Jump to content

Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex


Klabergian Empire

Recommended Posts

On 2/6/2022 at 11:23 PM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Made another blitz concept. What I did is basically use Vortex's old station as inspiration and basically redesigned it in a more modern way that would fit the Fast Lane and regular queue. The switchbacks would be under the station and on the station platform level as well as to the right of the station near the tophat. Basically this blitz combines elements from Ispeed, Maverick, Taiga, and Velocicoaster into one. It also features 6 inversions so would help fill the inversion void left by Firehawk and Vortex. One of the inversions is a dive loop where the batwing was for that upclose moment from the midway. The theme would basically combine the carnival/old timey of coney mall and the country of Rivertown. The station basically resembles a horse race stadium which would honestly fit in either area as you have horse races at County Fairs and stuff. I give you Stallion! 

 

KI intamin blitz concept.jpg

If the park puts half the effort you have into all these concepts and squiggles, then we are in for a real treat LOL. I hope you are validated one of these days soon with an announcement, then you can say “see, I told you so in concept #37! Keep up the good work. I hope your check is in the mail. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Made another blitz concept! Same name and theme as before, but I made it very close to Ispeed/Red Fire. This would feature the lapbars like Red Fire and would be longer than it. Basically this is Ispeed/Red Fire plus a second launch and longer. Not an exact clone, but I decided to make it close, but a little different and longer and feature more block sections so it can run multiple trains. Basically I have it set up to run similar to Maverick (the 12 people blitz trains that run 2 at the same time so 6 trains total. Would feature a double loading platform like Maverick.)

 

KI intamin blitz concept.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/4/2022 at 9:06 AM, beastfan11 said:

This is just my opinion (and in no way directed at you), but I feel like the only people who would be unrealistically upset would be the mega-entitled coaster fanboy/girl community. The marketing and hype can be as much or as little as the park’s marketing department wants there to be. 
 

The hype for the original Tomb Raider was insane. I was like, 9 and I remember it to this day. The mystery of the ride was pushed and the overall experience (at the time) was satisfying and exciting. And that wasn’t a coaster.  It was still hyped as something of a similar caliber. 

I don't inherently disagree with you. The hype for a non-coaster can be insane if executed perfectly. It's just a lot harder to do. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/11/2022 at 1:57 PM, MrSourNinja said:

I don't inherently disagree with you. The hype for a non-coaster can be insane if executed perfectly. It's just a lot harder to do. 

And somewhat harder to sustain. Most non-coaster  “hype” campaigns are like Tomb Raider in that it’s the story, the experience, or the unknown you “have to ride it to find out” and once they have, the public interest can wane. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The “new” boat ride at Cedar Point was super popular last year.  KI needs more rides like that.    
 

However the terrain at The Vortex site is best suited for a coaster.     It would be a waste of terrain for something that could be built on flat land.   And I’m a proponent of total-family rides (dark rides, cable skyway, monorail etc) over coasters 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I rode the Tennessee Tornado for the first time at Dollywood, it was awesome and reminded me of the fun times I had on Vortex….  That is all, I’ll go whimper in the corner now.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2022 at 5:45 PM, Tr0y said:

I rode the Tennessee Tornado for the first time at Dollywood, it was awesome and reminded me of the fun times I had on Vortex….  That is all, I’ll go whimper in the corner now.

Did you meet Dolly?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's still surreal that it's gone. I look at the piece of track that I have and it still doesn't feel real even though it very much is the reality. It's exciting to think and discuss what the future holds for the space it occupied, but the sting of its absence is still felt. Another season of going to the park and not seeing the majestic old Arrow doing its acrobatics is still strange. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was thinking about this and cannot remember.  I believe there was not anything in this spot before The Bat was built except maybe part of the canoe lake.  But when did they build the path from where The Vortex entrance was going down to the LaRosa's Pizza building?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I still think a single rail coaster like Jersey Devil would be great there.

That ride is really fun and a massive "line eater" due to never stopping in the station.  Constantly moving...

Plus single rail coasters seem like "the next new thing" now.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, silver2005 said:

CF can't pull of continuous motion with their wild mice (at any park), what makes anyone think they'll do it with a RMC single rail?

I honestly don’t think Cedar Fair would ever do a continuous moving station in a rollercoaster. I think it goes against the IROC policies they follow. Six Flags does not follow the same protocols as Cedar Fair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Not really a full layout concept, but more of an idea of how they could route the station/queue line if they were to make it part of Rivertown which I honestly hope happens because I really want our next coaster to have a cowboy/western theme like Maverick! 

image.png

A cowboy themed coaster would be great for Rivertown. Especially with the new cowboy animatronics by the general store on the train route. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I think of frontier Cincy, I don't really have a mental image of Western cowboys and Indians.  More of settlers and pellet traders, then steamboats.  Soaps and candles from P&G and pigs when the area was known for meat packing (Slaughterhouse does fit the theme!).  There is a big difference between pioneers/settlers and cowboys.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Return of the Rotag said:

first lets hope they make the land walkable before putting in a frontier style town. as for a coaster, if Vortex could be there all these years (and supposable sinkage) then i guess another coaster could fit in with little to no land redevelopment.

