Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex

Klabergian Empire

^If the parks sees a good potential ROI for building something in a certain spot regardless of the issues, than it really doesn't matter that much, right?

I mean, that pretty much explains every ride ever made in the history of amusement parks. 

A little soil problem won't stop them from building in Action Zone again.  

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

^If the parks sees a good potential ROI for building something in a certain spot regardless of the issues, than it really doesn't matter that much, right?

I mean, that pretty much explains every ride ever made in the history of amusement parks. 

A little soil problem won't stop them from building in Action Zone again.  

Yes, but if a 5 million dollar ride requires 10 million worth of alterations to the surrounding area, is it worth the cost?

• Like 2

Not like the park will have to dig everything up and replace it with reinforced earth. Just gotta make the footers bigger/deeper. They likely will want to avoid a repeat of Banshee's rattle when the next one comes along, so I think we can expect future coasters to have a stronger base. Maybe a manufacturer will come up with a new innovation that significantly reduces rattling by modifying the trains or track somehow. Could a more flexible, but durable track work perhaps?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, IceePirate said:

Not like the park will have to dig everything up and replace it with reinforced earth. Just gotta make the footers bigger/deeper. They likely will want to avoid a repeat of Banshee's rattle when the next one comes along, so I think we can expect future coasters to have a stronger base. Maybe a manufacturer will come up with a new innovation that significantly reduces rattling by modifying the trains or track somehow. Could a more flexible, but durable track work perhaps?

I really don't think the rattle has anything to do with soil. Valravn's rattle is pretty terrible, and Cedar Point's soil is definitely not like Kings Island's.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KIghostguy said:

I really don't think the rattle has anything to do with soil. Valravn's rattle is pretty terrible, and Cedar Point's soil is definitely not like Kings Island's.

I feel like it has to be the ground or how the footers were installed. It's not like B&M changes their track every time it goes in at a park, the only real factor that changes is the ground and footers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Then what would they do with The Vortex land? It can't just be a massive hole forever. I kinda think a FF type attraction, but that would be kinda hard to do with the terrain there. 

The Vortex plot is situated in between some of the most popular rides in the park (Orion, Diamondback, Mystic Timbers, and The Beast), so a new major ride in the middle of these rides would just add the traffic in Coney Mall and Rivertown. I have noticed that Coney Mall and Rivertown are consistently more crowded than Action Zone and that is because the majority of guests’ favorite rides are in the back left sections of the park. Banshee still draws lines, but most people just ride it once and leave the area. In my opinion, Action Zone just needs a new standout attraction, more scenery, and new food offerings. Coney Mall and Rivertown just offer so much more for families to relax and hang out compared to Action Zone. Also Coney Mall has many ride for the whole family, Rivertown has Planet Snoopy nearby, but Action Zone really only has The Bat for the whole family to enjoy, and I think it could really benefit from some small family rides.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, coaster sally said:

No one really cares about "longest inverted coaster".

I do.  Banshee's media day was my first visit to KI.  It's one of my favorites, particularly the use of the terrain and how much less rough it is than Raptor.  Not quite 100% smooth anymore but still a great ride.

10 minutes ago, raggedman07 said:

how can ki be run so much better when cp is in charge?

CP is not the owners of KI.  That's Cedar Fair, the HQ of which is located at CP.  As you mentioned, they don't seem to have a good handle on the park's operations, despite literally having an office building just outside the park.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

Regards to Vortex site, the ride that needs to go in there is the largest available ride, not the ride that best suits the KI coaster collection.

I don't see how that makes sense... So by your logic, KI just has to get the biggest thing they can to fill that spot? I can think of several large rides that I don't want going into that spot that could be available. Can't the largest available ride also be one that best suits our coaster collection? If I'm the park and I'm going to spend millions of dollars on a coaster, I'm going to make sure it fits in well with the other rides around the park.

3 hours ago, coaster sally said:

No one really cares about "longest inverted coaster".

Many people do. The park has a knack for breaking length records in some degree. We currently have more coasters that exceed a mile in length than any other park in the chain. This is a Kings Island fansite, if you don't have anything nice to say on here then why do you post?

25 minutes ago, raggedman07 said:

Well their "flagship" park is pretty crap...they have ONE thing...SteVe...and the park is so poorly managed it's not even worth going to try to get a ride on it.

Poorly managed? How so? The park is recognized globally as one of the best parks in the world. Steel Vengeance is the only thing at CP? So Millennium Force, Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster, GateKeeper, and Valravn aren't thrilling enough?

• Like 5

8 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I don't see how that makes sense... So by your logic, KI just has to get the biggest thing they can to fill that spot? I can think of several large rides that I don't want going into that spot that could be available. Can't the largest available ride also be one that best suits our coaster collection? If I'm the park and I'm going to spend millions of dollars on a coaster, I'm going to make sure it fits in well with the other rides around the park.

