Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex

Klabergian Empire

12 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

From the picture it looks like the front entrance ground is tore up. It looks like it is all dirt. Could be just the angle but looks strange. 

Edit- actually I looked at the drone footage and it looks like they have brand new concrete at the entrance. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

For those who have ridden Hangtime or a similar Gerstlauer, how was it?

I actually didn't really enjoy it. There was a weird shuffling throughout the ride, and there was one bad transition that had frontward-backward jolt that slammed my head into the headrest. It was pretty disappointing, even with no expectations going in.

• Like 1

Looking at the picture on Reddit since most of the trees were removed already I hope the park fills in the hole and brings it up to be level with the surrounding land.  Build a new path from The Beast Plaza and connect it to WindSeeker.  Build a new entrance for Backlot Stunt Coaster which based on where the queue is located could be easily done.  Finally remove the existing path as part of an expansion.  The only item which would need to be removed is the basketball game, all of the bathrooms, restaurants, buildings etc are built facing the other pathways which would not be modified.  Opens up a massive amount of land in a prime location in the park.

The hardest part is filling in the hole, and if I remember correctly they did something similar to build Firehawk.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

Unpopular opinion: If a coaster were to be placed on The Vortex plot, I would love to see a new Vekoma custom looper go there. Keep the classic feel but give an updated/smoother ride. Although I do not see CF working with Vekoma again or any time soon.

You had me until "keep the classic feel" haha. Vekoma has been doing anything but 'classic' in the way I think you mean. Vekoma would be a strong choice. I have heard good things about their rebirth in Europe the past few years. Looks to achieve many inversions, strong air, and exciting layouts all with smoothness and no headbanging :)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

I’m surprised this is the only video to leak out so far, and that it took this long! I hope we see more soon.

Because there was an internal order not to share pictures or videos of The Vortex work-site, or taking parts of the ride as it was a resume generating event if you were caught.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I've keep looking at the little midway between the old Vortex spot and BLSC and think it would be reworked. 

If you relocate the 3 point challenge somewhere else in the park and cut into a chunk of the underused BLSC plaza, you could add a flat or two and really take advantage of the abundant space.

What sort of flats could the park really make use of at this point? We've already got several rides that spin you really fast, two tower rides, a pirate ship and bumper cars. I'm sure there are other flats out there that would be unique. The issue is that a lot of the more interesting flat rides are either on their way out or already extinct. Anybody know if either of those S&S Sky Swats survived to the present day in some capacity?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

What sort of flats could the park really make use of at this point? We've already got several rides that spin you really fast, two tower rides, a pirate ship and bumper cars. I'm sure there are other flats out there that would be unique. The issue is that a lot of the more interesting flat rides are either on their way out or already extinct. Anybody know if either of those S&S Sky Swats survived to the present day in some capacity?

I think an S&S Scream and Swing would be a good choice for a thrilling flat.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

They could bring back Der Spinnen Keggers and the Rotor. Just to name a few prime examples.

• Like 3

There are plenty of flats that we could add that would be great for the park and are still made.  In no particular order:

More family type flats: Tilt a whirl, Musik Express, Teacups/Keggers type spinner, a Seastorm type ride, something like Moose on the Loose

More extreme flats: Screamin' Swing, Top Scan, Skyroller, Zamperla Hawk 48

Obviously these are just a few, but I think the success of the Antiques shows that there is certainly an audience for flats.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

What sort of flats could the park really make use of at this point?

I think Kings Islands flat ride collection is rather small for a park of its size, not to mention almost every flat ride is located in Action Zone or Coney Mall. Some flat rides I’d like to be see added are...