It's simple. Just build the coaster underground so it can't sink.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Likely means nothing and I don't have pics bc I can't have my phone while working, but I have been noticing  a little bit of activity in The Vortex plot lately from the tower. A couple weeks ago, some gray trailers popped up. Obviously those could mean nothing, but its not wrong to speculate. Earlier today, I noticed a few pieces of equipment near the trailers. I believe I saw a digger and a mower (which obviously you need to mow the grass so the mower likely doesn't mean anything). I also saw people down in there as well. The equipment was there for like an hour and then they left the site. I believe one of the trees was also cut down. Kinda interesting, but likely doesn't mean anything so trying not to get my hopes up for anything major yet. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Likely means nothing and I don't have pics bc I can't have my phone while working, but I have been noticing  a little bit of activity in The Vortex plot lately from the tower. A couple weeks ago, some gray trailers popped up. Obviously those could mean nothing, but its not wrong to speculate. Earlier today, I noticed a few pieces of equipment near the trailers. I believe I saw a digger and a mower (which obviously you need to mow the grass so the mower likely doesn't mean anything). I also saw people down in there as well. The equipment was there for like an hour and then they left the site. I believe one of the trees was also cut down. Kinda interesting, but likely doesn't mean anything so trying not to get my hopes up for anything major yet. 

The mower might mean more than you think. I don’t believe the grass on The Vortex plot of land has ever been cut, but I noticed a section of it was mowed earlier today. I think it is plausible that the equipment could be used for taking soil samples in preparation for the planning of a new attraction. I think soil samples are taken 2-3 years before a new attraction opens, so it would make sense if Kings Island was planning to open a Vortex replacement in 2022 or 2023.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Being at the park today I looked and feel that if something big goes here. It needs to clearly be part of Coney and enter from the back area by WindSeeker. Rivertown is already visually and operationally busy enough at that entrance area, and the back of Coney is beyond dead. That whole end needs a refresh and reorganization with something meaningful going in The Racer turn around so you can really appreciate that (wish wind seeker went there years ago instead of where it is clogging the paths into that area ) and open up that whole plaza with an entrance to a new signature ride like “TheBigRedMachine”. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

The mower might mean more than you think. I don’t believe the grass on The Vortex plot of land has ever been cut, but I noticed a section of it was mowed earlier today. I think it is plausible that the equipment could be used for taking soil samples in preparation for the planning of a new attraction. I think soil samples are taken 2-3 years before a new attraction opens, so it would make sense if Kings Island was planning to open a Vortex replacement in 2022 or 2023.

Guess they don’t want to build another rollercoaster that sinks into the ground /s like Hawaiian said there was a bulldozer or something that cleared out some trees near the service road entrance I believe.  In addition I also saw a lot of activity near Banshees pretzel roll and the woods by AE.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

Guess they don’t want to build another rollercoaster that sinks into the ground /s like Hawaiian said there was a bulldozer or something that cleared out some trees near the service road entrance I believe.  In addition I also saw a lot of activity near Banshees pretzel roll and the woods by AE.

as always, we would love and greatly appreciate if you or any members of KIC could get some pictures from the Eiffel Tower of both areas!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

The mower might mean more than you think. I don’t believe the grass on The Vortex plot of land has ever been cut, but I noticed a section of it was mowed earlier today. I think it is plausible that the equipment could be used for taking soil samples in preparation for the planning of a new attraction. I think soil samples are taken 2-3 years before a new attraction opens, so it would make sense if Kings Island was planning to open a Vortex replacement in 2022 or 2023.

Something is going on, I can feel it. There has been a lot of activity going on at certain spots that only one can wonder if they have anything up their sleeves this next few years.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Orion742 said:

Something is going on, I can feel it. There has been a lot of activity going on at certain spots that only one can wonder if they have anything up their sleeves this next few years.

Let the games begin.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are there red/ blue/ yellow/ orange/ green spray paint markings on the ground outside of the fence?

That is typically a dead-giveaway that something is happening in the area.  Each color signifies something underground: utilities/ sewer etc.  These markings are needed before any digging is done.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Browntggrr said:

Are there red/ blue/ yellow/ orange/ green spray paint markings on the ground outside of the fence?

That is typically a dead-giveaway that something is happening in the area.  Each color signifies something underground: utilities/ sewer etc.  These markings are needed before any digging is done.

I didn’t notice any markings around the area, but I doubt a future attraction for that area is that far along. The marking are usually seen right before digging is done, but I think Kings Island might just be taking soil samples in the area which is conducted way before digging occurs. It will be interesting to watch what happens over the next few weeks and years, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...