Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex

Klabergian Empire

40 minutes ago, medford said:

How is the capacity on Jersery Devil?  POV makes it look like they could run a 4 train operation, 3 at least, do they have that many trains?  Do they ever run it that way?  I assume Great Adventure gets large crowds, and if they can make it work there from a capacity standpoint, then I think something like that could work at KI.

Can the Raptors do launches?  Imagine what they could do with that plot of land and cutting thru the forest with a multi-launcher raptor.  They could make one heck of an awesome ride.

With that said, have there been any rumors of what will replace Wicked Twister up at the Pointe?  If Raptor's are the rage, I could see something similar to Jersey Devil working around the rumored board walk themed area they will create around Wicked Twister's plot.

I've heard capacity on it isn't too bad but haven't been on it myself. However, it appears that the ride lacks the quick snappy, transitions that the other raptors have because it has to accommodate the longer train. I think a dueling raptor would be a better solution to the capacity issue while maintaining what makes raptors exciting.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, medford said:

How is the capacity on Jersery Devil?  POV makes it look like they could run a 4 train operation, 3 at least, do they have that many trains?  Do they ever run it that way?  I assume Great Adventure gets large crowds, and if they can make it work there from a capacity standpoint, then I think something like that could work at KI.

Jersey Devils operations and design is not compatible with Cedar Fairs safety standards.  It is impossible for this style of ride to have decent capacity without major design changes or major changes to the chains policies.

RailBlazer has a fraction of the capacity of Wonder Woman even though they are the same ride just mirrored.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, medford said:

Can the Raptors do launches?  Imagine what they could do with that plot of land and cutting thru the forest with a multi-launcher raptor.  They could make one heck of an awesome ride.

With that said, have there been any rumors of what will replace Wicked Twister up at the Pointe?  If Raptor's are the rage, I could see something similar to Jersey Devil working around the rumored board walk themed area they will create around Wicked Twister's plot.

I was fortunate enough to ride Jersey Devil twice this summer. The operations are extremely fast, and they were running three trains. The trains never stop. They are loaded and unloaded like an escalator. As one person gets off at the back of the platform another gets on, and then a ride op secures your restraint. It is a fantastic, and fun ride. 

1 hour ago, Kenban said:

Jersey Devils operations and design is not compatible with Cedar Fairs safety standards.  It is impossible for this style of ride to have decent capacity without major design changes or major changes to the chains policies.

RailBlazer has a fraction of the capacity of Wonder Woman even though they are the same ride just mirrored.

Good point! An RMC raptor at Kings Island would be pretty low capacity. If we’re lucky it would be around Backlot Stunt Coaster’s capacity with its 12 person trains. I also doubt Kings Island would be able to operate a raptor like Six Flags does because of IROC. Anyways, when you consider a B&M 32 passenger train, each train that is dispatched holds 4x the amount of riders that the 8 seat raptor trains hold and almost 3x the riders that the 12 seat raptors hold. Even a 24 passenger train like on Mystic Timbers holds way more. A raptor just doesn’t seem plausible in my opinion. Kings Island really needs something with a higher capacity.

• Like 2

Although Rivertown generally allows for more of what people consider theming than Coney Mall, I think it should stay in Coney Mall. Without Vortex, that midway is empty from Shake Rattle and Roll to WindSeeker.

If they do put the next attraction in Rivertown I would at least leave a little room for a flat ride or two near where The Vortex entrance was. The current empty space, combined with the skeeball building only used for Haunt, makes that end of Coney Mall too sparse without something there. 

Also I think it would be cool to see them go all out on Old Coney theming for a new attraction.

• Like 2

If it goes in Coney, I could see the theming be a speed car/hot rod theme similar to Lightning Rod or the Intimidator's theming. I just have a hard time coming up with a name that doesn't sound cheesy. The only decent name I came up with that makes sense is Speed Demon and basically the theme is connected with Racer and Backlot. Rivertown has a lot more opportunity for theming purposes imo. I posted a concept a while back where the ride is in Rivertown, but they put in a large 2 story restaurant where The Vortex station was overlooking the new coaster. 

• Like 1

**TRIPLE POST** sorry it just seems like everytime I post a concept the thread goes quiet lol. Anyways I created another concept of an Intamin launch with the same theme as the one before, but this time instead of a Maverick like ride, I go with a more modern Intamin style blitz more like Velocicoaster. The top hat would be over 200 feet tall and it would take the fastest multi launch coaster record from Pantheon.

KI intamin blitz concept (9).png

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Cedar Fair Fanboy said:

You just made a Maverick clone...

Not really. This concept has an extra airtime hill before the launch. It also hugs the terrain where Maverick is on flat ground and after the second launch, it has a zero g stall. It's pretty similar to Maverick, but it has a different layout. 

• Like 2

**DOUBLE POST** Made another concept. This time the launch lift is facing the same direction Vortex's lift faced. This would allow for nice footage opportunities of the drop from The Beast's exit ramp. It also would allow the second element to be a drop into the valley while banking to the left. I also changed the color scheme to allow it to fit Coney Mall better. The name is still Stallion and how it fits into Coney Mall is in the storyline, Coney Mall is a County Fair and the main character showed off his or her patriotic Stallion every year as a 4H project and got blue ribbons and champion ribbons each year and now people get to take a wild ride through the woods and valleys on the award winning stallion. The entrance and queue is very similar to how Vortex worked where you go up and over the station this time in a covered bridge and the queue house is the building with the red, white, and blue roof.

KI intamin blitz concept (11).png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

**TRIPLE POST** Here is another concept I made, This time I used a shot of Vortex from the Eiffel Tower. I couldn't get the first element after the second launch in the picture though, but it is the same thing as after the second launch on Maverick. 

Link to Vortex photo: https://coasterpedia.net/wiki/Vortex_(Kings_Island)

KI intamin blitz concept (12).png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

**DOUBLE POST** I made a more custom Intamin multi launch/blitz layout that follows the terrain. It features a double down out of the station which is a first for the blitzes and it also features a zero g roll station flythrough similar to Lech Coaster at Legendia. Basically is a crossover of Velocicoaster and some Mack and Vekoma like elements. The queue would start in the arcade building and go down into the valley and snake up to the station.

KI intamin blitz concept (14).png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Made another blitz concept. Can't really come up with a name, but I'll say it's basically themed around LED lights and has a giant tower with LED spotlights in the center

KI intamin blitz concept.jpg

I’m not sure “led lights” is a theme. More like a feature or element. I don’t mind the one that had the station that looked like a barn.

10 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

I’m not sure “led lights” is a theme. More like a feature or element. I don’t mind the one that had the station that looked like a barn.

It's very hard to explain the theme I'm going for in that one. Basically I'm going with a futuristic/tech theme more like Helix at Liseberg or Tron at Disney. That's where the LED lights comes in. Heres a video of a concept with the theming I'm going for: https://youtu.be/VIu7B26xhU8

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

Just think about it.

vortex.png

Idk if the park is really interested in just growing trees there. I highly doubt that they wouldn't replace it with a coaster knowing how iconic Vortex was and the crowds it grew on its last day. Plus, the location and terrain there gives it lots of potential for an awesome ride if they do it right. 

• Like 2

On 12/6/2021 at 9:45 PM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Made an intamin blitz concept. Basically a mix of Velocicoaster and Pantheon. The entrance would be on a new pathway that goes around Shake, Rattle, and Roll. This would be a heavy terrain based coaster. I give you Speed Demon!

KI intamin blitz concept.jpg

If you click the seventh button in from the left (clock with green arrow going counterclockwise), you should get the latest imagery with Orion completed and Vortex gone.