Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex

Klabergian Empire

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Even though I don't want a dive coaster, I drew up a concept of one. It fits quite nicely. Photo credit: CoasterBob62 

2020-11-02_16.57.10.jpg

While I don't hope for a dive either, that rendering looks great!  You have advanced your skillset over the past couple of years!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

When deducing what could replace Vortex, maybe we should look into the eyes of the general public/non-enthusiasts. What type of attraction would give the park the best possible roi and be a hit with the general public?

I think this is a really good question. If anything, I don't think this question is asked enough. Parks (I imagine) draw more GP than enthusiasts, so whatever the park adds to Vortex's plot will (probably) basically be something the enthusiasts want along with something that will attract the GP. I could be wrong, but this is my prediction.

On a side note, the more I think about this, with regards to Vortex's plot, I am beginning to think of it as "dead space" (so to say). I can easily see why the park decided it was time to take out Vortex, but the issue to me is what could you put in there that blends with the park and the surrounding area? I honestly believe that a B&M, an Intamin, or whatever other kinds of big coasters are out there just wouldn't work in Vortex's plot. Whatever the park puts in place of Vortex HAS to make up for the photogenic loss of Vortex AND it also should tie into the Coney Mall area as well. Period. At this point, I honestly have no idea what to put there. But I would not like to see a dive coaster put there (Just no. Save that for when they remove Invertigo). 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Gerstlauer infinity coaster sounds tantalizing in the section, but also need somewhat a functional second revision of new prototypes (with the possibility of the Axis prototype) or of the same caliber of steel curtain AND snatch the inversion record if done correctly with Gerstlauer or S&S Sansei. With that being said, I say that ANY coaster that can fill that nice plot of coaster real estate would be a lot better than the void that is right there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coaster sally said:

Not many people go to a park that has a floorless and says, " I got to ride that floorless".  B&M has only built a couple decent ones, the rest are garbage IMO.

Complaints against floorless coasters come from enthusiasts who have the luxury of traveling to multiple parks. The same can be said for hypers, inverts and dives. Not many GP go to other parks.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, coaster sally said:

Not many people go to a park that has a floorless and says, " I got to ride that floorless".

You are right. They see a new coaster and say, "Hey Kings Island (or any park) has a new coaster, lets go try it out." They don't care what type it is or which manufacturer it came from.  They get off of the Coaster and say, "I loved that my feet dangle there, it was so scary."

They got the adrenaline rush the coaster provided and they want to ride another. All the little details are really not on the GP's mind, nor do they care. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

A floorless would fill in the gap left by Vortex's removal. KI has a broad selection of ride types, but now there are no traditional sit-down multi inversion coasters (using a lift hill, that is). There are already two launched coasters, one of them (a multi launch, even) directly across from The Vortex plot.

Also, while a Dive Machine might seem to be a trend with Cedar Fair right now, I'm not sure how it would work out at KI. Even with a hyper-height one like Yukon Striker, the overall ride duration is somewhat short with those models, and KI frequenters are used to having a lot of rides with a longer ride time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PKIDelirium said:

Also, while a Dive Machine might seem to be a trend with Cedar Fair right now, I'm not sure how it would work out at KI. Even with a hyper-height one like Yukon Striker, the overall ride duration is somewhat short with those models, and KI frequenters are used to having a lot of rides with a longer ride time.

I feel like having a tall dive machine next to a tall hyper would be repetitive. I think the max height I would want to go is 170ft which is 60ft shorter than Diamondback. Heck they could go the Orion route and have the drop go further than the height. I just want those lost inversions made up and have a decent ride duration.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, PKIDelirium said:

A floorless would fill in the gap left by Vortex's removal. KI has a broad selection of ride types, but now there are no traditional sit-down multi inversion coasters (using a lift hill, that is). There are already two launched coasters, one of them (a multi launch, even) directly across from The Vortex plot.

I feel like a Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster is likely because it would be a modern multi-inversion coaster with a beyond vertical drop, making it different than Vortex while still featuring many inversions. On the other hand, something like a MACK Rides multi-launch makes a lot of sense because it could also feature a lot of inversions, and Kings Island lacks a good modern launch coaster.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I feel like a Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster is likely because it would be a modern multi-inversion coaster with a beyond vertical drop, making it different than Vortex while still featuring many inversions. On the other hand, something like a MACK Rides multi-launch makes a lot of sense because it could also feature a lot of inversions, and Kings Island lacks a good modern launch coaster.

We definitely need to fill back in our inversion count that was lost with Vortex and Firehawk. Even if that means just 4 or 5. Copperhead Strike has 5 inversions. I think they have the room in the Vortex plot to offer the 6 we lost with Vortex. I would love to have a Mack coaster in that spot.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

We definitely need to fill back in our inversion count that was lost with Vortex and Firehawk. Even if that means just 4 or 5. Copperhead Strike has 5 inversions. I think they have the room in The Vortex plot to offer the 6 we lost with Vortex. I would love to have a Mack coaster in that spot.

I am not going to do a Google Earth overlay, but from others that I have seen like, Copperhead Strike fits pretty well in The Vortex plot of land with room to spare. Also, MACK Rides is currently building a 200+ foot launch coaster in China that look pretty cool and is supposedly going to feature a faster launch acceleration than their previous coasters, We probably won’t see a MACK Rides multi-launch as tall as this at Kings Island, but we could see a layout different and more intense than Copperhead Strike.

• Like 2