Many people do. The park has a knack for breaking length records in some degree. We currently have more coasters that exceed a mile in length than any other park in the chain. This is a Kings Island fansite, if you don't have anything nice to say on here then why do you post?

Poorly managed? How so? The park is recognized globally as one of the best parks in the world. Steel Vengeance is the only thing at CP? So Millennium Force, Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster, GateKeeper, and Valravn aren't thrilling enough?

Because she is mean Sally

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

As many times I have been to Cedar Point, I would have to say this may be a small issue.  I have seen Cedar Point to be a line creator.  Now, that being said, let me explain, it appears that rides do not open completely (not all trains running) until lines are several minutes long.  It seems that every time we have been, there are coasters not operating, possibly from lack of operators.  To me, that is poor management.  I understand that hiring is an issue, but the hiring is a management problem.  There are people smarter than me that know how to figure that out.  

Now, as I have bashed CP for some things, I as I spoke of my experience and opinion, CP is a great place to visit.  It has some great coasters, and is a fun park to be at.  I love Maverick.  I enjoy GateKeeper, and the others are good as well.  CP is a beautiful park in my eyes.  I love being on the lake and the views from the park can be amazing.  Just my 2 cents.  (I had them saved and did not run out)

• Like 4

9 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

All those rides are great..but none of them are why I go...there are as good or better rides anywhere else...steve, not so much.... unfortunately I never enjoy being at Cedar Point...but yet I always enjoy being at Kings Island..

I dont go there looking to be dissapointed...I just always am...

They can't count well enough to figure out capacities, they can't keep their rides operating, and vast swaths of the park smell of sewage...these are management problems

There's a better guest experience at lakemont

• Like 2

As someone who's worked at Cedar Point before, the only operational issues I've noticed are staffing, the fact that they're landlocked, and their Intamins. A chunk of their employees aren't from the immediate area which can be an issue from an operations standpoint. Furthermore, the fact that they're on a peninsula makes it difficult to get everyone in the park during busy times like memorial day weekend, 4th of July, Halloweekends, etc. Their causeway can only hold so many cars which I can understand is an issue. They don't have the land that KI has which is problematic but its not like they can just build more land. Its unfortunate but that's how it is. In response to their rides being down, they do have 5 Intamins which are known for downtime. Unfortunately those are the rides that people are most eager to ride so it does create a lot of issues when they have to go down for maintenance. This is why you see the park getting more B&Ms to fill those gaps if the Intamins can't operate. Cedar Point is one of those parks that you have to stay for more than one day to fully enjoy. Additionally depending on when you go more or less defines your experience. For example, I'd wouldn't be going on a holiday, holiday weekend, or just a weekend in general. If you go on a Tuesday/Wednesday, Wednesday/Thursday, or Thursday/Friday you're much better off. I think every park has their operational issues and sometimes people tend to notice things more when they go to a park like Cedar Point where they expect things to run smoother.

• Like 5

I think if nothing is coming in a while, I would want to see grass planted. Having that land look dry and bare would be an eyesore for anyone who walks past or is in the Eiffel Tower. 

vtx.PNG

I talked earlier about widening/reworking the path between Coney Mall and Rivertown. I had an idea but I don't know how feasible it would be. Could the park relocate BLSC's entrance to somewhere near its switchbacks in the bottom of the picture? You all ready see where the old Antique Car entrance is next to the switchbacks so that could make a suitable entrance I think. I always see people cutting through from Rivertown anyway. The 3 point challenge could be relocated and the plaza could get demolished and reworked into a larger pathway that could maybe accommodate a flat ride or just extra space.

Notice the trees in the picture between the arcade and The Beast, could that be used as an entrance for a new ride? Sure it might be tight but its still a possibility.

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I think if nothing is coming in a while, I would want to see grass planted. Having that land look dry and bare would be an eyesore for anyone who walks past or is in the Eiffel Tower. 

vtx.PNG

I talked earlier about widening/reworking the path between Coney Mall and Rivertown. I had an idea but I don't know how feasible it would be. Could the park relocate BLSC's entrance to somewhere near its switchbacks in the bottom of the picture? You all ready see where the old Antique Car entrance is next to the switchbacks so that could make a suitable entrance I think. I always see people cutting through from Rivertown anyway. The 3 point challenge could be relocated and the plaza could get demolished and reworked into a larger pathway that could maybe accommodate a flat ride or just extra space.

Notice the trees in the picture between the arcade and The Beast, could that be used as an entrance for a new ride? Sure it might be tight but its still a possibility.

I think it would be better if they gut out the arcade and put the entrance in there and have some switchbacks in there with some nice wild west theming. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

That's what the yellow is, they sodded the ground for grass to grow. You'll green there in a few months

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BeastieFanatic said:

no theyre not going to build a hospital there but if they did, it would be pretty rad, It would be short trip from Adventure Express to the hospital so I can get spinal surgery immediately after

My dude I spit out my chocolate milk that so funny. I mean why would they buuild a big hospital right there because isn't the a Christ hospital near King's island all ready?????

• Like 4