Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex

Klabergian Empire

9 hours ago, Snowball said:

Using Photoshop, I put the entire park inside of The Vortex land plot. I think this would be a great addition to the park.

KIVortexLand.png

New for 2021 at Kings Island, Kings Island! We were able to build and open Kings Island inside Kings Island with all your favorite rides and attractions. Come to Kings Island at Kings Island today!

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Maddog said:

Might be an unpopular opinion :ph34r:, but I think this space is going to be empty for awhile.  :mellow:

I tend to agree with this, the only think I see filling Vortex's land for a few years is either grass, or Monster Jam

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 2:14 PM, Maddog said:

Might be an unpopular opinion :ph34r:, but I think this space is going to be empty for awhile.  :mellow:

It's prime real estate, so I think they'll put a coaster there at some point. How the economy shakes out might be the difference of 2 years or more. 

*In an alternate world where log flumes are still a big thing, it'd be a great place to put one of those. They can be a trendsetter if they want though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KI Guy said:

*In an alternate world where log flumes are still a big thing, it'd be a great place to put one of those. They can be a trendsetter if they want though. 

The return of Kenton's Cove would be amazing!

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but financially there is no way Cedar Fair is spending on anything big for at least the next couple of years.  Brand new giga being unused in 2020 so far, their stock value plummeting...just be glad when KI is back open and don't even bother to speculate on this. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but financially there is no way Cedar Fair is spending on anything big for at least the next couple of years.  Brand new giga being unused in 2020 so far, their stock value plummeting...just be glad when KI is back open and don't even bother to speculate on this. 

It’s fun for many of us to speculate and talk to other people who love Kings Island. We all know nothing big will happen for awhile, but it’s still fun to talk about it.
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

This pandemic is probably setting all development plans back several years.  It might be 7 or 8 years before we see our next coaster.

Especially since they have to pay back a $1 Billion note in 2025 or lose their parks!

• Like 1

Seeing the 2020 CapEx cut in half (per their update a few weeks ago) makes me think that it'll be small time stuff for a while. I could see additions like the rumored 4D Freespin at Dominion and Switchback style Gravity Group for Dorney being the norm when coasters are called for.

37 minutes ago, JimParker85 said:

Seeing the 2020 CapEx cut in half (per their update a few weeks ago) makes me think that it'll be small time stuff for a while. I could see additions like the rumored 4D Freespin at Dominion and Switchback style Gravity Group for Dorney being the norm when coasters are called for.

If that is the case they might need to be paired with additional flat rides. In my opinion I don't think adding just a shuttle coaster or a 4d would work for KI like it would for mid/lower tier parks like KD and DP. KI pulls in over 3 million visitors during an operating season so the higher the capacity the better. It would have to come with a flat- similar to how we got Faceoff and Drop Zone in 1999- to help disperse the line a bit.

If we had to sacrifice a few years to save up enough money to get a higher capacity, quality coaster I would be all for it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Klabergian Empire said:

With all due respect, could you elaborate on this? I don't see how the Shooting Star would be a perfect fit or an economical one.

Originally, when designing The Beast, the park had wanted to build the Shooting Star where The Vortex was. Wooden coasters tend to much cheaper than steel coasters, and the park will need to build something to attract guests after Orion opens and the pandemic winds down. A coaster like that would fit the KI line up as well as provide another solid coaster for the park’s lineup.

The Shooting Star was beloved by Cincy, but there is evidence from executives from other contemporary parks that the coaster was mesmerizing. 

The last time there was a Coronavirus pandemic, the Toronto metro region was hit hard. That’s why CW got Time Warp. I think many large parks will follow that strategy, building small compact thrilling coasters to bring guests back.

2 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

Originally, when designing The Beast, the park had wanted to build the Shooting Star where The Vortex was. Wooden coasters tend to much cheaper than steel coasters, and the park will need to build something to attract guests after Orion opens and the pandemic winds down. A coaster like that would fit the KI line up as well as provide another solid coaster for the park’s lineup.

The Shooting Star was beloved by Cincy, but there is evidence from executives from other contemporary parks that the coaster was mesmerizing. 

The last time there was a Coronavirus pandemic, the Toronto metro region was hit hard. That’s why CW got Time Warp. I think many large parks will follow that strategy, building small compact thrilling coasters to bring guests back.

While I 110% agree that a return of the S.S. would be an amazing addition to the park, I see two problems with that:

1. The Vortex plot isn't big enough to rebuild the S.S

2. I seriously doubt that most people remember the S.S at Coney even was. Maybe enthusiasts and older folks might remmeber, but most park goers won't even know what it was.

• Like 1

And as much as I wouldn't mind seeing another wooden coaster come to the park, and as much as I like them in general, I will concede that the idea of a fifth (sixth, counting Racer twice) woodie at KI, just doesn't seem all that likely (unless its a low-maintenance topper-track, or relatively small GCI/Gravity Group for Planet Snoopy).

• Like 1

Vortex’s plot is definitely not big enough for that... sorry bruh, but i doubt that’s happening...

Shooting Star wasn't anything close to compact.  Imagine a ride with similar stats and layout to 1 side of Racer there.  It would require something be removed in some direction and would be pretty under capacity.   I think someone may be confusing Shooting Star with Wildcat at CI.  

Though, Grizzly at KD isn't much to write home about, especially compared to Beast and MT already on the premises. 

I'm still on club RMC as The Vortex replacement.  I'm not too concerned on inversion count because they're great rides even without inversions.  Something of similar size would be more of a concern, something in the 140-170 ft range. 

My second choice would be Mack launcher with some umph to it.  Not Copperhead style, I'm thinking more of something that can get up to 70+ mph (a few Macks have gotten to the mid-60 mph range so its not too far off to expect from them).  

My last choice, and this is coming out of left field, is an S&S Free Spin.  They have better capacity than some are letting on as I found demonstrated when I rode Joker at NJFTP.  It had a smoother running line than even some of the B&M's (Superman and GL) and Kingda Ka there.  It would definitely be an attention grabber like Vortex was.  

• Like 1

The Copperhead Strike on the last post got me thinking. What if Cedar Fair decides to start buying clones instead of original layouts for the time being? It would help cut down on R&D costs.

For example, cloning over Hangtime from Knotts Berry Farm wouldn't be a bad idea. Neither would Copperhead Strike.

49 minutes ago, LintemuthStudios said:

The Copperhead Strike on the last post got me thinking. What if Cedar Fair decides to start buying clones instead of original layouts for the time being? It would help cut down on R&D costs.

For example, cloning over Hangtime from Knotts Berry Farm wouldn't be a bad idea. Neither would Copperhead Strike.

I would rather wait 5+ years for a new original layout than get a clone of another coaster tbh.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I would rather wait 5+ years for a new original layout than get a clone of another coaster tbh.

I really don't get this mindset. If the coaster is good and adds value to the park, who cares if it's a clone? Most visitors to the park won't know the difference. Eventually an original coaster will come along.

Of course, that's assuming that they won't only add clones like Six Flags does. But it's a good temporary solution for a quick attendance boost post-pandemic.

• Like 1

I really don't get this mindset. If the coaster is good and adds value to the park, who cares if it's a clone? Most visitors to the park won't know the difference. Eventually an original coaster will come along.
Of course, that's assuming that they won't only add clones like Six Flags does. But it's a good temporary solution for a quick attendance boost post-pandemic.

i doubt they’d do it in Vortex’s spot tho, probably something with the plot of land behind Banshee...