this point that they want to leave all physical traces of Vortex in the past, which is a decision that I can respect. While it does still bum me out a bit I can understand the importance for Cedar Fair to move forward with the park's layout. My only concern in the short/medium term is how all of this is going to effect The Beast. I do think Vortex being gone is eventually going to give it even better isolation, I really hope they can do something to accommodate for that deforestation until they can get some proper tree cover back there again. I do miss Vortex, but I've always gotta look after my Number 1.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Sooo are we allowed to share stuff from reddit or not? @IndyGuy4KI

Links to Reddit threads are grey areas for us as a organization, but ultimately we are not displaying or hosting the media against KIs rules. So we permit it as we can. Displaying as a link over embedding is always helpful as well.

• Like 2