Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex

Klabergian Empire

Not really about The Vortex area, but here is an interesting statement from a recent article about something Chad said. Doesn't mean that we are definitely getting our next big attraction in 3-4 years, but I find this statement interesting.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.daytondailynews.com/news/local/kings-island-opening-will-finally-debut-the-planet-seventh-giga-coaster-orion/bdZjVYXYvMvGLmdRISozaK/amp.html

2020-06-16_22.09.46.jpg

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Not really about The Vortex area, but here is an interesting statement from a recent article about something Chad said. Doesn't mean that we are definitely getting our next big attraction in 3-4 years, but I find this statement interesting.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.daytondailynews.com/news/local/kings-island-opening-will-finally-debut-the-planet-seventh-giga-coaster-orion/bdZjVYXYvMvGLmdRISozaK/amp.html

2020-06-16_22.09.46.jpg

This is interesting. I do think the park will add a new rollercoaster sooner than some are thinking because after COVID-19, they are going to need to bring back lost guests. It will probably take a large addition in 3-4 years to bring back these guests.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

This is interesting. I do think the park will add a new rollercoaster sooner than some are thinking because after COVID-19, they are going to need to bring back lost guests. It will probably take a large addition in 3-4 years to bring back these guests.

After the SARS outbreak in the early 2000s, Canada's Wonderland (Paramount) added 2 coasters back to back to get park attendance back up. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

2020-06-16_22.09.46.jpg

I mean if you look at the trend, we're typically a 3-5 year park when it comes to coasters. Under Cedar Fair we got coasters in 2007, 2009, 2014, 2017, and 2020 with the biggest gap being between Diamondback and Banshee which didn't seem like a long time. Heck we had a pretty good quantity during the Paramount era. Kings Island's in a pretty demanding market so they have to get a few new coasters every decade where other parks don't.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Shameless self plug warning.  I started off on this project as just a generic Mack Impulse.  Trying to come up with a name along the way, I decided to name it Flight Commander after the KI Flat (it's just a dope name, too).  After I had the name, I wished that something like this would take Vortex's land.  I didn't follow Vortex's terrain; nor did I try to fit it into the same plot size since it was an after thought.  Nonetheless..... Enjoy?

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

I just want a flyer done right. I liked Firehawk and B&M builds good ones I hear.

I hated Firehawk, don't think I like flyer types myself. I just like things with extreme pressure, like maverick and steel vengeance myself. hope we get a maverick clone 

3 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I love B&M flyers. Although with the recent leaving of Firehawk, I doubt it would happen, but I would love one at KI. 

If anything, the park might be wanting to install something similar to fill the void. A launched B&M wing might be an option. Different enough from GateKeeper and gives the park another launched coaster.

The biggest gap the Kings Island has their lineup right now is the lack of a large scale multi inverting coaster. Vortex gave us 6 inversions so it would be nice to have a coaster that would make those up somehow. We're also lacking a modern multi launch coaster but personally I would not want to combine a multi launch and a multi inverting coaster just yet. I might be the minority but I prefer traditional chain lift loopers. I feel like when you combine coasters, you limit the opportunity of possible additions down the road. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

The biggest gap the Kings Island has their lineup right now is the lack of a large scale multi inverting coaster. Vortex gave us 6 inversions so it would be nice to have a coaster that would make those up somehow. We're also lacking a modern multi launch coaster but personally I would not want to combine a multi launch and a multi inverting coaster just yet. I might be the minority but I prefer traditional chain lift loopers. I feel like when you combine coasters, you limit the opportunity of possible additions down the road. 

What about Banshee? Or FoF?

On 6/28/2020 at 4:14 PM, SonofBaconator said:

I wish they made a flyer with a wing coaster layout. Imagine GateKeeper's layout but made as a flying coaster, that overdrop would be insane

Kings Island is the biggest park without a modern entry plaza, I would love to see them do a B&M flyer worked into a new entry plaza like Fury 325 at Carowinds or GateKeeper at Cedar Point.  Fly right by the guests entering like Manta at Sea World.

As far as what should go in Vortex's old space I would love to see something similar to Mystery Mine at Dollywood, we need a good themed indoor/outdoor coaster that is just plain fun.

• Like 3