Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex

Klabergian Empire

4 hours ago, KI Guy said:

The Coney Island theme was supposed to be Coney Island "after the turn of the [20th] century."

If a coaster is to go on The Vortex plot, I say build an RMC hybrid inspired by the look of the Coney Wildcat.

f56ea9efb477c34abb011bd06229b382 (1).jpg

I’ve always thought about something like this. I’d love to see it. Either The Vortex spot or where the Junkyard Coaster sits. 

• Like 4

On 10/21/2022 at 8:02 AM, Bansheelover said:

KI needs an intense, multiple looping coaster since Vortex and Firehawk were removed. Since it has been multiple years since a ground up floorless has been built maybe B&M has updated the restraints and trains for it to make for a better ride.  It appears Cedar Fair does not care if the parks have similar coasters in their parks.

Couldn't agree more. Actually if a ground up floorless roller coaster was built, it would have the newer vest restraints on it. Now I know some people don't like the vest restraints, but for me they're comfortable. That's just me though. Anyway though, if the track was a little wider on Rougarou, they probably could have put the vest restraints on that ride. For me, I love Rougarou the way it is, but I'm crazy. Anyway I'm getting off topic here, but I think a floorless would be great in that spot. 

• Like 6

Oh absolutely!!!!  Out of all the options available from them, I will HAPPILY take a floorless if a Blitz or Infinity on that plot of land isnt an option, especially if it were to be a similar brethren or clone of Dominator!! :wub:

Edited to note:  Thinking about it, one thing Id really like to see with whatever the park decides to do with the area is to keep a good degree of separation between it and The Beast.  I truly dont know the logistical possibilities of possibly transplanting some mature-ish trees to further isolate it from whatever is installed, but that may negate the possibility of placing something the size of Dominator in that area.  Just spitballing off the cuff here, random Sunday morning thoughts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2022 at 12:20 PM, ethancoaster said:

Screenshot (4).png

So while looking at google maps and trying to think of a replacement for Vortex, I came up with this concept: transforming the back of Coney Mall into a 50's themed section, similar to Jukebox Junction at Dollywood. There are already a couple of attractions back here that have a vintage aesthetic/name: Shake, Rattle & Roll, Antique Autos, and Jukebox Diner. I think expanding upon those attractions to make it a fully-fleshed out land similar to Adventure Port would really enhance the area. It would also allow for Backlot to be rethemed. It could retain its car chase theme, but with aesthetic upgrades and a name change to match the new area.

The centerpiece attraction would be the replacement coaster for Vortex, tentatively titled "Demon Rod". This would be a launch coaster that would pay homage to Demon, but with a hot-rod theme. Essentially, it's themed to a classic car that is possessed. The layout is designed to have nine inversions, which would give it the record for the most inversions on any launch coaster. One of them would be an in-line roll station fly-by. 

I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to bring this concept to life in Planet Coaster, and here it is!

The ride entry plaza pays homage to Vortex, with the ride's station being themed to the fictional "Vortex Vehicles" auto shop. Not stopping at Vortex, the ride's paint scheme also pays homage to the park's original Demon coaster with an alternating yellow-orange-red color scheme, with all of the visible inversions being red.

Entrance 2.png

The queue borrows some inspiration from Lightning Rod at Dollywood, with guests walking through the bottom of the auto shop:

Queue.png

The boarding station has some light theming, with license plates displaying the different states Cedar Fair properties are located in:

Station.png

I made a few modifications to the layout, so it is actually a 10-inversion coaster. This would give it the record for the most inversions of any coaster in North America in addition to the previously established launch coaster inversion record:

Jo-Jo Roll.png

Riders park in a launch tunnel while engine-revving sound effects play, with lighting effects at night:

Launch Tunnel.png

The ride launches into its first element, a 16-story sea-serpent roll:

Sea Serpent Roll.png

After exiting, the ride travels over a brief ejector speed hill before flying into a twisted reverse cobra roll:

Twisted Reverse Cobra Roll.png

After exiting that maneuver, the ride flies into a zero-g stall near the entry plaza:

Zero-G Stall.png

The ride rounds a low-to-the-ground turn filled with positive g's, before ejecting riders sideways into a wave turn:

Wave Turn.png

The ride travels over another speed hill and into an underground batwing maneuver, paying homage to Vortex.

Batwing.png

The ride exits the batwing and coasts over an off-axis airtime hill before climbing into the midcourse brake run.

Off-Axis & Trim.png

The MCBR slows the trains enough for riders to enjoy a hangtime-filled station fly-by, exciting guests in line.

Station Fly-By.png

The ride rounds one final turn and goes into an in-line roll above the ride's entrance.

