Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex

Klabergian Empire

56 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I think @Shaggy was referencing the location of the drone launch not a new ride though.

That's what I was referencing.  

1 hour ago, DoomPlague said:

Makes sense that they could be for drones and now I see what he was implying about the drones. Didn't he call Son of Beast "awesome" on national TV that one time? I should have questioned his intentions. :P

It was... at first... later, after it was neutered, it was only awesome to look at. ;)

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Coasterteam said:

Gotta love good old fashion speculation and rumors. Whatever Cedar Fair does at Kings Island, one of their top 3 in the chain, will be over the top. 

Whether that be a bunch of new flats or a new coaster, it'll be a good addition. I hope to see either a mix of flats, new middle-ground coaster, and theming like what we're seeing in Jungle X-Pedition at KD and the rumored Carowinds crossroads expansion. 

I think Cedar Point will get a new coaster, or even a new kid area expansion, before we get another major investment, and whatever mysterious stuff is happening over at WoF, but we're on the list probably around Kings Dominion 50th anniversary I would imagine.

I agree with this. Seems like the major CF parks will have at least one big gap between coasters every ten years or so. CP hasn't opened a new coaster since 2018. KI had that gap from 2009-2014 and so on (though obviously the economic downturn then and now comes into play). After the last three coasters at KI, I'm feeling bad for some other parks. I'm content with what we have even if I miss Vortex.

6 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

It was... at first... later, after it was nuetered, it was only awesome to look at. ;)

I did enjoy it that first year as long as it was a middle seat but I convinced myself it was better than it was.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Now that Zambezi Zinger has been announced at WoF as a GCI with Titan Track, I’d like to make somewhat of an out-there prediction for what I think could be replacing Vortex.

I think we could see a massive GCI coaster (150+ feet) placed on that plot of land utilizing Titan Track to do some extreme maneuvers. I think it makes sense as Mystic Timbers was a fairly successful ride, Cedar Fair has a good working relationship with GCI, and it would be more cost effective than a brand new steel coaster. I also think we could see Titan Track used to do a vertical loop as a throwback to SoB as it would be the only element of its kind on either a hybrid or wooden coaster. I’m not up to date on park rumors so I could be entirely wrong, but that is my prediction.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

If we want to get a little crazy and not disturb The Beast woods, I made a little concept where it interacts with the pathway basically making it a centerpiece in the middle of the park. I came up with this idea based on the Intamin blitz being built at Parque Warner Madrid where it goes over top pathways. It would also require the removal/relocation of the 3 point challenge as well as some of the area behind Jukebox diner, but if Parque Warner can squeeze in a blitz where they're putting it, I think they could do that here if the park really wanted to. The line for Backlot would have to be changed a little bit, but I made it so it could work. Introducing Tyrant! Rule the Island of Fort Coney! 

image.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I would love for it to interact with other parts of the park. A lot of Kings Islands coasters are setup in a way that most of the ride is in the back area or around the edge of the park. Kings Island still, in my opinion, lacks a great thrillseeker ride. Not expecting an RMC or some intense Intamin; just something that really easily stands out on top of the lineup. 

Really hope KI goes above and beyond with this area of land; there's so much potential with that plot and really should pay homage to the strides Vortex made when it first opened. 

• Like 5

On 8/11/2022 at 9:22 AM, ethancoaster said:

Now that Zambezi Zinger has been announced at WoF as a GCI with Titan Track, I’d like to make somewhat of an out-there prediction for what I think could be replacing Vortex.

I think we could see a massive GCI coaster (150+ feet) placed on that plot of land utilizing Titan Track to do some extreme maneuvers. I think it makes sense as Mystic Timbers was a fairly successful ride, Cedar Fair has a good working relationship with GCI, and it would be more cost effective than a brand new steel coaster. I also think we could see Titan Track used to do a vertical loop as a throwback to SoB as it would be the only element of its kind on either a hybrid or wooden coaster. I’m not up to date on park rumors so I could be entirely wrong, but that is my prediction.

