Beast or Vortex?

Vortex_fan

Keep the beast or vortex?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 5 months later...

I don't understand the complaints of vest restraints.

"yOu DoN't GeT aIr TiMe" 

You're not supposed to get airtime on an inverting coaster. Yes some inverting rides pull it off but I'd personally sacrifice airtime so my head doesn't bang against old OTSRs.

If you want airtime, ride Diamondback or Mystic Timbers. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

"yOu DoN't GeT aIr TiMe" 

You're not supposed to get airtime on an inverting coaster. Yes some inverting rides pull it off but I'd personally sacrifice airtime so my head doesn't bang against old OTSRs.

If you want airtime, ride Diamondback or Mystic Timbers

I never got the hate hate either. I thought they were fine on coasters like Val Raven or Bluehawk. The only coaster I've had problems with vest restraints on is Banshee. I got a few rough rides on it the last time I visited and the restraints just made it even more painful. But the pain I got on the ride was not the restraints fault. 

22 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

"yOu DoN't GeT aIr TiMe" 

If you want airtime, ride Diamondback or Mystic Timbers. 

There should be some airtime on dive coasters though.  Valravn's big selling point is the weightlessness on the 2 vertical drops, but the problem is you're held down so tight with the vest restraints that its near non-existent.  I hope I get to Griffon or SheiKra to see if the old B&M restraints are better for a dive coaster. 

• Like 1

They are much better for dive coasters. Griffon has a much better drop than Valravn could ever wish to have because of it.. More research to be had with Yukon and Sheikra etc.. Vest restraints are bad for two reasons.. for me.

1. Stunted airtime. (I know you just expressed your annoyance with this complaint, but it's important on dive coasters mostly. But even Banshee would have a better drop in the back right side if it didn't have vest restraints.. and a better drop towards the batwing/ pretzel knot.. But, I just differ.. I can put up with some headbanging (or clever riding if possible) over losing some airtime.

2. They hurt... some people; I'm some people. Especially if they are the earlier, locking kind. They are really uncomfortable for my collarbones. The connection for the vest should be flush with seat, or even bowed out about the width of an average person. (see premier's vests. People hate on them.. but they don't complain about the pain; they hardly touch most people.. just annoying during boarding.)

• 1 month later...

@calakapepe I see your argument and understand why you say that but I'll have to personally disagree

When it comes to coasters that are more inversion focused, I don't look for airtime. With that said I'm fine with vest restrains on inverting coasters like Banshee, Valravn, GateKeeper, and others if it means I don't have to have my head banged.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

When it comes to coasters that are more inversion focused, I don't look for airtime. With that said I'm fine with vest restrains on inverting coasters like Banshee, Valravn, GateKeeper, and others if it means I don't have to have my head banged.

I agree.  Inverts are best at producing positive g forces. 

The invention of vest restraints allowed me to ride inverts again.  As I aged along with the coasters using over the shoulder restraint systems like Arrow loopers and early B&M inverts the rides became increasingly intolerable for me. I’m pretty short and my head sits in the perfect position to ricochet off each side the entire ride. Walking off Vortex in the early 2000s with a bloody ear, severe nausea, and a migraine was last time I rode an invert until the park got Banshee. Holy crap! It’s a completely different experience. I was convinced my ride tolerance for those intense positive gs was gone forever, but it was the restraint system causing most of my problem. 

Edited by amapan
Typo correction

• Vortex_fan changed the title to Beast or Vortex?