Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex

Klabergian Empire

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Old_Bearcat said:

image.pngAn 

An RMC or Launched Maverick-Style Coaster that interacts "slightly" with The Beast (thru the portal, er lift hill). There is terrain to use to its advantage to stay low after passing thru The Beast.  Station in Beast Canyon or across from BLSC.

Cool concept, however it would be very difficult to have the ride go through Beast's structure like that since they would have to modify the structure a bit. Not saying it isn't possible though as Europa Park did it with Blue Fire going through Wodan. However, I think the park would want to try and keep The Beast more secluded. I do like the idea of putting the station by the arcade. They could even gut out the arcade and use that building as a queue line with nice theming. You could then reroute Beast's exit path back to where it used to be and use the current one for the new coaster.

By the way, where did you get this aerial shot? 

Made a concept here of a Mack launch. It results in The Beast's exit path returning to where it used to be and the exit path for this one using Beast's current one. The Rivertown arcade is gutted out and used as the queue line. The station basically is meant to look like a giant Brewery (similar to Sonder Brewing down the road from the park). The theme of this ride is based around brewing and lager (similar to Copperhead Strike with moonshine). The big brown building where Vortex's station was is a multi level rustic lodge dining facility similar to what Canada's Wonderland is getting next year. it would feature patios that overlook the area and would give guests nice views of the new coaster. The name of the coaster is Outback Rider

KI Mack launch (2).png

• Like 2

On 8/26/2021 at 9:03 PM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Cool concept, however it would be very difficult to have the ride go through Beast's structure like that since they would have to modify the structure a bit. Not saying it isn't possible though as Europa Park did it with Blue Fire going through Wodan. However, I think the park would want to try and keep The Beast more secluded. I do like the idea of putting the station by the arcade. They could even gut out the arcade and use that building as a queue line with nice theming. You could then reroute Beast's exit path back to where it used to be and use the current one for the new coaster.

By the way, where did you get this aerial shot? 

Really wouldn't be too hard- might have to beef up the footings on either side of the hole, but then you'd just run a steel beam across to catch the columns that are removed. That service road access is done just like this. Seclusion, on the other hand, is a different story. 

On 7/30/2021 at 9:38 PM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Made another Mack launch concept! The name is Polar Vortex! I even made a logo for it! Here's the link to the picture I used for the blizzard background: https://www.dreamstime.com/illustration/blizzard-cartoon.html

KI Mack launch (1).png

Polar Vortex logo.png

What if they just remade The Vortex's original layout, but replace all of the inversions with airtime hills and banked turns, and call it Vortex's Revenge :lol:LOL?!

• Like 1

I'd rather The Beast remain secluded. Orion's turn around and Vortex's demolition have partially compromised this so I'd rather nothing else be added into the woods.

For sure. Let’s not forget that the recent history of putting up rides seems to be “clear cut the forest” type of mentality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

That is largely because it is far cheaper to do that, and be able to get equipment in than to selectively cut down trees.  I would say that they did a fairly good job with Mystic Timbers.  The structure is still fairly close to several trees that were not cut down.

There's that and the fact that leaving a tree up in a position that poses a risk of falling upon the tracks is not so appealing.

• Like 1

I just wish they would plant trees to replace ones they remove for construction though in areas they can go back into. Think they did a good job with removal for Mystic Timbers, but look at Diamondback. It was completely cleared and it has been left flat and empty since. It opened 12 years ago now. That area could have been pretty well reforested by now aside for space for tracks and and necessary roads for it. Think it would look a lot nicer and be more fun to dip in and out of the trees, plus make it feel faster with you zipping past trees closer by.

• Like 11

On 9/3/2021 at 11:21 AM, purdude86 said:

I just wish they would plant trees to replace ones they remove for construction though in areas they can go back into. Think they did a good job with removal for Mystic Timbers, but look at Diamondback. It was completely cleared and it has been left flat and empty since. It opened 12 years ago now. That area could have been pretty well reforested by now aside for space for tracks and and necessary roads for it. Think it would look a lot nicer and be more fun to dip in and out of the trees, plus make it feel faster with you zipping past trees closer by.

I agree with this 100%. Always thought it was weird that there was a bunch of wide open space around Diamondback that is just grass. Looks like Orion is going to be the same way too. 