A second GCI would be interesting; and with WoF it could be possible for a second GCI to appear right down the path from Mystic :haha:

Let GCI push their new Infinity Flyers to their limits and see what happens. 

oops double posted; sorry

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

If we want to get a little crazy and not disturb The Beast woods, I made a little concept where it interacts with the pathway basically making it a centerpiece in the middle of the park. I came up with this idea based on the Intamin blitz being built at Parque Warner Madrid where it goes over top pathways. It would also require the removal/relocation of the 3 point challenge as well as some of the area behind Jukebox diner, but if Parque Warner can squeeze in a blitz where they're putting it, I think they could do that here if the park really wanted to. The line for Backlot would have to be changed a little bit, but I made it so it could work. Introducing Tyrant! Rule the Island of Fort Coney! 

image.png

I actually like the idea behind this. I had been playing around with an idea similar where backlot is removed and a major new coaster takes the back half of that plot. The way you have it on both sides of the pathway frees up more land to do something bigger. I’d love to see it pretty symmetrical to frame the tower, move the floral clock to actually align with the path coming to it and possibly reshape the circle path to be better balanced. Add 2 flat to left and right of the clock and possibly on the other side as well where saltwater was. The flats would be part of “Carousel  park” an extension of IS. The coaster would technically be Coney, but would read well in both areas. Make a clean-elegant design-maybe even like CA SCREAMIN’ that is steel “disguised” to look wooden. Maybe even with a large 360 vertical loop that centers behind the tower. 

• Like 4

Fun thought. What if it was a second generation “racer”. One DESIGNED to run forward and back. Two tracks with lots of intersections. Balanced on both sides of the tower, taking the signature 360 loop one clockwise-one counter. Plays into RECAR history, and the history of that plot having two versions of the same ride with intersecting paths. Two colors OTHER than red and blue. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

I actually like the idea behind this. I had been playing around with an idea similar where backlot is removed and a major new coaster takes the back half of that plot. The way you have it on both sides of the pathway frees up more land to do something bigger. I’d love to see it pretty symmetrical to frame the tower, move the floral clock to actually align with the path coming to it and possibly reshape the circle path to be better balanced. Add 2 flat to left and right of the clock and possibly on the other side as well where saltwater was. The flats would be part of “Carousel  park” an extension of IS. The coaster would technically be Coney, but would read well in both areas. Make a clean-elegant design-maybe even like CA SCREAMIN’ that is steel “disguised” to look wooden. Maybe even with a large 360 vertical loop that centers behind the tower. 

The reason I didn't remove Backlot is because it just got repainted and it is still fairly popular. You can still build a coaster around it or above it. Look at Canada's Wonderland did with Behemoth literally built it on top of their Backlot. I like the whole Carousel park idea. Maybe once CGA closes, Carowinds gets their eagles and we get ours back or vise versa. You could put them in the grass area right by Diamondback's brake run.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

The reason I didn't remove Backlot is because it just got repainted and it is still fairly popular. You can still build a coaster around it or above it. Look at Canada's Wonderland did with Behemoth literally built it on top of their Backlot. I like the whole Carousel park idea. Maybe once CGA closes, Carowinds gets their eagles and we get ours back or vise versa. You could put them in the grass area right by Diamondback's brake run.

Maybe if they redid the whole area backlot could be stripped of its tired theming, be give a better queu experience, and interrogated into the new coaster somehow. Wonder what would make sense for a mid course break rum/launch other than a helicopter machine gun battle? Maybe if it was ever more enclosed and became sort of a coney mall “funhouse” where you go through various tunnels like the mirror maze, the spinning spiral tunnel etc. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Fun thought. What if it was a second generation “racer”. One DESIGNED to run forward and back. Two tracks with lots of intersections. Balanced on both sides of the tower, taking the signature 360 loop one clockwise-one counter. Plays into RECAR history, and the history of that plot having two versions of the same ride with intersecting paths. Two colors OTHER than red and blue. 

I do recall finding the Backwards Racer to be an overall frightening and disorienting experience myself. Getting tossed around is fun, but not when you can't see at all where you're going.

I like the idea of putting a coaster that goes outside of The Vortex footprint, but in my mind, keep the track along the pathway.  When the Junkyard coaster reaches the end of service life, remove it and replace the entire are from the Eifel Tower to the new coaster with a promenade with smaller pathways, remove the circular paths. Put in lots.  of shade, elaborate gardens , benches and grandparent friendly flats,  Pop up food stands.  This area could be called the Parisian Promenade.  I may have mentioned this before, if so apolgies.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

I do recall finding the Backwards Racer to be an overall frightening and disorienting experience myself. Getting tossed around is fun, but not when you can't see at all where you're going.

