Jump to content

Countdown to Opening Day for the 2021 Season: May 15th 11:00 AM!

Kings Island is now open for 2021.

Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Using Photoshop, I put the entire park inside of The Vortex land plot. I think this would be a great addition to the park.

Call me dumb but I would prefer not to have another wooden based coaster next to The Beast and Mystic Timbers

(Image source: visitkingsisland.com. Modified with: imgflip.com. Hotel: Trivago.)

Posted Images

Another question I must ask about this: Where would the transfer track/storage area go? Putting it where the brake run is may block the exit path and plus it is on a valley. The only way to put it before the first launch is to have one straight section that could fit the entire train before it hits the LSM fins. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Another question I must ask about this: Where would the transfer track/storage area go? Putting it where the brake run is may block the exit path and plus it is on a valley. The only way to put it before the first launch is to have one straight section that could fit the entire train before it hits the LSM fins. 

I am thinking that there will have to be one section of break run before a left hand turn into the waiting break before the station. That would put it on more level ground and also keep the station in its current position. Putting it before the launch would require the station move back towards the helix more and it wouldn't really fit. Having the final break run, station, transfer track and launch all facing that same direction towards The Beast I don't think is feasible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrSourNinja said:

I am thinking that there will have to be one section of break run before a left hand turn into the waiting break before the station. That would put it on more level ground and also keep the station in its current position. Putting it before the launch would require the station move back towards the helix more and it wouldn't really fit. Having the final break run, station, transfer track and launch all facing that same direction towards The Beast I don't think is feasible.

So like Orion's brake run? That station is pretty far off the ground. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I keep posting these, I just can't stop making concepts based on new ideas and videos of Velocicoaster. In this one, I add a little enclosed prelaunch section where it'll stop before the launch similar to Velocicoaster. Then after the tophat instead of an immelman, I put an outer bank turn like what Pantheon has then a zero g stall following it. I also made the station a little higher and made it look like a mill and I also have the entrance and exits instead of being on the sides I have it on the front of the station below the platform and before the stairs under the station is where they'd have small lockers for loose items like phones and keys and stuff. 

 

KI intamin blitz concept (2).png

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep them coming! Here is a mockup of something I was working on in FVD++.

 

Around 3,800ft of track, 3 inversions, 2 launches. 40mph and 60mph. 1 devilish stall. Also, remember to look at shadows to see the location of elements in the air. IE, The Beast doesn't lose its train shed and we don't cut into the path by WindSeeker.

 

@Hawaiian Coasters 325

vortexnew.png

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it. However, I would probably rather a regular top hat than an inverted one, but in no means am I complaining. Also, Idk if they'll do a pathway back there especially with the terrain. I probably would rather them just gut out the arcade building and use that as the queue line area. 

Edit: the more I think about it, I don't think adding a bridge pathway back there is a bad idea especially if it goes over and under you causing you to get great views of the ride like what Velocicoaster and Taron do. Also, could you do a POV of it? I would love to see it! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I like it. However, I would probably rather a regular top hat than an inverted one, but in no means am I complaining. Also, Idk if they'll do a pathway back there especially with the terrain. I probably would rather them just gut out the arcade building and use that as the queue line area. 

Edit: the more I think about it, I don't think adding a bridge pathway back there is a bad idea especially if it goes over and under you causing you to get great views of the ride like what Velocicoaster and Taron do. Also, could you do a POV of it? I would love to see it! 

There is a micro top hat, a stall, and an outerbank so no inverted top hat here, although I did consider it. And I definitely would like a boardwalk bridge style pathway or something to connect The Beast area and WindSeeker as I have always disliked those two dead ends.

 

I will upload a POV soon but it will definitely be a WIP one as there is a lot of supports and stuff to make still.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MrSourNinja said:

There is a micro top hat, a stall, and an outerbank so no inverted top hat here, although I did consider it. And I definitely would like a boardwalk bridge style pathway or something to connect The Beast area and WindSeeker as I have always disliked those two dead ends.

 

I will upload a POV soon but it will definitely be a WIP one as there is a lot of supports and stuff to make still.