It's probably so that if they ever need to get back there and do any work, they can. Just sucks because it could be so much cooler.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrSourNinja said:

I agree with this 100%. Always thought it was weird that there was a bunch of wide open space around Diamondback that is just grass. Looks like Orion is going to be the same way too. 

It's probably so that if they ever need to get back there and do any work, they can. Just sucks because it could be so much cooler.

At least with Orion they didn’t take out all the trees around the perimeter of the ride unlike Diamondback.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrSourNinja said:

That's the reason I assumed but still feel like they could have at least filled in the space in between the tracks. just have a service road running along the track and plant trees in the empty space that they don't need to go to.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrSourNinja said:

That's the reason I assumed but still feel like they could have at least filled in the space in between the tracks. just have a service road running along the track and plant trees in the empty space that they don't need to go to.

1 hour ago, Oldschool75 said:

I say they are better off moving eXtreme Skyflyer to Vortex's spot and make better use of land in Action Zone. with TW, and Congo Falls

Wouldn't mind seeing them move it and Slingshot to Area 72. They could easily fit in with the theme there and open up lots of space in AZ that would make the area more workable for expansion/retheme, and create space for a flat ride in Oktoberfest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

I say they are better off moving eXtreme Skyflyer to Vortex's spot and make better use of land in Action Zone. with TW, and Congo Falls

I feel like Vortex’s spot deserves better. I agree that Action Zone needs some live though, but I don’t think Xtreme Skyflyer belongs in Coney Mall or Rivertown. If Kings Island chooses to expand where Xtreme Skyflyer is, I would prefer it to just be removed entirely. Both Slingshot and Xtreme Skyflyer are kind of ugly rides in my opinion, and I would love for them to be replaced with better rides.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I feel like Vortex’s spot deserves better. I agree that Action Zone needs some live though, but I don’t think Xtreme Skyflyer belongs in Coney Mall or Rivertown. If Kings Island chooses to expand where Xtreme Skyflyer is, I would prefer it to just be removed entirely. Both Slingshot and Xtreme Skyflyer are kind of ugly rides in my opinion, and I would love for them to be replaced with better rides.

I used to hold this exact same opinion about Xtreme Skyflyer. Then I actually rode and I’ve now fallen in love with the great. It’s probably my 2nd favorite ride in the park tbh. I think that it’s location in Action Zone is fine given there’s plenty of other rides (Invertigo, congo falls) that would be better candidates for removal. 

• Like 1

I just watched Canobie Coaster's review of The Ride to Happiness at Plopsaland. He has a crazy high coaster count from around the world and he called it maybe his new #1 overall. I think KI, especially with the layout of The Vortex plot, would be the perfect location for the next Mack extreme spinner. The Ride to Happiness looks insane, Time Traveler x10, and I really liked Time Traveler. 

• Like 1

^^While it would be nice, I have a feeling if they go with Mack, they'll go with the standard multi launch like Copperhead Strike. I've heard (take it with a grain of salt) that those Mack spinning trains are some of the most expensive trains if not the most expensive trains to design and make. Idk if KI or CF would want to spend the extra money on that or not, but I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

^^While it would be nice, I have a feeling if they go with Mack, they'll go with the standard multi launch like Copperhead Strike. I've heard (take it with a grain of salt) that those Mack spinning trains are some of the most expensive trains if not the most expensive trains to design and make. Idk if KI or CF would want to spend the extra money on that or not, but I could be wrong. 

I don't think the price would be that big of a deterrent especially if they are going to wait longer in-between coasters like Cedar Fair says they are. It would be a fantastic coaster for the lineup too as it fills 3 gaps. Launch, lopper, spinner.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

How is the capacity on Jersery Devil?  POV makes it look like they could run a 4 train operation, 3 at least, do they have that many trains?  Do they ever run it that way?  I assume Great Adventure gets large crowds, and if they can make it work there from a capacity standpoint, then I think something like that could work at KI.

Can the Raptors do launches?  Imagine what they could do with that plot of land and cutting thru the forest with a multi-launcher raptor.  They could make one heck of an awesome ride.

With that said, have there been any rumors of what will replace Wicked Twister up at the Pointe?  If Raptor's are the rage, I could see something similar to Jersey Devil working around the rumored board walk themed area they will create around Wicked Twister's plot.