Final Inversion.png

Entrance One.png

Here's an overhead view:

Overhead.png

This ride was designed with Vekoma in mind, but I think if Kings Island were to actually build something like this, I think Zamperla would be an interesting candidate. They're rumored to be working on Dragster a few hours north, as well as providing the two rides in Adventure Port next year. I'd be interested to see what they could do with their overhauled coaster division.

What do y'all think? Comments, criticisms, concerns? 

• Like 7

So first of all this ride looks dynamite! Appears to have good speed, is a decently lengthy layout, unique inversions, and good airtime moments... I'm not sure if I'm totally sold on the car/hotrod theme seeing as we already have 2 car themed rides in that area. However, I love the idea of it paying homage to demon and Vortex (especially with the underground boomerang inversion). I would say I prefer this idea to anything else suggested on the forum so far. 

• Like 3

I like most of the layout and the inversion fly-by, but I feel like those last two inversions as is kill the pacing as the ride ends shortly after that. Perhaps have some more track (maybe a helix or something) between the two barrel rolls or just have the slow station fly by, a turn and maybe a dip and before the final brakes. The ride is pretty strong up until that point, imo. 

EDIT: Another idea is after that last inversion, have some low to the ground turns as a homage/reference to the original Bat.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

I like most of the layout and the inversion fly-by, but I feel like those last two inversions as is kill the pacing as the ride ends shortly after that. Perhaps have some more track (maybe a helix or something) between the two barrel rolls or just have the slow station fly by, a turn and maybe a dip and before the final brakes. The ride is pretty strong up until that point, imo. 

EDIT: Another idea is after that last inversion, have some low to the ground turns as a homage/reference to the original Bat.

Valid points... I'm all for a helix or additional turns maybe like maverick does low to the ground. Still say that the Boomerang inversion is the highlight of this design though numerous other inversions look amazing as well. Regardless of what type of coaster replaces Vortex I think the design needs to include a boomerang with tunnel. Now I'll be very disappointed if it doesn't. 

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I might get tarred and feathered for this but…

I personally wouldn’t mind if Vortex wasn’t replaced. I have a strong theory that Invertigo and Congo Falls will go and that’s were we’ll see a new coaster. As for the current land that’s sitting unoccupied, it could be leveled out which would allow for expanded pathways, continued drone shows, and so on. Don’t get me wrong, they could still put something on that plot of land in the form of a ride, but I think that area should serve a greater purpose in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I might get tarred and feathered for this but…

I personally wouldn’t mind if Vortex wasn’t replaced. I have a strong theory that Invertigo and Congo Falls will go and that’s were we’ll see a new coaster. As for the current land that’s sitting unoccupied, it could be leveled out which would allow for expanded pathways, continued drone shows, and so on. Don’t get me wrong, they could still put something on that plot of land in the form of a ride, but I think that area should serve a greater purpose in my opinion.

I fully agree. I think that area could be better landscaped - still have the drone launch point more 'disguised' - possibly a lake with a water feature and (as much as I'd hate to loose it) remove the wavy brick wall and push that path wider as Its a bit of a choke point. Keep the area fenced in, but with a more decorative, open version. There could even be some nice tables and seating for overflow from LaRosas and Jukebox. I think that whole area could be more clearly annexed into Coney with better themed signage and lighting. Would be a cool "second spot" to watch the closing show from if they made the fountain a bit "interactive" and added LED uplighting to all the trees around the pond area to synch with the show - you'd have a clear sight to the drones as well as the firewaorks.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/29/2022 at 6:26 PM, ethancoaster said:

I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to bring this concept to life in Planet Coaster, and here it is!

The ride entry plaza pays homage to Vortex, with the ride's station being themed to the fictional "Vortex Vehicles" auto shop. Not stopping at Vortex, the ride's paint scheme also pays homage to the park's original Demon coaster with an alternating yellow-orange-red color scheme, with all of the visible inversions being red.

Entrance 2.png

The queue borrows some inspiration from Lightning Rod at Dollywood, with guests walking through the bottom of the auto shop:

Queue.png

The boarding station has some light theming, with license plates displaying the different states Cedar Fair properties are located in:

Station.png

I made a few modifications to the layout, so it is actually a 10-inversion coaster. This would give it the record for the most inversions of any coaster in North America in addition to the previously established launch coaster inversion record:

Jo-Jo Roll.png

Riders park in a launch tunnel while engine-revving sound effects play, with lighting effects at night:

Launch Tunnel.png

The ride launches into its first element, a 16-story sea-serpent roll:

Sea Serpent Roll.png

After exiting, the ride travels over a brief ejector speed hill before flying into a twisted reverse cobra roll:

Twisted Reverse Cobra Roll.png

After exiting that maneuver, the ride flies into a zero-g stall near the entry plaza:

Zero-G Stall.png

The ride rounds a low-to-the-ground turn filled with positive g's, before ejecting riders sideways into a wave turn:

Wave Turn.png

The ride travels over another speed hill and into an underground batwing maneuver, paying homage to Vortex.

