Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex

Klabergian Empire

4 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

They sewed grass in The Vortex spot.  Nothing will be going on there for a while.  Nothing to see here.

I agree that nothing will probably happen to the site within the next two years however grass isn’t particularly expensive to plant.

• Like 3

Its reminiscent of when SOB was SBNO for three years which made Banshee's payoff a lot better all those years later. Vortex's land will sit vacant for a while and people will talk and speculate what'll go there. The good thing is we finally have our giga so people will *hopefully tone it down some and not fly off the handle with guesses considering we're missing a traditional sitdown multi looper.

*I know I was asking a lot there when I said that hopefully people will tone it down.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Its reminiscent of when SOB was SBNO for three years which made Banshee's payoff a lot better all those years later. Vortex's land will sit vacant for a while and people will talk and speculate what'll go there. The good thing is we finally have our giga so people will *hopefully tone it down some and not fly off the handle with guesses considering we're missing a traditional sitdown multi looper.

*I know I was asking a lot there when I said that hopefully people will tone it down.

Tone it down? How could you possibly say that when we are obviously on track to get a 550 ft RMC T rex that’s 7000 ft long while setting the world inversion record?

• Haha 3

I don’t think a coaster necessarily needs to go there. The whole piece of land could be redeveloped as a Coney Mall expansion. I’d love to see a new dark ride, flats, or log flume occupy that area. It would have to be something absolutely iconic, though. Vortex is going to be tough to replace. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 10:43 PM, coaster sally said:

They sewed grass in The Vortex spot.  Nothing will be going on there for a while.  Nothing to see here.

Land being seeded and strawed is not necessarily an indicator of how long a plot of land will sit vacant.  Per stormwater regulations, any disturbed land that will be left idle for more than 21 days needs to be seeded and strawed, even if they plan on doing construction 25 days later...contractors complain all the time about that timeframe on active sites and have been known to occasionally move some dirt around to "loophole" that regulation LOL.

• Like 2

I believe we have our next decoding topic folks

Genuinely I have my wish lists but at the end of the day here are the facts:

• We literally just got a new coaster last year that some outlets are still saying is "new" for good reason. 
  • If the time tables are still on some form of track, I believe within 2 years we will see a food/Planet Snoopy addition, 3-4 for a waterpark addition, then 5-6 for a main park attraction. 

IMO we do not need a new coaster, at least for awhile. I think the park just is lopsided now with Orion (which I suspected before hand). We have a good top 3-4 lineup, but we don't really have a good support with our flat rides.  Same can be said about our coasters but the last time we actually got a thrilling/active flat ride was in '03 with Delirium. 

I could very easily see this become the next tin box item in the park, just due to the time tables. With that being said, I'm not ruling out a coaster out right, as I believe there will be a coaster, it just might be awhile. I would absolutely love to see a RMC come to KI or a B&M floorless as honestly those are two items the park could really do a lot with. But what can I say, I'm just friends with the Dippin' Dots guy. 

• Like 5

My 5 year prediction based on what I read in the new book as well as how we just got Orion:

2022 - 50th anniversary celebration - mainly park improvements that help throwback + a big celebration event similar to what Cedar Point is doing, maybe a new ride, but it would be a throwback ride

2023 - Planet Snoopy expansion - the idea I just came up with is either retheming the area to Camp snoopy entirely or taking out the old theater/petting zoo and some of picnic grove and do an actual expansion and make that section Camp Snoopy

2024 - Soak City expansion with some minimal park improvements in the dry park maybe a new restaurant

2025 - Vortex replacement - either an Intamin or Mack multi launch not ruling out an RMC though

2026 - dark ride in former Crypt building

• Like 1

8 hours ago, silver2005 said:

The thing that gets me about walking by the site is not only the loss of the massive structure and the ride in action, but that area of the park feels eerily quiet now.  

When walking by the site Saturday, it definitely felt like something was missing (in a logical way, not in a nostalgic/me missing the ride way, if that makes sense).

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 10:43 PM, coaster sally said:

Unless they got some needles and threads and spent A LOT of time, they did not sew grass.  They SOWED grass seed.

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so after getting a better view of the site from The Beast's queue and riding The Beast, I really do not want a B&M Dive coaster there as Orion is so close. I'm not sure what could go there as the terrain is very unique and steep in parts. The field actually looks nice (though it is kinda randomly just... there). Maybe an RMC with some elements that reference Vortex (like recreating the famous batwing, perhaps?). A multi-launch could also work. Whatever goes there, it would be cool to preserve some of the field. Speaking of the field, while exiting The Beast, it's really cool to see that opening to the forest to the right of said field.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

Ok, so after getting a better view of the site from The Beast's queue and riding The Beast, I really do not want a B&M Dive coaster there as Orion is so close. I'm not sure what could go there as the terrain is very unique and steep in parts. The field actually looks nice (though it is kinda randomly just... there). Maybe an RMC with some elements that reference Vortex (like recreating the famous batwing, perhaps?). A multi-launch could also work. Whatever goes there, it would be cool to preserve some of the field. Speaking of the field, while exiting The Beast, it's really cool to see that opening to the forest to the right of said field.

I agree that the open space actually look refreshing. I think if the tall fence wasn’t there it would feel less like something is missing. That’s the part I feel needs to go if this is going to be open space for a while. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

I agree that the open space actually look refreshing. I think if the tall fence wasn’t there it would feel less like something is missing. That’s the part I feel needs to go if this is going to be open space for a while. 

The fence is likely there because...you know some people especially teens these days...would think that is an open place to run around and throw their prizes around lol. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 6:40 PM, beastfan11 said:

I don’t think a coaster necessarily needs to go there. The whole piece of land could be redeveloped as a Coney Mall expansion.

After seeing the site without Vortex on it I was surprised to see how non-flat that plot is.

Unless they want to do some serious land leveling, I doubt that a midway would go there. I think it would have to be something like a coaster or log flume. The land doesn't need to be flat for something like that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

The fence is likely there because...you know some people especially teens these days...would think that is an open place to run around and throw their prizes around lol. 

I meant the tall fence. If there was a shorter one it would look nice, but I agree. People are idiots these days! 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, MillenniumforceMike said:

This is personally what I want to see at Kings Island. A mack multi launch similar to copperhead strike and helix

image.pngt

I like it! Looks very original and would fit the area well! Now the main question is, what would they theme it to. I don't think a country/western theme would fit there unless the station was over by Beast or by Rivertown Pizza. Knowing Kings Island, it's gotta have a story to go along with it. 

• Like 1

Made a concept similar to the one @MillenniumforceMike made, but made it a double launch coaster and a little different. The station/theme is very similar to Helix at Liseberg and part of the queue goes into the building and the stairs up to the platform are inside between the station and the storage area similar to Helix. The name is Lazer Snake and the theming would feature a lot of green LED lights and a "pumpy" soundtrack by IMAscore similar to Helix. 

KI Mack launch.png

• Like 1