@Hawaiian Coasters 325

 

Here is the WIP POV: 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Looks great! However, I feel like for the second launch it'd just go straight into it and accelerate and wouldn't stop like the first launch. 

It definitely could. Personally I stopped it because you lose a lot of speed anyways from the right turn and Maverick stops before that launch. Totally could be done either way though of course. 
 

I’m starting to think this plot of land isn’t big enough for a fast blitz as it would need a lot of turn arounds and that is also why the first half is so slow and tight. 
 

A RMC or Mack would probably fit better, even a Dive coaster would. 
 

thinking the blitz might end up being a better fit up at the front of the park to replace Invertigo and maybe even The Bat down the road. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MrSourNinja said:

It definitely could. Personally I stopped it because you lose a lot of speed anyways from the right turn and Maverick stops before that launch. Totally could be done either way though of course. 
 

I’m starting to think this plot of land isn’t big enough for a fast blitz as it would need a lot of turn arounds and that is also why the first half is so slow and tight. 
 

A RMC or Mack would probably fit better, even a Dive coaster would. 
 

thinking the blitz might end up being a better fit up at the front of the park to replace Invertigo and maybe even The Bat down the road. 

I definitely wouldn't mind a blitz in that location and something else here. Like in my concepts above, a large scale blitz would require a large chunk of the land behind The Vortex land near The Beast.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

A few years ago the then General Manager Greg Scheid at an event asked how we liked Thunderbird at Holiday World.   I don't know if there was any significance to this but it makes me wonder if a wing-rider launch is planned for the old Vortex area.   Seems like it would be a perfect spot.  ( Note:  I am usually wrong when I try to guess on amusement park plans.)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, markr said:

A few years ago the then General Manager Greg Scheid at an event asked how we liked Thunderbird at Holiday World.   I don't know if there was any significance to this but it makes me wonder if a wing-rider launch is planned for the old Vortex area.   Seems like it would be a perfect spot.  ( Note:  I am usually wrong when I try to guess on amusement park plans.)

Thunderbird is a walk on especially at HWN's.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, markr said:

A few years ago the then General Manager Greg Scheid at an event asked how we liked Thunderbird at Holiday World.   I don't know if there was any significance to this but it makes me wonder if a wing-rider launch is planned for the old Vortex area.   Seems like it would be a perfect spot.  ( Note:  I am usually wrong when I try to guess on amusement park plans.)

I believe he also asked about gold Striker as well and which one they liked better. I think the crowd cheered louder for Gold Striker so they went with a GCI for their next coaster. I believe they were deciding on what to add next after Banshee in 2014. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I believe he also asked about gold Striker as well and which one they liked better. I think the crowd cheered louder for Gold Striker so they went with a GCI for their next coaster. I believe they were deciding on what to add next after Banshee in 2014. 

CF would not make a purchase based on some enthusiast q&a.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markr said:

A few years ago the then General Manager Greg Scheid at an event asked how we liked Thunderbird at Holiday World.   I don't know if there was any significance to this but it makes me wonder if a wing-rider launch is planned for the old Vortex area.   Seems like it would be a perfect spot.  ( Note:  I am usually wrong when I try to guess on amusement park plans.)

Greg Scheid did consider putting in a wing coaster at the park, but at a different time than Thunderbird...I’d recommend checking out the book Kings Island: A Ride Through Time! ;)

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see completely different attractions here vs Cedar Point. No Dive, Wing ect. There seems to be enough companies and products out there to diversify their profiles. I know there will always be overlap (wood, invert ect) but this park could go with a Mach mega coaster with a launch, A new age Vekoma and have a kick a$$ ride without over lapping Cedar Point. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 11:12 PM, KIghostguy said:

Greg Scheid did consider putting in a wing coaster at the park, but at a different time than Thunderbird...I’d recommend checking out the book Kings Island: A Ride Through Time! ;)

IMO wing coasters have become saturated in our region; we have four within 5 hours of our own park. The only way a wing coaster works, again IMO, is if its gimmicky. A compact wing with a ton of near miss elements, like you see with X-Flight at Six Flags Great America, is the only type of wing coaster I would ever want to see at KI.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...