Batwing.png

The ride exits the batwing and coasts over an off-axis airtime hill before climbing into the midcourse brake run.

Off-Axis & Trim.png

The MCBR slows the trains enough for riders to enjoy a hangtime-filled station fly-by, exciting guests in line.

Station Fly-By.png

The ride rounds one final turn and goes into an in-line roll above the ride's entrance.

Final Inversion.png

Entrance One.png

Here's an overhead view:

Overhead.png

This ride was designed with Vekoma in mind, but I think if Kings Island were to actually build something like this, I think Zamperla would be an interesting candidate. They're rumored to be working on Dragster a few hours north, as well as providing the two rides in Adventure Port next year. I'd be interested to see what they could do with their overhauled coaster division.

What do y'all think? Comments, criticisms, concerns? 

I wanted to bump this after the announcement of TT2. I think if it turns out to be a success, a Zamperla launch like this could be a good replacement for Vortex. They also released this animation of their lightning model recently:

• Like 5

Being that the space is in between themed areas the options are limitless other than space.

Remove Congo falls and build a new and improved version of it. Call it Kenton’s Cove Keelboat Canal and have it tie into Rivertown. They can also leave room to add a couple of flats to Coney Mall section of the park. 

IMG_3320.jpeg

20 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Everytime I go back to the park, it feels empty because you used to be able to see Vortex from virtually everywhere in the park to a degree.

I agree. I know it was joked around that The Vortex structure was "sinking", but I guess there was some truth behind that meme because the whole area now looks like a giant sinkhole apart from the small drone pad.

I hope it isn't too much longer before we see some activity on that plot, but given Canada's Wonderland "supposed" launched wing coaster, that's already one possible candidate for 2025. Not to mention Carowinds is also due for a coaster as well.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, WoodVengeance said:

I agree. I know it was joked around that The Vortex structure was "sinking", but I guess there was some truth behind that meme because the whole area now looks like a giant sinkhole apart from the small drone pad.

I hope it isn't too much longer before we see some activity on that plot, but given Canada's Wonderland "supposed" launched wing coaster, that's already one possible candidate for 2025. Not to mention Carowinds is also due for a coaster as well.

Sadly I am thinking it may be 2026 for our next coaster. I really was hoping for 2025 but it is looking less likely by the day. 2024 is CP and Dorney for the new coasters. Maybe Carowinds gets either a water ride or SRR. Knotts looks like a kids area upgrade. I think we’ll see a new water slide in Soak City for 2024. Then I think in 2025 Carowinds and Canada’s wonderland will see new coasters and KI will get a Camp Snoopy update. Then in 2026 I think we will finally see our next coaster. I think there are 3 types of coasters that we need next that would be outstanding. Everything else would be good but these 3 types would probably be the best in the park. Number 1: Ground up RMC. Number 2: Mack xtreme spinner. Number 3: Intamin or Zamperla multi launch. 

• Like 1

I could see a zamperla multi launch going in if top thrill 2 works. I'm not so sure of an rmc any more due to multiple of their rides having reliability issues. I just hope that whatever goes in that spot eventually will be as photogenic as Vortex. I've always wanted a single rail but one capacity and two rmc's current reliability issues I think will make it not happen.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, thatbandguy8807 said:

I could see a zamperla multi launch going in if top thrill 2 works. I'm not so sure of an rmc any more due to multiple of their rides having reliability issues. I just hope that whatever goes in that spot eventually will be as photogenic as Vortex. I've always wanted a single rail but one capacity and two rmc's current reliability issues I think will make it not happen.

I personally think that's for the best since I've heard the current rmc raptors aren't aging well at all. From what I've read online, Wonder Woman Golden Lasso (Fiesta Texas) has already gotten rough and is in the process of getting refurbished and is planned to get new trains next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thatbandguy8807 said:

I don’t think a RMC is likely but it would be top 3 best fit for the park. My last post was about the top 3 best fits for KI anything else would be good but wouldn’t be the top 10 worthy coaster we need. I’m sure CF sees how successful Steel Vengeance was even with all of the issues it had. So it’s still a possibility even though a slim chance.

• Like 2

A ground up RMC would be nice. Completely steel with white painted supports. If they make it part of the Coney Mall section of the park. Shooting Star would be a perfect name for it. Which plays homage to the Coney Island classic. 

• Like 3