Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex

Klabergian Empire

11 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

All RMC Raptors are when you get down to basics are standard sit down steel looping coasters that use tighter angles for stronger forces and reinforced track for less use of supports.   

Also, I would consider a height or speed record to be somewhat groundbreaking- its the way they design a coaster to do it that fits in a realistic ROI scenario, and so far, the 3 recent examples are TTD and KK (clones with a hill added in KK) and Formula Rossa which is just a bunch of wide turns and stretched out hills. 

What about the proposed 410' intamin with a cable lift that was proposed at heide Park in 2001?

3 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

There have been rumors for a while now that RMC has shelved the T-Rex model due to a probable lack of demand from parks. The model would be very expensive, and it would basically be competing head-on with B&M’s and Intamin’s. There is a lot more competition for the T-Rex than for the Raptor and Hybrid models. From a parks perspective, they would rather spend nearly the same money on a B&M hyper that is a proven model, crown pleaser, and a very high capacity ride.

I think RMC has done a good job undercutting companies like B&M, Mack, and Intamin with their raptors, hybrids, and woodies. I think they're in trouble if they don't do something with their raptor model seeing as Intamin took the idea and added a launch aspect to it. Also I see them doing more over seas work like with Zadra.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SOBwasaSOB said:

But can be buit as high and go as fast ad the parks wanna build rhem for a fraction of the intamin costs.  Breaking 500ft is pretty incredible.

Edit:  never thought I would say this but I would kill for a new Vekoma too.

When we go to Europe we are going to ride lech coaster!

• Like 1

Just now, SonofBaconator said:

I think RMC has done a good job undercutting companies like B&M, Mack, and Intamin with their raptors, hybrids, and woodies. I think they're in trouble if they don't do something with their raptor model seeing as Intamin took the idea and added a launch aspect to it

I agree that RMC has made a niche market with their Raptors and Hybrids that other manufacturers can’t compete with. When you get to the T-Rex, however, there is a lot more competition when it comes to other mega coasters. There was not really any competition when RMC began selling Hybrids and Raptors, but there will be competition with the T-Rex from the get-go.

2 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I'll be honest, the 'new' concepts by Intamin might be the most desperate thing I've seen out of a ride company.  

I felt the same way, but I think Airtime Thrills said it best. He said it encourages competition. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattering after all. If I'm Premier, Mack, or RMC, I know my product is doing a good job if other companies are trying to knock me off.

5 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

I dont know b&m copied the wing coaster nearly a decade later and used a lsm launch that had been available for nearly 20 years.  Talk about desperate.

It is not uncommon for manufacturers to take inspiration other manufacturers. You could say that Intamin and Vekoma both ripped off B&M with their own inverted coasters. You could also say that MACK Rides ripped off Intamin with their multi-launch coasters. These models became more prevalent as many manufacturers took to producing them, and I think the same thing will happen with the single rail model in that many companies will develop their own versions.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

It is not uncommon for manufacturers to take inspiration other manufacturers. You could say that Intamin and Vekoma both ripped off B&M with their own inverted coasters. You could also say that MACK Rides ripped off Intamin with their multi-launch coasters. These models became more prevalent as many manufacturers took to producing them, and I think the same thing will happen with the single rail model in that many companies will develop their own versions.

It was a response to @silver2005

With B&M, I know their track record and they know they can deliver concepts with decent long term quality.

When I see Intamin and their poorer track record taking in 4 concepts that have been done before at the same time, it looks to me they're clinging to relevancy. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

With B&M, I know their track record and they know they can deliver concepts with decent long term quality.

When I see Intamin and their poorer track record taking in 4 concepts that have been done before at the same time, it looks to me they're clinging to relevancy. 

Or just expanding their ride catalog?  Those models are nothing to write home about, but still pretty cool.

What about b&m attempting a multi launch with the surf coaster?

Just because you have an ax to grind.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I see what @silver2005 was saying. Intamin's responsible for rides like Xcelerator, Maverick, Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, Kingda Ka, El Toro, etc. Heck, their rapid switch track coasters look so promising and reminiscent of what made them popular to begin with. To have them go from those innovative masterpieces to making blatant knockoffs of current, small scale coaster models like power splashes and sky rockets is pretty funny. 