• S&S Screamin Swing, best flat ride in the world imo, it’d fit nicely in TRTR plot of land 
  • Flying Canoes, this is a small family ride that Canada’s Wonderland has recently added, I think it’d fit nicely in river town 
  • Mondial Top Scan, a high trill flat ride, it’d fit nicely into the parks flat ride lineup 
  • Zamperla Hawk, another nice high trill flat ride, if it got a similar ride skin to Lumber Jack @ CW then it’d fit nicely into River Town 
  • If it was possible (but I doubt it is) if Der Spinnin Kergs & Fly Dutchman we’re added back to Oktoberfest that area of the park would feel significantly better 

I’m sure there’s lots of other great options out there but these were some options that I think are realistic to some degree, I hope the park does add more flat rides because atm KI only has 3 high thrill, non-upcharge rides.

• Like 4

Yes, I agree we need more thrilling and family flats.  But I guess there is only so much budget to go around as far as maintaining and having trained crews.  Not 100% sure, but I think it was a concentrated effort to have a world class kids section instead of a more full flat lineup.  Not that there is anything wrong with the flats we have . . definitely top of the line rides.  Just a smaller lineup compared to some other parks.

I am not trying to dish on KI, I think its definitely one of the best regional park anywhere.  I just walk around and think right here or there would be a great place for a flat.

Also, I think KI is the most clean and well run park I have ever visited.  The staff across the board is second to none.

• Like 2

Recently, I found this channel and it is really cool. I don't know if it is even allowed by the park, but its still kinda cool. I was just browsing YouTube when I found this.

This is the link to his videos vvv

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOUImboMtuU-LUQPIMoFaSg/videos

vvv And in this video, it really shows Vortex's plot of land. I thought it was really kinda cool to see the land we will hopefully be working with within the next couple years for a potential new coaster. vvv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK2DAIHxncw&t=37s

I really hope this guy got permission to fly over like this, because this is really awesome if he did. I recommend checking out all of his KI videos because they really show some cool stuff that you can't see on the live cams:lol:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rivertown Rider said:

image.png

As others have said, by just removing the 3 point challenge, you could easily put another flat there.  In addition, the spot on the other side of the Diner would a great place for a flat as well.

If they wanted to also, they could add flats on the paths towards the Eiffel Tower.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Benjamin22 said:

I think Kings Islands flat ride collection is rather small for a park of its size, not to mention almost every flat ride is located in Action Zone or Coney Mall. Some flat rides I’d like to be see added are...

• S&S Screamin Swing, best flat ride in the world imo, it’d fit nicely in TRTR plot of land 
  • Flying Canoes, this is a small family ride that Canada’s Wonderland has recently added, I think it’d fit nicely in river town 
  • Mondial Top Scan, a high trill flat ride, it’d fit nicely into the parks flat ride lineup 
  • Zamperla Hawk, another nice high trill flat ride, if it got a similar ride skin to Lumber Jack @ CW then it’d fit nicely into River Town 
  • If it was possible (but I doubt it is) if Der Spinnin Kergs & Fly Dutchman we’re added back to Oktoberfest that area of the park would feel significantly better 

I’m sure there’s lots of other great options out there but these were some options that I think are realistic to some degree, I hope the park does add more flat rides because atm KI only has 3 high thrill, non-upcharge rides.

This x1000.  Rode Skyhawk last season at Cedar Point for the first time, and it was without a doubt the single best flat ride experience of my life!!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Klabergian Empire said:

If they wanted to also, they could add flats on the paths towards the Eiffel Tower.

I’ve always thought right on the path directly across from Dodgem and the Skyline patio would be a great place for a Giant Wheel, like the Geauga one that KD got

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Unless it is really worn out pirate ships are great family flat that doesn’t spin.  
Fun Fact: we have never been on VF or Ocean Motion. I think the boys rode one at SFSTL once when they were much younger much younger and I guess didn’t really like it.  

I used to be obsessed with Viking Fury years ago. I remember that would be one of the rides we would hit in order to end out the day. A local carnival in Maineville (that no longer takes place) one year had a swinging ship carnival ride. I didn't ride it though because for some reason I was scared. I also rode the swinging ship they had at Ober Gatlinburg years ago. 

• Like 4