See-that’s why you can’t make everyone happy all the time. To hear half of the GP and people around here-the RECAR was like the second coming of Jesus and the park has never been the same since they took it away LOL

6 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I like the idea of putting a coaster that goes outside of The Vortex footprint, but in my mind, keep the track along the pathway.  When the Junkyard coaster reaches the end of service life, remove it and replace the entire are from the Eifel Tower to the new coaster with a promenade with smaller pathways, remove the circular paths. Put in lots.  of shade, elaborate gardens , benches and grandparent friendly flats,  Pop up food stands.  This area could be called the Parisian Promenade.  I may have mentioned this before, if so apolgies.

I don’t think elaborate gardens or benches are in their corporate strategy any more LOL. How about mulch beds and big, heavy metal round tables with Coke umbrellas. 

10 hours ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

I don't have vivid memories of riding Racer backwards, but I've ridden other coasters (namely, Batman: The Ride and Viper, both at Six Flags Great America) backwards since then, and yeah... It was kind of miserable. I have to agree.

58 minutes ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

I don't have vivid memories of riding Racer backwards, but I've ridden other coasters (namely, Batman: The Ride and Viper, both at Six Flags Great America) backwards since then, and yeah... It was kind of miserable. I have to agree.

The sensation I most remember is from going downhill.   It really felt like you were going to flip over backwards.  It was a truly a wild, out of control feeling.  If you're old enough to have ridden in a station wagon with the rear-facing backseat, you could relate.  Watching the scenery disappear from that perspective is definitely different!

Looking back, I'm completely shocked that they were ever allowed to do that. 

On 9/7/2022 at 7:56 PM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

image.png

Wow, what a cool concept! I love the idea of utilizing the wasted space around Backlot. The way you positioned the spike, it looks like it would hide behind the Eiffel Tower when viewed from the front of the park, the same way WindSeeker does. Imagine walking past the Eiffel Tower and seeing something like VelociCoaster. Well done!

Decided to try something a little different. I figured out you can measure points and make a path on Google Earth pro so I basically used Velocicoaster overhead views from Google Maps as my reference and I created something that comes around 5,117 feet in length while being as realistic as possible. Remember this is just an overhead shot and it is just something I came up with.

image.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cedar Fair Fanboy said:

I did made a prediction for River Town, think of it like a update if a Vekoma Madhouse is added.

River Town Expansion prediction.png

While I wouldn't mind a madhouse or flying theater, part of me wants the building removed as a giant metal warehouse doesn't fit rivertown and replaced with a large rustic lodge restaurant like what Canada's Wonderland just opened with views of Diamondback. I also highly doubt they remove Larosa's as it is an original building to the park and is pretty popular. I like expanding The Beast midway back by the old Beast exit with the little shops. I believe the reddish/brown building to the right of The Beast entrance right behind the current fence was a mine shop at one point and I believe the current entrance where the vending machines are was a small snack stand at one point, but I could be wrong. Also, what would happen in the sheriff office and black smith? I don't really study old western towns or spend time in one so I have no clue what goes on in those. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

While I wouldn't mind a madhouse or flying theater, part of me wants the building removed as a giant metal warehouse doesn't fit rivertown and replaced with a large rustic lodge restaurant like what Canada's Wonderland just opened with views of Diamondback. I also highly doubt they remove Larosa's as it is an original building to the park and is pretty popular. I like expanding The Beast midway back by the old Beast exit with the little shops. I believe the reddish/brown building to the right of The Beast entrance right behind the current fence was a mine shop at one point and I believe the current entrance where the vending machines are was a small snack stand at one point, but I could be wrong. Also, what would happen in the sheriff office and black smith? I don't really study old western towns or spend time in one so I have no clue what goes on in those. 

Proving my point.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

There are lots of other things original to the park that were popular that are long gone. I think it’s an inefficient building that if rebuilt and redesigned could bring a lot more “in theme” food options to that area.