In response to the Surf Coaster, I don't see that as copying or knocking off since B&M avoided the launched game for so long and literally almost every manufacturer has a launched coaster on their product list.

• Like 3

Ax to grind?  Hardly.  I wish Intamin was in a better position.  I rather like a lot of their rides. Innovation isn't as big an issue with me as is ride quality and experience.   I just don't think they're capable of digging themselves out of the whole they're in with all the issues they've accumulated.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, silver2005 said:

Ax to grind?  Hardly.  I wish Intamin was in a better position.  I rather like a lot of their rides.  I just don't think they're capable of digging themselves out of the whole they're in with all the issues they've accumulated.  

Maybe they're trying to build back up their track record by knocking off tried and true models.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Sally/Brian is very loyal to Intamin.  I've seen her/his debates on other platforms.  You won't change her/his mind.

I like many Intamin rides.  But the safety and reliability is questionable.  I'm glad we have reliable Intamins at KI in the ET/WWC and for the most part, Viking Fury.

I was upset when Volcano was demo'd.  It was one of my favorites.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BeeastFarmer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I like many Intamin rides.  But the safety and reliability is questionable.  I'm glad we have reliable Intamins at KI in the ET/WWC and for the most part, Viking Fury.

I was upset when Volcano was demo'd.  It was one of my favorites.  

Drop Tower is also an Intamin. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

We're talking about the same company that screwed up a log flume, one of the most basic of ride concepts.  I don't have a lot of trust in a ride company like that. 

I think having too big of a portfolio is a bad thing. Have you ever went to a restaurant that has like a 7 page menu? The food is often bad. 

Intamin has made wooden coasters, steel coasters, flat rides, water rides, tower rides, the list goes on. When you have a portfolio that large, you're bound to be stretched thin somewhere. 

Some of the better companies have a formula they stand by. Even companies like Mack who branch out have worked hard to perfect their product.

• Like 3

I'm just curious as to what chain would take a gable with any of those concepts. Sea World maybe but I could only see them interested the in water models. Aside from Sea World and Universal, no US based chain has worked with Intamin in over a decade. Those small concepts show me that they're trying to undercut manufacturers and aim for smaller parks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

I think having too big of a portfolio is a bad thing. Have you ever went to a restaurant that has like a 7 page menu? The food is often bad. 

Intamin has made wooden coasters, steel coasters, flat rides, water rides, tower rides, the list goes on. When you have a portfolio that large, you're bound to be stretched thin somewhere. 

Some of the better companies have a formula they stand by. Even companies like Mack who branch out have worked hard to perfect their product.

Samsung, Disney, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, all massive companies that do many different things. Samsung has a division that manufactures tanks and other ordinance for example. I know that these aren't amusement manufacturers, but they're examples of companies having high quality products while also being very diversified. It's not to say that being very spread out isn't a risky endeavor, otherwise many would be doing it. But it's absolutely possible.

Samsung accounts for 13-20% of ALL of South Korea's GDP btw. (I just find that statistic humorous, thought I'd share)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

Back on topic, I sincerely hope the park makes an effort to give The Beast more isolation. The deforestation left in the wake of Vortex's removal kind of dulls the experience of the queue line now. Quite frankly, I don't think there is a need to fill the space with another roller coaster.

I would highly bet that land is the area to get our next major coaster.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

Back on topic, I sincerely hope the park makes an effort to give The Beast more isolation. The deforestation left in the wake of Vortex's removal kind of dulls the experience of the queue line now. Quite frankly, I don't think there is a need to fill the space with another roller coaster.

I agree. River town and that general area is full enough. 

31 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

I wouldn’t be so sure. It’ll get a coaster, in the future. I’m thinking the area in front will be a coaster, followed by a coaster in The Vortex site.

My fingers are crossed that The Bat doesn't meet its demise within the next five years. That would absolutely devastate me.

• Like 4